TE Landon Morris / Portal from Utah to Temple | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

TE Landon Morris / Portal from Utah to Temple

This year it's a Pac 12 champion.
351CAEA6-F83A-4837-929D-E1257BD77051.gif

do we not use the TE or do we not throw to the TE. 2 different things.. I think like most of our WR they struggle to get open so they are a low option throw.

you know why Tampa throws to Gronk, because he is open, catches it, and the Oline never lets Brady get hit so he has time to look for him. none of those things is true in our offense.

do we not use the TE or do we not throw to the TE. 2 different things.. I think like most of our WR they struggle to get open so they are a low option throw.

you know why Tampa throws to Gronk, because he is open, catches it, and the Oline never lets Brady get hit so he has time to look for him. none of those things is true in our offense.

Passes to the tight end tend to be short and over the middle, so they would be the answer to problems with the line or or with throwing accuracy.

In the 6 years of Babers being HC we have never had a TE that was able to get open? Is it really the player, system or recruiting?

Or do we not try to see if a TE can get open by running a play in which they might be used to catch a ball. I think this is more likely the culprit. We had a WF game years ago where WF left the middle of the field so wide open, for at least the 2nd half of the game, it was laughable. Yes, we lost that game, which I guess is a given over the last 5/6 years.

In the 6 years of Babers being HC we have never had a TE that was able to get open? Is it really the player, system or recruiting?
We used ravian pierce effectively one season …… and then barely ever saw him again lol (although yes he had his antics)

I think you can go back thru the games and probably find at least 5 Tds to the TE that were dropped or poorly thrown. So they were getting called sometimes in key points in the game. I think it was more than just calling TE plays. i think we had issues with QBs reading the D correctly with pass blocking and with route running on top of ending up with a QB that was not very accurate. Benson really in his time here showed he was really a seam runner. But that play takes time and that was not a strength of our oline most of the time.

I think you can go back thru the games and probably find at least 5 Tds to the TE that were dropped or poorly thrown. So they were getting called sometimes in key points in the game. I think it was more than just calling TE plays. i think we had issues with QBs reading the D correctly with pass blocking and with route running on top of ending up with a QB that was not very accurate. Benson really in his time here showed he was really a seam runner. But that play takes time and that was not a strength of our oline most of the time.
Agree. There were some Big drops last few games in particular. Think there were a lot of reasons why TEs didn’t get many catches. Blocking issues, the designed routes weren’t great, getting open, QB throws etc.

It was envious seeing that Pitt monster TE keep getting touches though. Dude was huge. And an easy target to throw to.

Agree. There were some Big drops last few games in particular. Think there were a lot of reasons why TEs didn’t get many catches. Blocking issues, the designed routes weren’t great, getting open, QB throws etc.

It was envious seeing that Pitt monster TE keep getting touches though. Dude was huge. And an easy target to throw to.
yup thats the killer.. some of these TEs throws are to wide open guys who are not even running routes of any kind. When ours go out guys are in their hip pocket. Thats the issue here to me. Why do we consistenly across multiple DC coaches struggle to handle TEs and ours always seem to be in tight coverage.

Slightly OT, but just got from SLC for a vacation. Went to a Utes-Cal basketball game and walked by Rice-Eccles football stadium. What scenery for a college football game with the beautiful mountains right there rising over the stands. Amazing venue and view. Was site for 2002 SLC Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies.
Salt Lake City is one of my favorite cities in the country. Great people, underrated fun town.

I cannot wait to look back on this thread and say man remember that time our offensive coordinator and head coach ran off one of the best tight ends in the country! Lol

(Lewis/Lynch) 2016
Cam McPherson/Kendall Moore 6 catches; 0 TDs

(Lewis/Lynch) 2017
Pierce 29 catches, 4 TDs

(Lynch) 2018
Pierce 16 catches; 1 TD
Hackett 4 catches, 1 TD
Gabe Horan 1 catch, 1 TD

(Lynch) 2019
Hackett 23 in 2019, 6 TDs
Benson +8 in 2019, 3 TDs

(Gilbert) 2020
Hackett 10 in 2020, 2 TDs
Benson 8 in 2020, 2 TDs

(Gilbert) 2021
Benson/Mang 6 catches in 2021, 0 TDs

(maybe we should go back to Lynch as OC)

(Lewis/Lynch) 2016

(Lewis/Lynch) 2017
Pierce 29 catches, 4 TDs

(Lynch) 2018
Pierce 16 catches; 1 TD
Hackett 4 catches, 1 TD
Gabe Horan 1 catch, 1 TD

(Lynch) 2019
Benson +8 in 2019, 3 TDs

(Gilbert) 2020
Benson 8 in 2020, 2 TDs

(Gilbert) 2021

It's literally like Ilbert forgot that TE passes were even a thing that existed, from year over year.

Not that 18 catches is a whole lot, but + 3-4 TD's could easily have swung 1or 2 of those brutal 3 point losses the right way. Which would be a HUGE difference maker for this past season.

Going from a range of 18-31 catches, and 3-9 TD's...
to, basically nada, is what we're all griping about. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You're removing a facet of the game that opposing D's don't even have to consider, which means they can double down on the few things we did do consistently, and then shut those down.

(Lewis/Lynch) 2016

(Lewis/Lynch) 2017
Pierce 29 catches, 4 TDs

(Lynch) 2018
Pierce 16 catches; 1 TD
Hackett 4 catches, 1 TD
Gabe Horan 1 catch, 1 TD

(Lynch) 2019
Benson +8 in 2019, 3 TDs

(Gilbert) 2020
Benson 8 in 2020, 2 TDs

(Gilbert) 2021

Man really seemed like Hackett was primed for a big year coming off of 2019.

pretty sure Utah expects the TE to block in that power running game if they want to be on the field to catch passes.

Lol how do you know he cant block? He never even played here.

i dont know, just some comments that he really wanted to be a WR more than a TE.

Well he just went to Utah as a TE. I know its hard to swallow but as a Syracuse fan you have to admit we have pretty much abandoned the TE as a offensive option.

i dont know, just some comments that he really wanted to be a WR more than a TE.
Yup, that was said. I wonder if he used that as an excuse to leave. It was probably more that he felt he wouldnt get many opportunities to catch the ball so why should he buy into blocking? I dont know just speculating

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom