TE Landon Morris / Portal from Utah to Temple | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

TE Landon Morris / Portal from Utah to Temple

Glad I was a kid in the 80's before that crap really took hold. My Dad wasn't Marv Marinovich tough but definitely didn't coddle me and my brothers.
I grew up in the 80’s too and my old man was the first one to praise my play or told me I stunk up the joint. He was a straight shooter and didn’t sugarcoat anything. That’s why I’m such a good loser now. Kidding…. Kind of.

I think these are actually two different things. I see them as a coach too. You can be tough with your kid and at the same time coddle then when they lose and vice versa.

Ultimately though, I think we spend too much time comparing how kids are/aren’t different than the past we remember. Some kids today workout and dedicate themselves to their sports like it’s a full time job. Some don’t. We tend to focus too much on the ones that don’t and then compare them to previous generations. Some of these kids today literally put everything in to being the best at one sport.
Kids definitely seem to work more at their individual sports now where back in the day we tended to play many more sports. I think the discussion was geared more towards being able to handle loss. Not who worked harder.

Kids definitely seem to work more at their individual sports now where back in the day we tended to play many more sports. I think the discussion was geared more towards being able to handle loss. Not who worked harder.

I get that and wasn’t meant as an attack on anything you were saying, or anyone else. Just a general observation I see/hear a lot in general. Things are just different.

They definitely need to throw the ball more to the TE. Luke has speed but I think people boost him way too much because of that. There is no doubt he should get more touches along with all the TE's but they also have to show that they are that dude. Give the coach no choice but to showcase you. Im not sure we have the TE's that teams have to scheme to stop. Maybe we do now and will get to see it this fall. I thought we waisted Ravian Pierce. He was that hybrid type that you mentioned. I dont understand how he went from 30 catches his jr year to barely getting looked at the following ye
They definitely need to throw the ball more to the TE. Luke has speed but I think people boost him way too much because of that. There is no doubt he should get more touches along with all the TE's but they also have to show that they are that dude. Give the coach no choice but to showcase you. Im not sure we have the TE's that teams have to scheme to stop. Maybe we do now and will get to see it this fall. I thought we waisted Ravian Pierce. He was that hybrid type that you mentioned. I dont understand how he went from 30 catches his jr year to barely getting looked at the following year.
We completely wasted Ravian, i remember being beyond excited when we landed him and i thought he was gonna play a major factor for us for his 2 seasons, and then just being completely underwhelmed with how we used him. And i think it’s hard to say that we just didn’t have the TEs that coaches have to scheme to stop when we just don’t use them. The last time we used the TE was Ravian in 2017 then in 2018 we even ignored Ravian, i think this is more of a Dino problem than a problem with our talent at TE.

We completely wasted Ravian, i remember being beyond excited when we landed him and i thought he was gonna play a major factor for us for his 2 seasons, and then just being completely underwhelmed with how we used him. And i think it’s hard to say that we just didn’t have the TEs that coaches have to scheme to stop when we just don’t use them. The last time we used the TE was Ravian in 2017 then in 2018 we even ignored Ravian, i think this is more of a Dino problem than a problem with our talent at TE.

That's not what happened.

Ravian was used in 2017, and proved to be a weapon. In 2018, he was a walking personal foul, and the coaches got pissed about his lack of discipline and having those 15 yard penalties hurt the team, and they benched his a$$.

Ravian was used in 2017, and proved to be a weapon. In 2018, he was a walking personal foul, and the coaches got pissed about his lack of discipline and having those 15 yard penalties hurt the team, and they benched his a$$.
For sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that when he was on the field the production wasn’t the same, his YPC dropped by almost 3 full yards.

He had some very strange personal fouls.

Gonna look at it both ways. We were still very productive offensively in 2018 and Ravian had some on and off the field issues. I had totally forgot that happened. I know it played a part.

Last edited:

I loved the Rav Dog

Elmore looks like he lost 20-30 lbs honestly. Sure he'll block almost all the time but he slimmed down and could do more to surprise the defense.
This. Elmore is our 4th TE

I have a feeling (just a feeling) this loss may be addition by subtraction. (And I'm not saying the kid was a detriment to the team in any way). We shall see

Last edited:

Disagree. Wasn't he out with an Injury at least 3 games? Not benched. Out. Then recovering. I'm certain his injury has a 4-8 week recovery time. Technically, you might be able to play partially through it, but very sparingly.

Yes, it was a great season. I’m sure Ravian only getting 16 touches is the sole reason for us winning 10 games, solid point.
I’m saying it didn’t seem to stop us from winning and scoring points. I’d like to throw more to the TE too. I think folks are overly dismissive of the reasons we didn’t the last two years (bad OL forced us to keep the TE in more to generate any hope of offense).

Dino has been coaching longer than a lot of us have been alive, had prolific TEs in programs he’s been a part of, etc.

If the OL and running game look better this year, the TE will get the ball more.

Disagree. Wasn't he out with an Injury at least 3 games? Not benched. Out. Then recovering. I'm certain his injury has a 4-8 week recovery time. Technically, you might be able to play partially through it, but very sparingly.
Yeah I looked up some old Nunes threads about him.

He definitely missed at least 3 weeks, and I remember him being even more spotty when he came back. Whether that's due to his injury, or the coaching staff not trusting him, I can't say.

Last edited:

He had a coach or staff member assigned to him on the sideline because he was apt to fly off the handle at any time and fight with teammates, coaches, referees, the opposing team

He had a coach or staff member assigned to him on the sideline because he was apt to fly off the handle at any time and fight with teammates, coaches, referees, the opposing team
Guess they should have followed him around Marshall Street too. Reason he didn’t play that well when he came back might be because he was eating through a straw for a few weeks. Football players jaws break just as easy as everyone else apparently.

Not to sound like an old Military guy...but there is a thing called:

Team before Self.

You are a freshman...play the year out. Then reevaluate, quit when the damage is manageable for the program. I was immature in college too but I also wasn't on a full ride scholie at a pricey, private university. His act of self before the team hurt the program and might have screwed over another kid's chance to come to his dream school.

Team before Self.

You are a freshman...play the year out. Then reevaluate, quit when the damage is manageable for the program. I was immature in college too but I also wasn't on a full ride scholie at a pricey, private university. His act of self before the team hurt the program and might have screwed over another kid's chance to come to his dream school.
he also could have played/practiced his way into a bigger role as well. Could be is role wasnt what he wanted because he couldnt make the plays not that the system let him down.

Team before Self.

Do military guys typically judge people without knowing their circumstances? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom