Thamel gives some names | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Whoa…I think I just saw Lloyd Carr at a gas station in Solvay pumping gas into a Toyota Camry…..first interviews underway?!?!

Wait -- you just saw Lloyd Carr??? At a car dealership?

The plot thickens.

Bill Snyder had a good second term at Kansas State

Yeah, I missed Bill Snyder and Mack Brown.

I got caught up laughing about Johnny Majors' second stint at Pitt and my mind went blank.

I skip a lot of Syracuse games to see my kids play rinky dink fall ball baseball/softball. Maybe the kid at Colgate means he wouldn't want the job because of the conflict
His son will be a senior next year. Don't know his plans but a lot of coaches sons follow their father into the business. First job in that path would be a GA somewhere...

If that’s the hire I’m out.

I’m surprised you’re not a little more analytical about him. NY guy immediately takes care of offensive line issues and last three jobs have been OL Falcons, OL Alabama (won chip) and now OC/OL of 10-1 Texas. Winning record as a head coach lol and went .500 in the Big. His resume might actually be better than most names being tossed around.

Last edited:
I’m surprised you’re not a little more analytical about him. NY guy immediately takes care of offensive line issues and last three jobs have been OL Falcons, OL Alabama (title) and now OC/OL of 10-1 Texas. Winning record as a head coach lol and actually went .500 in the Big. His resume might actually be better than most names tossed around.

His OL's stunk at Rutgers but he must be decent enough that Saban would hire him and Sark would bring him to Texas. He also was demoted at Rutgers from OC. How involved is he at Texas? His record as HC was not all that good and he got blown out by the decent teams. He also lost a bunch of games to G5s.

His OL's stunk at Rutgers but he must be decent enough that Saban would hire him and Sark would bring him to Texas. He also was demoted at Rutgers from OC. How involved is he at Texas? His record as HC was not all that good and he got blown out by the decent teams. He also lost a bunch of games to G5s.
Also Herb Hand is the co-OC/OL at Texas

re Flood

What he did with Savage is akin to what we did with DeVito. The OL those years were awful. 2009 they were last in conference sacks allowed per game (for a conservative O, mind you). In 2010 they were also last giving up 2.5 sacks more per game then the next worst team! In 2011 they improved to 6th out of 8. Then in 2012 when he became HC and handed the OC and OL to other coaches, they were 1st!

Eh. He took a mediocre team and made them bad. He, on the hottest seat in the ACC, brought them back to maybe mediocre again
Yeah I'm in total agreement with you. He's not an advertisement for rank and file big program coordinator. Just saying he turned around a BC season that was looking like it may win 1 or 2 games. To that he's better than Dino

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Joey's. His hair was prefect.
Yes, I like piña coladas
And gettin' caught in the rain
I'm not much into health food
I am into champagne
I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon
And cut through all this red tape
At a bar called O'Malley's
Where we'll plan our escape

Mostly very familiar names, but a couple that I haven't seen mentioned much. Here's the full list:

-Toledo head coach Jason Candle
-James Madison head coach Curt Cignetti
-Notre Dame defensive coordinator Al Golden
-Saints offensive line coach Doug Marrone
-Colorado assistant coach Sean Lewis
-Holy Cross head coach Bob Chesney
-Wisconsin offensive coordinator Phil Longo
-Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien
-Florida State defensive coordinator Adam Fuller
-Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen
-Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White
-Philadelphia Eagles offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland
-Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo

The fact that he thinks the school can use money for his salary for nil is concerning.

So many think schools can contribute for NIL.
I don’t even care about that, I’m more concerned with his less then stellar behavior at FM as head coach

Wasn't Coach P an LB coach?

I think so, but a couple things

1. P was already at SU for a few years before taking over as HC
2. Although it was a D3 school, he was a HC for a few years at West Conn St.
3. This was 30+ years ago

i said it in another thread but Holy Cross is finished for the season.

Did not get the at large bid. So there's no wait on hiring Bob Chesney.
So you’re saying cuse should target one of the coaches who did get the at large bid?

I’d be happy with someone who understands how to use timeouts properly, doesn’t kick 50 plus yarders while down 14 plus on 4th and 3, and who has a distaste for his finger and shows any semblance of passion for victory.

I thought Dino was all that when he had me close my eyes and imagine. Now I close my eyes during the games. I’m glad it’s over and just hope for the best going forward.

Whether we get the next hire right or not I have no idea but I know we got the firing right.
On this note, I hope the next HC just gets to work and doesn't say much.

Some of these guys are so full of BS.

I know you have to say something so marketing can sell the program, but I don't need a friend, or persuasion, I need competence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom