The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

I would not hire Scott Frost as HC. The guy has no HC experience and coaching at Oregon is not coaching at Syracuse.

I don't think we should be hiring another coordinator.I get he is an offensive guy but our last 3 hires never had any HC experience. I would be very nervous with Frost.

You don't need HC experience to make correct game management decisions.
I agree. I mean we are all a bunch nimrods here and we'd get the key decisions 90% right. It's more a question of whether a HC fits comfortably in the meat head crowd. Or not.

If a change is, in fact, made...I would be on board with that scenario. I don't think we could afford them both, though.

That said - I was curious as to what Helfrich makes at Oregon since Frost would be looking at that, and I was surprised to learn it's only $3.1. I would have expected more from THE Nike school.
I would not hire Scott Frost as HC. The guy has no HC experience and coaching at Oregon is not coaching at Syracuse.

I don't think we should be hiring another coordinator.I get he is an offensive guy but our last 3 hires never had any HC experience. I would be very nervous with Frost.

They were defensive guys with no HC experience. I think pairing a person like Frost with ED O would be great and the learning curve would be smaller. The thing you get with offensive coaches compared to defensive coaches is that they will always lean towards the side of aggressive offense. I can always live the decision to be aggressive rather than passive.

Alsacs said:
I would not hire Scott Frost as HC. The guy has no HC experience and coaching at Oregon is not coaching at Syracuse. I don't think we should be hiring another coordinator.I get he is an offensive guy but our last 3 hires never had any HC experience. I would be very nervous with Frost.

We could always do better and I get the idea of not hiring a coordinator. But c'mon. He can coach offense.

We could always do better and I get the idea of not hiring a coordinator. But c'mon. He can coach offense.
Chip Kelly's system recruits to Oregon. I don't see Frost as the genius behind Oregon's offense.
I don't trust Frost being given the keys to a P5 job as his first HC job. Herman/Montgomery took American jobs and will prove it.
Frost is not a better prospect than either of those guys. Just say no Frost IMO.

Chip Kelly's system recruits to Oregon. I don't see Frost as the genius behind Oregon's offense.
I don't trust Frost being given the keys to a P5 job as his first HC job. Herman/Montgomery took American jobs and will prove it.
Frost is not a better prospect than either of those guys. Just say no Frost IMO.
i agree, i'd rather have herman or montgomery

but we might not get them

we all have our preferred orders, all i'm saying is that frost would be fine. so would any of the other guys

of all the names bandied about, the only one i'm skeptical of is rhule. pretty much any offensive guy mentioned would be fine with me because most of them are collegey (collegish?)

agree completely. Marrone worked out well, but that guy is a hyper organized freak, his learning curve was not as bad as most first timers

Were Herman or Montgomery the actual genius behind there offenses? Or did they learn it and coach it until it became there own. Now they are able to teach and recruit for it. That is what you are hoping for when you hire Frost. I realize they took a lesser job in the American conference but with the state of our football program can they really be considered that much of a lesser job? I don't get the thought that since we are a P5 school we deserve better than those schools. By all accounts some of those programs are better off than we are as far as football results go. Frost name is only coming up because he was a finalist for the Boise job and thoughts are he would be on Coyles short list.

agree completely. Marrone worked out well, but that guy is a hyper organized freak, his learning curve was not as bad as most first timers

How do we know Frost isnt the same way? Or anyone we hire for that fact.

Alsacs said:
Chip Kelly's system recruits to Oregon. I don't see Frost as the genius behind Oregon's offense. I don't trust Frost being given the keys to a P5 job as his first HC job. Herman/Montgomery took American jobs and will prove it. Frost is not a better prospect than either of those guys. Just say no Frost IMO.

I don't see any of the guys mentioned as the geniuses behind the system.

We're not in the same market for Herman/Montgomery/Fuentes.

Why is it okay for Houston to take a shot at a coordinator but not for Syracuse? They've been pretty good at plucking OCs that make good HC. I'm trusting Coyle has more in common with those AD's than Gross.

How do we know Frost isnt the same way? Or anyone we hire for that fact.

we don't, and he could turn out to be great. I would just prefer someone who has prior HC experience. offensive minded AND HC experience. Everything is risky, but bringing in an established HC is less risky.

djorange1989 said:
we don't, and he could turn out to be great. I would just prefer someone who has prior HC experience. offensive minded AND HC experience. Everything is risky, but bringing in an established HC is less risky.

Can we afford to be less risky?

Obviously we would all prefer to have the sure thing. But that's not likely to happen at Syracuse. SU is the type of school that has to be smarter and more creative with their coaching search than your typical powerhouse or big state school. Unfortunately an element of risk comes with the territory.

Obviously we would all prefer to have the sure thing. But that's not likely to happen at Syracuse. SU is the type of school that has to be smarter and more creative with their coaching search than your typical powerhouse or big state school. Unfortunately an element of risk comes with the territory.
I disagree with this. We don't need to risk this hire. Risk was hiring Greg Robinson, Doug Marrone, Scott Shafer guys with zero HC ability.
We need to spend the money and hire an existing HC. We aren't going to get the hottest name. We just need the guy who fits Syracuse football. No risk on an unproven coordinator. Find a MAC/CUSA/FCS HC coach that fits SU.

Alsacs said:
Good let Maryland hire Frost. I don't want a first time HC this hire. So I hope they snatch him up.

Wonder if they try to pair him up with Bud Foster.

Assuming he doesn't get the VT job, he won't hang around there and be an assistant for the new guy would he?

Of course, he has a million reasons per year to hang around.

Wonder if they try to pair him up with Bud Foster.

Assuming he doesn't get the VT job, he won't hang around there and be an assistant for the new guy would he?

Of course, he has a million reasons per year to hang around.
Interesting idea. I don't see Foster leaving VPI though. I think Rich-Rod goes from Zona to VPI and he keeps Foster.

Alsacs said:
Interesting idea. I don't see Foster leaving VPI though. I think Rich-Rod goes from Zona to VPI and he keeps Foster.

But Rich Rod loves forcing his 3-3-5 defense on whatever DC works for him. Unless he's finally evolved.

If he does take that job, I hope they schedule a couple WVU OOC games in the near future.

But Rich Rod loves forcing his 3-3-5 defense on whatever DC works for him. Unless he's finally evolved.

If he does take that job, I hope they schedule a couple WVU OOC games in the near future.

Worked out well for Gerg.

Foster will stay in rural VA forever. He is a beer guzzling, whitetail slaying redneck.

Worked out well for Gerg.

And Shafer. They both got sucked up in running their D Rich Rod's way.

If we hire an offensive HC, it's fine that he has an idea of how a defense should play (they know what gives them fits). But get a DC that shares that philosophy and let him do his thing.

And Shafer. They both got sucked up in running their D Rich Rod's way.

If we hire an offensive HC, it's fine that he has an idea of how a defense should play (they know what gives them fits). But get a DC that shares that philosophy and let him do his thing.

I would be good with Shaf as our DC; he's not great, but his defense causes turnovers and can really cause opposing offenses fits. Group him with an offensive HC and we could win some games. When Marrone was here, his Shafer's D kept us in many games. He always smoked WFVU.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't stick around.

I would be good with Shaf as our DC; he's not great, but his defense causes turnovers and can really cause opposing offenses fits. Group him with an offensive HC and we could win some games. When Marrone was here, his Shafer's D kept us in many games. He always smoked WFVU.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't stick around.

Shafer was a great DC when he got to run things his way at SU. Trying run Rich Rod's version of 3-3-5 is a career move he'd love to have back.

I just don't think he's cut out for the promotion. There's nothing wrong with your ceiling being a great DC. But maybe he'll stick around and prove me wrong.