Thamel gives some names | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Nothing. Yet.

But if TW ends up being ADJW's choice, then obviously he's seen enough of TW the man & the coach to believe he has the chops needed to fix the issues.

As another poster said, Babers wasn't "that far off" so to speak - and I agree. So many close games were lost simply due to Dino's poor in-game decision making. You hire the next guy bc you believe he will be better than the last guy, so IF JW hires TW, it will be bc he considers him an upgrade over DB - and the expectation would therefore be that White will be able to clean up many of the lingering issues from the Babers era.

I disagree with that. While Dino's ingame management was awful and frustrating as can be, I don't think it cost us actual Ws. Same with the penalties, which BTW are also on the OC and DC not just Dino. So why would we believe those get fixed?

The problem was recruiting, and inept O, and no shows/unprepared games. Both Beck and White were part of the recruiting and no shows, so why would we believe those to stop? Beck was part of the inept O, so why does that change without Dino?

Both Beck and White contributed to our main issues. The minor issues that were solely on Dino, are secondary issues. If hiring White fixes the secondary issues, it won't make much of a difference unless the primary issues are resolved.

2 years, no other QBs, and a terrible offense against P5 opponents. He has no business being in the discussion.
No other QB's because Sellers got bought by USC at the end of recruiting and that is what will happen to every other high level QB who fits into the modern offenses. Lamson left because he wanted to compete for the starting job and in his heart of hearts, Dino knew the o-line couldn't pass block good enough to protect him, like the Devito experiment. People need to stop trying to put square blocks into round holes. SU can get QB's like Dungey, Shrader, Villari, just build an offense around their strengths like the one they implemented for the last 3 weeks. Have 3 or 4 guys like that, that can play TE/WR.QB.HB. Then you don't have this huge fall off when one of them is injured and the guy behind him plays a whole different set of skills which is almost a different offense.

I disagree with that. While Dino's ingame management was awful and frustrating as can be, I don't think it cost us actual Ws.
Then you must have missed A LOT of games during the Babers era.

Because I saw MULTIPLE games - and the resultant post game meltdowns they inspired - where Dino DIRECTLY impacted the final LOSING score with his bad clock management or numerous in-game strategic blunders.

Then you must have missed A LOT of games during the Babers era.

Because I saw MULTIPLE games - and the resultant post game meltdowns they inspired - where Dino DIRECTLY impacted the final LOSING score with his bad clock management or numerous in-game strategic blunders.
He makes his worst decisions in games they get killed generally. I think it goes hand in hand with him giving up a lot

No other QB's because Sellers got bought by USC at the end of recruiting and that is what will happen to every other high level QB who fits into the modern offenses. Lamson left because he wanted to compete for the starting job and in his heart of hearts, Dino knew the o-line couldn't pass block good enough to protect him, like the Devito experiment. People need to stop trying to put square blocks into round holes. SU can get QB's like Dungey, Shrader, Villari, just build an offense around their strengths like the one they implemented for the last 3 weeks. Have 3 or 4 guys like that, that can play TE/WR.QB.HB. Then you don't have this huge fall off when one of them is injured and the guy behind him plays a whole different set of skills which is almost a different offense.
The team shouldn’t look for QBs like shrader and Villari (and really Villari as a good example of a QB Syracuse can get? Hunt and even AJ long were better than him.) If that’s the best of what beck can bring then I’ll pass. As for sellers, if he was putting his eggs in the sellers basket then he has zero foresight.he should’ve been working on actually developing a QB versus needing to find a diamond in the rough. No reason CDRW was so bad if he was being taught by a QB guru.

I feel like he'll get the Mich State job right?
I'm a Toledo native and STH for the Rockets. I get the interest by some on here for Candle. It's kind of odd that after so much success here, he really hasn't gotten that much interest from bigger schools, or at least it hasn't been noted publicly around here. I can tell you he's as dull as dry toast in interviews. Maybe that's why he hasn't gotten much attention before this year. Could also be that he's waiting for the right offer instead of the best offer. Toledo fans seem neither hot or cold towards him, and the same fans were pissed when Campbell took the Iowa St job. He's just ok to me. His offense is a lot of screens and deep sideline passes. They always seem to have 2 or 3 good running backs and they play them. I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick. Just think there are a few better options. Hope he gets the MSU job, but considering the rumor was that Urban Meyer was at the top of their wish list, I get the feeling that, despite all the controversies up there lately, they still haven't learned their lesson. Thought for sure Chris Creighton would have gotten an interview at least, but he's having a rough year at Eastern.

I'm a Toledo native and STH for the Rockets. I get the interest by some on here for Candle. It's kind of odd that after so much success here, he really hasn't gotten that much interest from bigger schools, or at least it hasn't been noted publicly around here. I can tell you he's as dull as dry toast in interviews. Maybe that's why he hasn't gotten much attention before this year. Could also be that he's waiting for the right offer instead of the best offer. Toledo fans seem neither hot or cold towards him, and the same fans were pissed when Campbell took the Iowa St job. He's just ok to me. His offense is a lot of screens and deep sideline passes. They always seem to have 2 or 3 good running backs and they play them. I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick. Just think there are a few better options. Hope he gets the MSU job, but considering the rumor was that Urban Meyer was at the top of their wish list, I get the feeling that, despite all the controversies up there lately, they still haven't learned their lesson. Thought for sure Chris Creighton would have gotten an interview at least, but he's having a rough year at Eastern.
My perception of Toledo is they have some advantage over the rest of the teams in the MAC. Whether that's because the program is so strong that it doesn't really matter who the coach is or they have lower admissions that allow them to qualify more players.

Don't know about their admission standards but I think the fact that Toledo is a fairly large city has to factor in also. An hour from Detroit or Ann Arbor, 2 hours from Columbus, a little over an hour from Cleveland. Maybe it means nothing ,but they've been one of, if not the best team in the MAC for my whole life. Candle has been fine. He took a successful program and kept it going. He and Dino have very similar coaching styles. Just think we need a guy who has proven he can rebuild a floundering program. I don't think that's Candle.
My perception of Toledo is they have some advantage over the rest of the teams in the MAC. Whether that's because the program is so strong that it doesn't really matter who the coach is or they have lower admissions that allow them to qualify more players.

Reactions: FAL
I disagree with that. While Dino's ingame management was awful and frustrating as can be, I don't think it cost us actual Ws. Same with the penalties, which BTW are also on the OC and DC not just Dino. So why would we believe those get fixed?

The problem was recruiting, and inept O, and no shows/unprepared games. Both Beck and White were part of the recruiting and no shows, so why would we believe those to stop? Beck was part of the inept O, so why does that change without Dino?

Both Beck and White contributed to our main issues. The minor issues that were solely on Dino, are secondary issues. If hiring White fixes the secondary issues, it won't make much of a difference unless the primary issues are resolved.
His clock mismanagement alone easily cost us multiple wins in 2021, thus a bowl game as well.

Give me Jason Candle.
MUCH prefer him overt Chesney. His offenses are far more dynamic (we arent talking lights out but at least they are balanced).

Does Jason Candle have a northeast connection? JW just said that was very important so he is out.

Mostly very familiar names, but a couple that I haven't seen mentioned much. Here's the full list:

-Toledo head coach Jason Candle
-James Madison head coach Curt Cignetti
-Notre Dame defensive coordinator Al Golden
-Saints offensive line coach Doug Marrone
-Colorado assistant coach Sean Lewis
-Holy Cross head coach Bob Chesney
-Wisconsin offensive coordinator Phil Longo
-Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien
-Florida State defensive coordinator Adam Fuller
-Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen
-Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White
-Philadelphia Eagles offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland
-Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo
Fantastic list.

Candle's entire life has been spent in Ohio. Born, raised, college, coaching career all in Ohio.

Which game?
I’d have to go back and watch all over again which I’m not going to do but we lost 3-4 games by a FG and I specifically remember at least two of those were because he couldn’t manage the clock properly. It’s all this board could talk about, and even the commentators were baffled.

I’d have to go back and watch all over again which I’m not going to do but we lost 3-4 games by a FG and I specifically remember at least two of those were because he couldn’t manage the clock properly. It’s all this board could talk about, and even the commentators were baffled.
There were only three close games that year. I don’t recall either having clock issues.

He stinks at clock management but it I don’t recall it actually being a reason we lost.

Edut

Looking at the Play by Plays in those games I don’t see potential click issues.

Last edited:
There were only two close games that year. I don’t recall either having clock issues.

He stinks at clock management but it I don’t recall it actually being a reason we lost.

Yeah - this season it was just idiotic 4th down decisions, ridiculous FG attempts, etc.

But he didn't pooch the clock management so badly we actually lost a game because of it!!
progress!! :p

Candle's entire life has been spent in Ohio. Born, raised, college, coaching career all in Ohio.
Rumored to being considered for MSU job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom