Thanks Dickie V | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Dickie V

I’m going to guess………………..

Newhouse?
the office GIF

You don't go to another person's house and tell them they're not using enough starch on their linens. Yeah, gramps is old and he mumbles and stares off into space and doesn't tell his old rippers at the table anymore, and he drools on himself and it's awkward and sad. But you don't say that s#!& out loud. You just nod your head and act like everything's fine. Laugh at his jokes. Smile.
You're a guest here, have some respect.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t charge a fee for guests to come to my house and visit. ESPN pays for broadcast rights - with that is going to come some commentary that may be critical.

Thinking that an open and honest assessment in a business relationship is demonstrating a lack of respect is a weird take.

You don't go to another person's house and tell them they're not using enough starch on their linens. Yeah, gramps is old and he mumbles and stares off into space and doesn't tell his old rippers at the table anymore, and he drools on himself and it's awkward and sad. But you don't say that s#!& out loud. You just nod your head and act like everything's fine. Laugh at his jokes. Smile.
You're a guest here, have some respect.
This is a terrible, nonsensical analogy.

what did Dickie V say that was so critical? I don't think he said anything that bad.

Paraphrasing...

Dickie brought up the NIL-Thamel interview and basically said it was a PR debacle and JB was wrong to call out specific teams and it forced him to walk back the comments... But Dickie backed the sentiment of JB's statement that college b'ball is in a terrible state. He heaped a lot of praise on JB and positive comments and that he has earned the right to have a major say on how he goes out.

He also said that the program is in a state where JB has to have a hard look in the mirror... Dickie also stated he thought JB would retire last year when his sons left. Vitale also said that it was time for JB, the athletic department, and BOT to agree on a retirement and transition plan (i.e. I took that to mean to define a set plan and announce it publicly.)

It was Vitale's diplomatic and polite way of saying "it's time".

That is my personal perception and takeaways of what Dickie said. The comments could certainly be interpreted differently.

Last edited:
Paraphrasing...

Dickie brought up the NIL-Thamel interview basically said it was a PR debacle and JB was wrong to call out specific teams and forced him to walk back the comments... But Dickie backed the sentiment of JB's statement that college b'ball is in a terrible state. He heaped a lot of praise on JB and positive comments and that he has earned the right to have a major say on how he goes out.

He also said that the program is in a state where JB has to have a hard look in the mirror... Dickie also stated he thought JB would retire last year when his sons left. Dickie also said that it was time for JB, the athletic department, and BOT to agree on a retirement and transition plan (i.e. I took that to mean to define a set plan and announce it publicly.)

It was Dickie's diplomatic and polite way of saying "it's time".

That is my personal perception and takeaways of what Dickie said. The comments could certainly be interpreted differently.
Good summary. That’s exactly what I took from it

ADJW plant a seed Friday night?

The dinner might be coincidence, but I have a feeling that JW convinced Vitale to make the comments and that they likely agreed on some of the talking points.

That is 100% conjecture, of course, but I really don't think the comments Vitale made are done randomly without some forethought and planning. Whether JW was involved in the stagecraft of this, we'll prolly never know, but I don't think it's stretch to think he was.

The dinner might be coincidence, but I have a feeling that JW convinced Vitale to make the comments and that they likely agreed on some of the talking points.

That is 100% conjecture, of course, but I really don't think the comments Vitale made are done randomly without some forethought and planning. Whether JW was involved in the stagecraft of this, we'll prolly never know, but I don't think it's stretch to think he was.
Wonder if the comments would have still been said if SU was winning the game.

Dickie V certainly addressed the topic of JB's retirement and NIL. However, I'm not remembering anything that was strongly worded or direct. Does anyone have video? We have a lot of paraphrasing and recall. Maybe I'm wrong...

Dickie V certainly addressed the topic of JB's retirement and NIL. However, I'm not remembering anything that was strongly worded or direct. Does anyone have video? We have a lot of paraphrasing and recall. Maybe I'm wrong...
the phrase im 99 percent sure he said that got me is “he needs to look in the mirror”.

that’s pretty strong imo coming from someone like Vitale.

no other way to take it other than he needs to look at himself when it comes to the program’s issues

the phrase im 99 percent sure he said that got me is “he needs to look in the mirror”.

no other way to take it other than he needs to look at himself when it comes to the program’s issues
Yeah, it was said quickly as he rambled, but he unmistakenly said it.

I re-watched the end of the game from about 3 mins left from my DVR this morning before I posted the paraphrased recap above so as not to get anything wrong. I have not seen a public video of the comments anywhere (prolly due ACCN copyright.)

I’d just like to know what he spat out on national TV last night

Attachments

• F2D8E2AC-51AB-46AA-9834-0907B850DEDF.jpeg
    F2D8E2AC-51AB-46AA-9834-0907B850DEDF.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 49
There is likely a reason all of the SU dignitaries were there. Let’s see the guest list for Wake. That will tell us a lot.

That is what I noticed also. I was like why is everyone here for a random game against a down Duke team?

I'll believe that was said. I didn't feel Dickie was calling him out. I got the feeling he was slapping JB on the wrist for his dumb NIL comments and for JB saying he determined when he retired. Dickie also said the admin and JB will get together to figure out when JB retires and that JB should have a say. Maybe I was preoccupied by what Duke was doing to us...

ADJW plant a seed Friday night?
Somebody needs to plant a seed in JB's head that it is time.
Somebody needs to help JB look past his fear of retirement and do the right thing.
For himself, as much as the program.

Should have made my comments differently. Was reacting to the idea that Vitale was told to say that by ths AD the night before. Many people on this site thought SU would win big.

For Vitale to reference the Thamel interview shows what many stated at the time and have feared - this narrative is not "going away" or "waiting out the news cycle". This has become the public's association with the program. Rarely over the past year has the national discussion been about the players performance on the court, it's been about Jim. And it will be until this is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom