Thamel gives some names | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

I doubt JW would leak to Thamel his list, especially guys who are currently HCs. It would anger the HC in that case. More likely these are agent leaks trying to promote their client.

As that list I would rank them...

Cignetti - not sure he would have interest.
Chesney - bit of a risk jumping from FCS.
Golden - I think he would recruit the Northeast well.
White - I like him but he was part of SU teams that went 13-23. And what about the O?
Candle - would he leave before the MAC CG?
Lewis - good O mind. Not sure if he can recruit or have any D.
Marrone - rather take a chance on Outten at this point.
Mendenhall - being stubborn IMO is a reason to not hire him.
Coen - don't see the draw here. Seems risky.
Austin - no relevant college experience and a D guy.
200.gif

I get the same feeling
It has a really bad pr attachment. Dino was so bad he held back his coordinators.

I’m high on chesney but weirdly I’m all in on Marrone if he had the energy to come back and finish the job effectively. He may be watered down at this point but I’m intrigued by 2.0 because he can coach o line and we need that more than anything.

Aside from those two I’d go meatball football with al golden who knows this area well.

There are a lot of people dug in like ticks with the Marrone hate
I love marrone. I have zero animosity towards him as a coach. It’s illogical to hold it against him for taking an NFL HC job. I mean Mac did too. The exit was a bit exotic but who cares.

I have concern about his energy level and if he’d be taking this for a paycheck at this point. We need a guy all in. Not a guy looking for a 4mm per w2

Whoever they hire better have a quarterback they can bring with them. The cupboard is completely bare at Syracuse. Whoever they hire, he better be someone who players in the portal know and want to play for. This roster is devoid of a single, explosive offensive player. I’m not counting on OG coming back. We don’t have anyone on this roster who gets a step and is gone.
This is actually another reason I like Candle. He has a 3 year starter QB who could transfer here for his Senior season. He's a dual threat and is leading the MAC in every passing category. Toledo also has a decent QB and WR commit in their class at the moment I wouldn't mind us grabbing either.

I love marrone. I have zero animosity towards him as a coach. It’s illogical to hold it against him for taking an NFL HC job. I mean Mac did too. The exit was a bit exotic but who cares.

I have concern about his energy level and if he’d be taking this for a paycheck at this point. We need a guy all in. Not a guy looking for a 4mm per w2
Marrone in a NIL and portal world seems like a disaster. Great on game days, but not equipped for the other parts of the gig.

Marrone in a NIL and portal world seems like a disaster. Great on game days, but not equipped for the other parts of the gig.
I would think it’s more like the nfl with free agency. Not totally reliant on high schoolers. The school would need to commit to providing resources to support talent acquisition.

You might be right about that but I’m a little frustrated by the low ceiling names being tossed out here. Hopefully the AD is making an attempt to contact some bigger names than what I’m seeing. For instance - Lincoln Riley is wearing out his welcome already at USC. Maybe throw that him a big offer. Gotta try
LR has $80 million left on his contract. USC has a Jimbo Fischer sized problem.

It’s just small people being small when it comes to Marrone and still being butthurt about him leaving for a NFL HC job.

My biggest concerns would be his age and desire at this point. What we can’t have is him signing on and 3 years later wanting out for (insert reason).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom