Terry Lockett transferring to James Madison | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Terry Lockett transferring to James Madison

Terry played his heart out week after week next to Kevon in the dirtiest area of the field. Thank you, Terry, I salute your drive and toughness, and your wacky turnover celebration. Thank you for representing Massachusetts and our school with pride.

Terry is an absolute dog. Very happy that I'll get to keep watching him at UMass.

That's a bummer. I wondered if he would be a portal candidate when he didn't suit up for Wake. I know it was said he was injured. Just wondered still.

Under previous regimes, this loss would've upset me more. Under Coach Brown and Company, I view it as another open scholarship to fill, and another chance to improve the overall quality of players on the team. Best of luck, Terry. In Fran I Trust.
Might already be filled, on the down low

Terry is an absolute dog. Very happy that I'll get to keep watching him at UMass.
Do we know he’s headed to UMass?

Sucks but we knew we would lose guys. This is the new normal, regardless of coach new or existing you will lose guys. Starters and bench guys. Honestly with the coaching change, we have had very minimal number of transfer so far which is telling. As others eluded already, with Frans recruiting this is now another scholly to utilize for a new stud player.

The prospect of replacing him with a higher rated DL prospect isn't "spin."

I'm more concerned about this for bowl game implications, not next year. It's unfortunate, but every open scholarship is an opportunity to enhance the talent base with a staff that recruits like this new one can.

You might be plugging in a more productive DEnd guy like Diggs, and then you can move Lockett back inside where he's suited. But overall our DLine depth is terrible and this kid is a starter off a very good defense. We also have to replace Caleb O to AND probably Darton.

If you want to compete next year you need Diggs AND Lockett.

If you want to lose a line guy it's Bassette.

Last edited:
The last couple of years I would freak out that our players hit the portal with Coach Fran now I look at it as an opportunity. Wish Lockett all the best in his next stop and hope he finds success both on and off the field.

Kid from A&M will take his spot.

Who's taking Caleb O's spot and Darton's spot ?

I don't think Lockett was given the talk but that's my opinion.

Anyhow onward and upward, here's where we are currently at:

Inside guys
Kevon Darton (senior walk might not return) 5-11 271
Braylen Ingraham 6-4 301
Elijah Fuentes Cundiff 6-4 280
Rahard Perry 6-3 278 soph - token snaps
Ty Gordon 6-1 273 redshirt freshman hasn't played

Ends
Diggs 6-4 255 sr (tamu transfer)
Chad Simmons 6-4 235
Jaquez (2nd season ending injury in a row) 6-4 255
Kevin Jobity 6-4 263

Not sure where projected

Jalil Smith 6-5 266 redshirt freshman has not played

Incoming recruits (has McMorris confirmed?) all DEnds
Tristen Graham 6-2 235
Jahide Lesaine 6-4 215
David McMorris 6-2 255

You might be plugging in a more productive DEnd guy like Diggs, and then you can move Lockett back inside where he's suited. But the overall our DLine depth is terrible and this kid is a starter off a very good defense. We also have to replace Caleb O to AND probably Darton.

If you want to compete next year you need Diggs AND Lockett.

If you want to lose a line guy it's Bassette.
I want to be clear -- I'm not putting Lockett down, or trying to minimize his contributions.

He was a solid performer throughout his time at SU. But let's not overstate his value. He was a good not great talent. Solid platoon guy, who might not see the field at an elite school. Here, he was a starter, playing out of position.

It is incumbent upon the coaching staff to replace him. If they do, then I'll salute Terry for his contributions and be more excited about higher rated guys we have stepping in to replace him.

Diggs > Lockett, as a true DE [to say nothing about the likelihood of KingJoseph Edwards choosing SU]

And if we're focusing exclusively about backup depth at DT from Lockett's departure -- TBD

But I agree, Lockett would provide platoon depth at his more natural position, DT. Now, if we also bring in other DT, and specifically higher rated guys [example of a realistic prospect of this type - Will Norman], then I'm not going to sweat this. Ditto if we land Matthews and Watson.

We all knew that there would be attrition when the coaching change occurred. I view it as an opportunity for Coach Brown and his staff to add talent to a talent-needy roster.

Last edited:
Lockett seemed a bit off with his injury from Freshamn season. Either way losing experienced beef up front is a hit. I think Ingraham played well up front. If he can get in a bit better shape i can see him starting. Going to UMass is interesting

I want to be clear -- I'm not putting Lockett down, or trying to minimize his contributions.

He was a solid performer throughout his time at SU. But let's not overstate his value. He was a good not great talent. Solid platoon guy, who might not see the field at an elite school. Here, he was a starter, playing out of position.

It is incumbent upon the coaching staff to replace him. If they do, then I'll salute Terry for his contributions and be more excited about higher rated guys we have stepping in to replace him.

Diggs > Lockett, as a true DE

But I agree, Lockett would provide platoon depth at his more natural position, DT. Now, if we also bring in other DT, and specifically higher rated guys, then I'm not going to sweat this.

We all knew that there would be attrition when the coaching change occurred. I view it as an opportunity for Coach Brown and his staff to add talent to a talent-needy roster.
Yup. With a few exceptions, EVERY scholarship that opens up is an opportunity for Fran Brown.

I agree with Phat in the sense that DL is going to be a premium. We need size and numbers there.

…but every open scholarship is an opportunity to enhance the talent base with a staff that recruits like this new one can.
Let’s hope more guys enter the portal.

So - does he play in the bowl game still, or no?

Hope that, IF Fran & ERob wanna keep him, that they can.
And if not, that we can replace him with an even more talented option.
We know they can do that.

'Tis the season... :confused:

I believe Nunzio said if they graduated they can play in the bowl.

Inside guys
Braylen Ingraham 6-4 301

Ends
Chad Simmons 6-4 235
Kevin Jobity 6-4 263

Not sure where projected

Jalil Smith 6-5 266 redshirt freshman has not played

Incoming recruits (has McMorris confirmed?) all DEnds
Tristen Graham 6-2 235
Jahide Lesaine 6-4 215
David McMorris 6-2 255

Perry burned his redshirt?

Inside guys
Braylen Ingraham 6-4 301

Ends
Chad Simmons 6-4 235
Kevin Jobity 6-4 263