Thamel gives some names | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

I will give you some personal inside from a BYU personal friend and super fan about Mendenhall:

I have a hard time believing he would come out of retirement. He’s an outstanding defensive coach, and not a bad head coach. He’s quirky is all get out and they really odd duck. Overall, I like him though.

He’s a solid fundamental type of coach. He bothered the BYU folks by publicly saying that basketball was not his first priority; probably his third behind the church and his family. Nothing wrong with that but probably not best to publicly proclaim itfans, even the religious BYU folk want basketball to be their coaches top priority. They gripe about him a lot near the end, but believe me, they would give anything to have him back.

In my opinion, Syracuse would be lucky as hell to have a Head coach as qualified as Bronco. A man of faith, discipline, and football success. I’d propose keeping a few of the current staff for year 1, so Syracuse wouldn’t have to incur multiple position and coordinator buyouts. Basically just replacing Dino with Bronco.

The problem with those BYU folks is that they thought Mendenhall was the basketball coach.

Translation: he’s African American. Which is a valid point and I think helped Dino to an extent. Obviously the university has proven it values, if not prioritizes, minority hires. I do think he’s a good coordinator, but is that enough? His ties to the area didn’t keep him from bolting for the same gig at Nebraska
No dude, he's just a great coach. I could care less if Tony is black not

Of course it’s a consideration. This is not a gut and rebuild The next guy needs to improve a couple of positions and figure out how to stay healthy enough to win another game or two.
'Gut'? Kids leaving on their own is not gutting.

Let them go, if they even go.

Find the best possible candidate.

Suggesting we limit our choices somehow binding them to the whims of 5-6 of our current best players, from our current mediocre team, each w 1-2 years left, is crazy.

Forget the past. Onwards and upwards.

It's a brave new NIL world. Embrace the change.

If the coach is good enough, they will stay.

No dude, he's just a great coach. I could care less if Tony is black not
color dont mean shiiiit. i want the best guy we think will win here and stay for a bit. if thats white or someone else im good.

I love marrone. I have zero animosity towards him as a coach. It’s illogical to hold it against him for taking an NFL HC job. I mean Mac did too. The exit was a bit exotic but who cares.

I have concern about his energy level and if he’d be taking this for a paycheck at this point. We need a guy all in. Not a guy looking for a 4mm per w2
And Marrone’s kid plays at Colgate. Maybe he’d like to be in the neighborhood again.

Lewis > White

simple fact offence is more important than defence in college football.
Exactly what many were clamoring for when Dino was hired. How'd that work out?

color dont mean shiiiit. i want the best guy we think will win here and stay for a bit. if thats white or someone else im good.
It's weird to me how race & religion & some other things are so casually brought up as factors to consider. Could care less about the coaches race or faith. More interested in what they are calling on 4th & 1 from the 45.

If Prime comes here I'm heading back to CO
I wouldn’t hate him getting hired (I wont hate anyone who is hired) but I will be prepared for a new coach in 2 years, win or lose.

It's weird to me how race & religion & some other things are so casually brought up as factors to consider. Could care less about the coaches race or faith. More interested in what they are calling on 4th & 1 from the 45.
exactly

Translation: he’s African American. Which is a valid point and I think helped Dino to an extent. Obviously the university has proven it values, if not prioritizes, minority hires. I do think he’s a good coordinator, but is that enough? His ties to the area didn’t keep him from bolting for the same gig at Nebraska
Maybe one of the reasons he left was he grew tired of working for Dino?

Exactly what many were clamoring for when Dino was hired. How'd that work out?
True true no doubt.

White similar to Shafer to me though as well. Hearing the whole guys will run through a wall for him etc.

Reality is we don’t really know but nice whoever it is to have some hope.

Candle consistently does less with by far the most resources and talent in the MAC. He would fail here. Pass.

Bronco would be incredible. Hopefully Beck and Anae have good things to say about Cuse.
If you can get Mendenhall out of retirement and off his horse ranch in Big Forks, Montana good luck to you.
He says he's left the door open to listening to HC job openings but I think he's pretty much done with football, IMO.

And this year he's getting his last contractual payment of $3,950,000 from VA.

You'd have to start at $5,000,000 or more with him and buy him a house in Skaneatles with land for horses.

Who knows what Deion’s issue with Lewis was but his O was high flying to start the year, Lewis’ O at Akron was racking up points just like here until Lewis left.

He’s a likable, dynamic guy with a resume. I would take him in a second.
He’s probably a close second for me

Approximately how many times have you refreshed this site today?
I live in Tampa, FL and went to the GTech game. We drove home today and between rest stops, holiday traffic jams and a planned detour to a Christmas tree farm in Pasco County, FL, we were in a car for 10+ hours. My wife drives most of the way because she prefers to. So, I was a passenger with plenty of time. I truly believe I have read everything on all pertinent threads since Pete Thamel's original tweet at about 9:30am.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom