Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series

You have to understand the SEC's scheduling practices prior. They don't play anyone. Playing in the dome vs us is way riskier than South Georgia State at home. The SEC needs to fight that perception. I'm not sure an away game in Syracuse will move the needle - but compared to what they had been doing - it's a step in the right direction.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. Florida, South Carolina, Georgia all play their in state ACC rival, Alabama will play anyone to open the season, albeit they would typically get a crowd advantage in Atlanta. LSU just opened against Wisconsin. Auburn has played Clemson lately. I think these were all before the mandate. Tennessee typically has a name on their schedule and finally put VT on it in the future (that game makes too much sense given how close they are to each other).

Given how challenging their conference schedule is, I think one fairly tough OOC game is plenty.

The big thing the SEC needs to get rid of is that 1AA game that's always the 2nd to last week of the regular season. I can't believe television has allowed that to continue.

LSU fans don't care what we are, they want wins. When they roll over OOC teams, do you really think leaving the stadium they say "... we kicked their behinds...but boy that team had a great history before the year 2000."

I addressed the SEC mandating a P5 team, irrelevant. They scheduled SU because by them we are viewed as a low risk tomato can, they could have challenged themselves but the SEC rarely does OOC. SU is viewed as lower tier P5 team, only reason we were scheduled and they most likely already have an FCS on the schedule, I didn't look. They didn't want a challenge, they wanted a cake-walk. Period.

Same reason we scheduled UCONN. Looking into it any further is a waste of time.

LSU OOC schedule in 2015: Western Kentucky, McNeese State, Eastern Michigan, Syracuse
Same reason we scheduled UConn? Please tell me where we obligated to schedule a G5 school or AAC school?
The SEC/ACC mandate that teams schedule 1 P5 opponent in the OOC since they play 8 conference games. You are really not getting it if you think the LSU series is the same thing as the UConn series from LSU's perspective.

looking thru our 2016 acc games currently expected to play these teams are open on week 2: Louisville, Maybe fsu(fcs game to schedule still either 9/10 or week before florida) and maybe wake(2ooc games with no dates yet)

If Wake is still TBD with 2 of their opponents...Cuse better get on the phone to Wake and ask if they can come down to W-S in '16. Prime the pump now before we get stuck we an open date in week 2.

If Wake is still TBD with 2 of their opponents...Cuse better get on the phone to Wake and ask if they can come down to W-S in '16. Prime the pump now before we get stuck we an open date in week 2.
1 game is with army and army cant play 9/10 or 9/3 as they have a game schedule each week already

Same reason we scheduled UConn? Please tell me where we obligated to schedule a G5 school or AAC school?
The SEC/ACC mandate that teams schedule 1 P5 opponent in the OOC since they play 8 conference games. You are really not getting it if you think the LSU series is the same thing as the UConn series from LSU's perspective.

LSU would have played us without the mandate is the point. What about that don't you get?

LSU and SU do not need a mandate to play tomato cans. Regardless of conference affiliation or level.

SU playing LSU = SU is the tomato can
SU playing UCONN = UCONN is the tomato can

It is exactly the same thing from LSU's perspective AND it fills their mandate quota. Win Win for them and make no mistake, they scheduled SU as a layup.

Like I said, pretty simple.

LSU would have played us without the mandate is the point. What about that don't you get?

LSU and SU do not need a mandate to play tomato cans. Regardless of conference affiliation or level.

SU playing LSU = SU is the tomato can
SU playing UCONN = UCONN is the tomato can

It is exactly the same thing from LSU's perspective AND it fills their mandate quota. Win Win for them and make no mistake, they scheduled SU as a layup.

Like I said, pretty simple.
How can you say LSU would play us if the SEC didn't mandate that all of their teams schedule atleast one P5 game? I mean this statement has absolutely no way to be proven. I don't think saying LSU wants to play us because they think we are an easier opponent, but we fulfill their P5 quota. LSU HAS TO PLAY 1 P5 team OOC and while we are an easy opponent for them LSU needs us to fill their obligation and as Mark said SU is smart to be used as LSU's P5 mandate.

UConn does not fill any quota for Syracuse. I honestly don't get how you can make your point. We could pick a better "tomato" can than UConn. UConn is getting more of a benefit from this series than Syracuse is getting.

How can you say LSU would play us if the SEC didn't mandate that all of their teams schedule atleast one P5 game? I mean this statement has absolutely no way to be proven. I don't think saying LSU wants to play us because they think we are an easier opponent, but we fulfill their P5 quota. LSU HAS TO PLAY 1 P5 team OOC and while we are an easy opponent for them LSU needs us to fill their obligation and as Mark said SU is smart to be used as LSU's P5 mandate.

UConn does not fill any quota for Syracuse. I honestly don't get how you can make your point. We could pick a better "tomato" can than UConn. UConn is getting more of a benefit from this series than Syracuse is getting.

How can you say LSU would play us if the SEC didn't mandate that all of their teams schedule atleast one P5 game? I mean this statement has absolutely no way to be proven. Unfortunately for you it has no way to be disproven either. Look at their OOC history of opponents including 2015, any world beaters in there?

I don't think saying LSU wants to play us because they think we are an easier opponent, but we fulfill their P5 quota. LSU HAS TO PLAY 1 P5 team OOC and while we are an easy opponent for them LSU needs us to fill their obligation and as Mark said SU is smart to be used as LSU's P5 mandate. Key words in your rebuttal "I Don't Think", this isn't a matter of opinion. They clearly want to play us because we are an easy opponent in their eyes, look at not only their OOC opponents historically but ALL SEC OOC opponents, we are viewed as a layup.

You are way too fixated on the SEC mandate and not on why really good teams play bad teams.

Stop trying to prove you point and listen to the facts.

Anyone think that this might have been another chip in RW recruiting as his mom lives in Conn?
upload_2015-4-25_22-4-7.jpeg

How can you say LSU would play us if the SEC didn't mandate that all of their teams schedule atleast one P5 game? I mean this statement has absolutely no way to be proven. Unfortunately for you it has no way to be disproven either. Look at their OOC history of opponents including 2015, any world beaters in there?

I don't think saying LSU wants to play us because they think we are an easier opponent, but we fulfill their P5 quota. LSU HAS TO PLAY 1 P5 team OOC and while we are an easy opponent for them LSU needs us to fill their obligation and as Mark said SU is smart to be used as LSU's P5 mandate. Key words in your rebuttal "I Don't Think", this isn't a matter of opinion. They clearly want to play us because we are an easy opponent in their eyes, look at not only their OOC opponents historically but ALL SEC OOC opponents, we are viewed as a layup.

You are way too fixated on the SEC mandate and not on why really good teams play bad teams.

Stop trying to prove you point and listen to the facts.
I am done with you. We are being used by LSU(I agree with Mark 100% we should want to be used) because we are a P5 tea, and they need to schedule one because of their conference mandate. That is the short of it. UConn is NOT being scheduled because of a freaking mandate. If LSU didn't have to a P5 team for 2015 they would have likely scheduled a home guarantee opponent as their 4th game.

SU to LSU is NOT the same thing as UConn to SU.

I am done with you. We are being used by LSU(I agree with Mark 100% we should want to be used) because we are a P5 tea, and they need to schedule one because of their conference mandate. That is the short of it. UConn is NOT being scheduled because of a freaking mandate. If LSU didn't have to a P5 team for 2015 they would have likely scheduled a home guarantee opponent as their 4th game.

SU to LSU is NOT the same thing as UConn to SU.

LSU scheduling SU and the mandate is like my boss putting in place a mandate that I have to drive to work every day (which I already do). How is the mandate changing their behavior, in this case scheduling weak opponents? It's not.

SU to LSU is NOT the same thing as UConn to SU. It is the same, we just don't have a "mandate" to point to as a reason to schedule weak OOC.

People are thinking of UCONN as the team that went to the Fiesta bowl under Edsall BEFORE the p5 existed. Their recruiting has dried up and their boosters are openly questioning moving to D1 in the first place.

I think it would have been great to get a 2 for 1, but 1 for 1 just isn't that bad of a deal.

LSU scheduling us does another thing...they rarely if ever play a NE team not to mention to travel up to the NE. They will easily have 5-7k fans there. Most LSU fans are actually looking forward to doing something different than watching them kill SE/NE/NW/SW LA in Death Valley. I'm speaking about the alumni and well heeled local LA fans...the WalMart fans don't care for 1 less home game.

People are blasting me that UConn isn't at the top of the G5 Food Train?

Their record sucks currentlybut a few years ago they backed into the Fiesta Bowl
They play in the AAC probably the premier G5 league (arguable)
They won 4 Hoops Championships
They were a Big Boy in the Big East
They have garnered home and homes with schools like Michigan, Missouri and Tennessee.

UConn isn't EMU

EMU is going to be better.

This is a 5 page thread?

But only because people are so insistent to let everyone know they don't care. And why they don't care. And answer any objections that come up.

But other than that, nobody cares.

I'm not buying this "LSU scheduled us because we suck" thing.

When the series was scheduled we were coming off back to back seasons with bowl victories over P5 teams. We were a solid program moving into a better conference.

In 2011 LSU played Oregon as their p5 OOC opponent. In '13 they played TCU, and in '14 they played Wisconsin. But when they play SU it's just because they want an easy win? Their recent scheduling doesn't support that narrative.

As for UConn - it's a regional game against an opponent we have some history with, and an easy road trip for many of our fans. Sounds good to me

Last edited:
Not a huge deal since I think UConn to the B12 is a real longshot but...

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 12m12 minutes ago
Total sidebar but if you're a fan of BYU-Cincy-Memphis-UConn-UCF Bowlsby was clear that expansion isn't happening. Big 12 very dug in at 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom