Thamel gives some names | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Either hire wouldn't be best choice and would really tell me nobody will take the job.
I mean you can have your opinion but you really have no idea who is or isnt interested or more importantly who wildhack wants to hire and nor do I but the comment is a real reach.

I mean who is to say that Lewis wouldn’t be better than candle? Not all MAC programs are created equally

Last edited:
Whoever they hire better have a quarterback they can bring with them. The cupboard is completely bare at Syracuse. Whoever they hire, he better be someone who players in the portal know and want to play for. This roster is devoid of a single, explosive offensive player. I’m not counting on OG coming back. We don’t have anyone on this roster who gets a step and is gone.

I doubt JW would leak to Thamel his list, especially guys who are currently HCs. It would anger the HC in that case. More likely these are agent leaks trying to promote their client.

As that list I would rank them...

Cignetti - not sure he would have interest.
Chesney - bit of a risk jumping from FCS.
Golden - I think he would recruit the Northeast well.
White - I like him but he was part of SU teams that went 13-23. And what about the O?
Candle - would he leave before the MAC CG?
Lewis - good O mind. Not sure if he can recruit or have any D.
Marrone - rather take a chance on Outten at this point.
Mendenhall - being stubborn IMO is a reason to not hire him.
Coen - don't see the draw here. Seems risky.
Austin - no relevant college experience and a D guy.

Well they lost to BC and Army which are a step above. The fact he welcomes that competition is all I need. Played Army as tough as we did and they had BC on the ropes.

He’s a sensational coach.
Both BC and Army are bad football teams that could be beat.

I've only read the first page here but i see a lot of disdain for a Marrone return.

I just want to put it out there that Marrone had us going the right way, meathead or not. 2 bowls in 4 years, and by the end of 2012 that team was rolling. Hell, the HCSS Texas Bowl was just riding what Marrone left.

That said Marrone came in after GRob and was a disciplinarian in a time when we needed it. The team is currently far more athletic than Marrone's teams ever were. Id personally rather go in another direction but i don't think Marrone would be the end of the world.

I've only read the first page here but i see a lot of disdain for a Marrone return.

I just want to put it out there that Marrone had us going the right way, meathead or not. 2 bowls in 4 years, and by the end of 2012 that team was rolling. Hell, the HCSS Texas Bowl was just riding what Marrone left.

That said Marrone came in after GRob and was a disciplinarian in a time when we needed it. The team is currently far more athletic than Marrone's teams ever were. Id personally rather go in another direction but i don't think Marrone would be the end of the world.
The second go round NEVER works out. Never go back to an ex.

Not to mention, I can't see Doug having the appetite to recruit, especially with NIL.

I doubt JW would leak to Thamel his list, especially guys who are currently HCs. It would anger the HC in that case. More likely these are agent leaks trying to promote their client.

As that list I would rank them...

Cignetti - not sure he would have interest.
Chesney - bit of a risk jumping from FCS.
Golden - I think he would recruit the Northeast well.
White - I like him but he was part of SU teams that went 13-23. And what about the O?
Candle - would he leave before the MAC CG?
Lewis - good O mind. Not sure if he can recruit or have any D.
Marrone - rather take a chance on Outten at this point.
Mendenhall - being stubborn IMO is a reason to not hire him.
Coen - don't see the draw here. Seems risky.
Austin - no relevant college experience and a D guy.

Well someone leaked that Dino was going to be fired to Thamel as he had it before anyone. So I imagine his info is pretty good.

Well they lost to BC and Army which are a step above. The fact he welcomes that competition is all I need. Played Army as tough as we did and they had BC on the ropes.

He’s a sensational coach.
He may be fantastic, but a currently 4 loss coach in a lower level league seems like settling.

A successful power 5 OC would be nice.

Wait, what does this mean?
He's coached at 'Johns Hopkins' (not lax either), 'Salve Regina?', 'Assumption??', and 'Holy Cross' (finally a name I recognize).

I feel like this is one of the board's insider / payside jokes that I don't understand.
In coaching circles, he's very well respected...by people who also coach football for a living at a high level. And he's also made Holy Cross a perennial playoff team, when they'd only made the playoffs twice prior to his arrival. As a gameday coach, and from a player development standpoint, he has proven chops and I think could be a good, possibly great, hire.

My biggest concern with him is that literally his entire career, even as an assistant, has been at Catholic schools. Those saying he has solid, long term roots in northeast recruiting are right, but it's not the type of feeder schools SU would likely ever recruit from. The private Catholic universities have feeder high schools in the northeast parochial schools, which is where Chesney is getting a lot of his talent. Those schools don't have very many FBS prospects at all. The ones they do have go to either 1) ND or 2) BC. He'd have to build a new recruiting network.

I also wonder if he likes being in the Catholic school ecosystem. Based on how well thought of he is, I have to believe he's gotten some MAC or other G5 HC offers over the past few years, yet he's still at Holy Cross.

We could do much worse, but the risk/reward profile is really out there. It's a real leap of faith to think he can make the jump to navigating NIL, the portal, and recruiting ACC level talent based on Patriot league experience. Not to mention he has no built in network of P5 level staff he's worked with, ad he'd have to put an ACC staff together pretty quickly. I do think he could develop and scheme the best out of whatever talent he brought here, though.

He may be fantastic, but a currently 4 loss coach in a lower level league seems like settling.

A successful power 5 OC would be nice.
He lost sluka for multiple games and was able to keep it afloat too fwiw.

Lost to two power 5 teams, one is bowling.

I think you are not up to speed on the HC program. They are going to get an at large for the playoffs too. With a healthy Sluka they could make a run.

Our last great HC came from a directional Connecticut school. Before that our HC came from Umass. History don’t lie.

In coaching circles, he's very well respected...by people who also coach football for a living at a high level. And he's also made Holy Cross a perennial playoff team, when they'd only made the playoffs twice prior to his arrival. As a gameday coach, and from a player development standpoint, he has proven chops and I think could be a good, possibly great, hire.

My biggest concern with him is that literally his entire career, even as an assistant, has been at Catholic schools. Those saying he has solid, long term roots in northeast recruiting are right, but it's not the type of feeder schools SU would likely ever recruit from. The private Catholic universities have feeder high schools in the northeast parochial schools, which is where Chesney is getting a lot of his talent. Those schools don't have very many FBS prospects at all. The ones they do have go to either 1) ND or 2) BC. He'd have to build a new recruiting network.

I also wonder if he likes being in the Catholic school ecosystem. Based on how well thought of he is, I have to believe he's gotten some MAC or other G5 HC offers over the past few years, yet he's still at Holy Cross.

We could do much worse, but the risk/reward profile is really out there. It's a real leap of faith to think he can make the jump to navigating NIL, the portal, and recruiting ACC level talent based on Patriot league experience. Not to mention he has no built in network of P5 level staff he's worked with, ad he'd have to put an ACC staff together pretty quickly. I do think he could develop and scheme the best out of whatever talent he brought here, though.

He’s pulling kids from the ISL which aren’t catholic (st Sebs only one).

We pulled our best guys from catholic schools like Rob Konrad from Prep.

I’m not worried about the catholic aspect at all. It’s a benefit. Maybe we can get the Orange over to Ireland. Maybe they’ll be convinced we’re catholic lol

He lost sluka for multiple games and was able to keep it afloat too fwiw.

Lost to two power 5 teams, one is bowling.

I think you are not up to speed on the HC program. They are going to get an at large for the playoffs too. With a healthy Sluka they could make a run.

Our last great HC came from a directional Connecticut school. Before that our HC came from Umass. History don’t lie.
What's a Sluka? I know nothing about Holy Cross or the Patriot League.

I hope this is a national search.

If at the end of a couple weeks of said National Search, the HC coach is the best we can do, then so be it.

Concerned w the names at the top of some of these lists.

He’s on good terms with Wildhack

I don’t know about the board composition but the executives he had a problem with are gone
If we are being fair and you put up resumes of all the names mentioned he would be a no brainer.

Other than people being mad that he left his dream job, why not?

And the only plus I can really see is that he probably has the best shot at keeping the kids we want to keep.
Nobody we would want to keep is worth not taking the best potential candidate for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom