The New Guys: Tyler Ennis | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Tyler Ennis

SWC75

Bored Historian
Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Tyler Ennis

This is our next point guard, assuming Michael Carter Williams will be counting his money and Michael Gbinije, who is older, bigger and has been with the program for a year isn’t given the job first. He shows what you’d want to see: he can pass, penetrate, hit a jumper, etc. He is big enough to occasionally score inside, rebound or even block a shot. I wasn’t disappointed by what I saw but I can’t say I was wowed by it. He has kind of a high dribble and could get his pocket picked by college defenders. A couple of his jumpers caught some iron. Others looked smooth. I expect he’ll be more of a distributor than a scoring point guard. Some of his passes had a bit of a loop to them. His build seems solid. I don’t know that he has MCW’s long arms. I’m sure he’ll make a good college guard but his highlight tape just didn’t have that “Wow!” factor for me the way Gbinije’s did. One thing I like about both of them is that the issue with jump shots is not whether they are three or two pointers but whether they are open shots. The two point jump shot is the best weapon in basketball for those that can make it and look for it and I think Ennis and Gbinije understand that. Between the two of them, I am no longer worried about point guard depth. Ennis is the namesake of a hockey player and if you type him his name, you might get some hockey highlights.

He looks like he can play, but from those highlights I am not sure he is quick enough to get by a guy and leave him in the dust. To me that is what MCW and Triche lacked this year that extra gear to get separation after making a good move. Hopefully he has that quickness and it just wasn't displayed in this highlight package.

Ennis looked every bit the part of a potential D1 starter at the NHSI. Smooth jumper, even while injured. Plus, he nailed huge shot in the waning seconds of the game. Looked and acted like a leader on the court, too.

The thing about highlight tapes is they favor the guys who are spectacular physical specimen. A guy like Christmas will periodically make plays where your jaw just drops. Highlight plays show this sort of play exclusively, and so a guy that is a terrific athlete will really look good. Ennis is a good athlete, not superlative. He is deceptively quick, tall, and smooth as an athlete, but he doesn't do anything amazing.

However, as I have watched his tapes, he seems to have amazing court awareness and just seems to always make the right play. Sometimes he makes a pass to a guy who is in the perfect position to score, and the guy doesn't even know it until he has the ball. I think he is going to have MCW type passing numbers (A/TO, not raw assists) and really make a lot of hockey second assist type plays. MCW needs to dominate the ball to a larger extent than Ennis, and always had the ball right up until the last pass. The offense only worked this year when MCW was working. I think Ennis will make sure the offense clicks one way or the other, and we will be more consistent. He won't make those crazy physical plays, he will just make the right one. And that is harder to see on a highlight real... Although it helps to have nice long 16 minute clips to watch! Thanks Steve.

The thing about highlight tapes is they favor the guys who are spectacular physical specimen. A guy like Christmas will periodically make plays where your jaw just drops. Highlight plays show this sort of play exclusively, and so a guy that is a terrific athlete will really look good. Ennis is a good athlete, not superlative. He is deceptively quick, tall, and smooth as an athlete, but he doesn't do anything amazing.

However, as I have watched his tapes, he seems to have amazing court awareness and just seems to always make the right play. Sometimes he makes a pass to a guy who is in the perfect position to score, and the guy doesn't even know it until he has the ball. I think he is going to have MCW type passing numbers (A/TO, not raw assists) and really make a lot of hockey second assist type plays. MCW needs to dominate the ball to a larger extent than Ennis, and always had the ball right up until the last pass. The offense only worked this year when MCW was working. I think Ennis will make sure the offense clicks one way or the other, and we will be more consistent. He won't make those crazy physical plays, he will just make the right one. And that is harder to see on a highlight real... Although it helps to have nice long 16 minute clips to watch! Thanks Steve.

That's all we really need. the other guys can do the highlight reel stuff.

Wondering whether Ennis' shoulder injury will prevent him from playing in the upcoming Jordan game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not religious but I pray that this kid stays all 4 years. He's not a super athlete and he doesn't have crazy measurable's for his position so there is a decent chance we have him for 4 years in which case he will be one of our best ever! He has good measurable's and size but an over all great floor game and pace. I think our offense will flow much better with Tyler moving the ball and initiating offense.

My first impression watching him on tv was that he tends to "coast" a lot... Not really a high energy guy...
But, now I kind of like that he plays "slow" but can burst when necessary...
That's my issue with Trevor, seems to play nervous... Lots of wasted energy and motion...
If any of you play tennis, watching pro tennis players, they just seem to get to balls effortlessly...
That's because that are calm and can anticipate where the ball will go...

After watching the last tournament he seemed to have a nice second gear. Then again it was highschool and not AAU ball but he blew by his man over and over without ever needing to resort to a flashy dribble move to get them offbalence or a physical bumping move, which he has used before.

I think he will come in slightly faster then Mikes freshmen year. And I love his passing.

I like Ennis' handle WAAAAAY more than MCW. Way tighter and quicker. Makes up for his not so "Quick" first step or whatever. Like his stroke as well. Court vision looks to be phenomenal. Wonder how he works out of pick and roll and then I could evaluate in how good he can be next year

I like Ennis' handle WAAAAAY more than MCW. Way tighter and quicker. Makes up for his not so "Quick" first step or whatever. Like his stroke as well. Court vision looks to be phenomenal. Wonder how he works out of pick and roll and then I could evaluate in how good he can be next year

I'm concerned about what seemed to be a relative "straight-up" stance and high dribble. I think he could be vulnerable to some qucik hands. Maybe they should have Patterson guard him in practice. That would cure him of it.

I don't think he "coasts" that much, as a couple people recently have said. I've watched a few of his games and it looks more like he glides a bit, and goes at the speed he needs to, so that it looks like he's not moving as quickly as he really is/can. He certainly seems to have some burst when he needs to.

For SU football fans, I might actually compare the way he moves to a guy like Damien Rhodes.

I'm not remotely worried about Ennis, frankly. I think he will be a pretty solid four year starter (if he doesn't exceed my expectations and go pro early) for us. I'm excited to see him run the show. He seems to be a MUCH more natural floor general than MCW, who is more talented but doesn't always seem to have a "pass first" attitude that you like in a PG.

Ennis has a very good handle and can get into the lane pretty easily. His jumper is good enough and will only improve. I worry about his quickness and ability to beat college defenders. He also plays below the rim (like Scoop did), which could be problematic at times. I think he'll be the PG from Day 1 and is probably a 3 or 4 year player because he isn't going to wow any scouts with size or athleticism or shooting ability.

I hope he's ready to have a major impact defensively. Going from Triche and MCW with their ability to tip numerous passes and more importantly, their ability to help on the glass, to a smaller Ennis could really hurt us. It'll definitely take time for him to get comfortable up top, but I'm hoping he's a better rebounder than we're probably expecting.

I've watched a couple of his games on the internet. That to me is much better than highlight reel stuff. He has a terrific handle with both left and right hands. Has a good first step and can finish at the rim. He is not afraid to take it to the basket but has a very confident stroke from 3. As a PG, he has total command of a hgh school game, we'll see how that translates to the college game. I love the fact that he has played in a very successful and competitive high school program.

He is a winner who has been successful against the best high school competition in the country and is usually the best player on the floor. I love the fact that we are getting two Jersey guys who were voted players of the year in their respective classifications (Roberson being the other).

No offense to guys from upstate NY, but they just don't get the level of competition that prepares them for big time hoops. That is one reason why I am hoping Thomas Bryant heads to New England.

I believe his best attribute is how well he is able to adjust his speed. He seems to have the knack to slow it down at the right time and then quickly blow by his defender to the hole. He almost always seems to be under control. I am really looking forward to seeing him play. Although, it would be nice to see him and MCW play together next year. Yes, I know the chance of that is very remote, but I can dream.

I think one overlooked positive aspect is that Ennis is JBs first choice. Watching the recruiting unfold on the recruiting board, it was common knowledge that Ennis was the top guy that JB wanted. Much like MCW, JB had identified Ennis early and wanted him. Unlike MCW, JB was not able to get an early commit. The question prior to Ennis' commitment was never who was JBs top choice, it was how long could they wait on Tyler before trying to get other options.

JB has the guy he wanted. Ennis may be starting a year earlier than JB would have hoped. But at least we have the guy JB identified as the one he wanted. I consider the situation to be similar to what we would have faced had Scoop left prior to '11-'12 campaign. We may not have been 34-3 but I think we still would have been good even with a frosh MCW at the helm.

JB has shown through the years to be a good talent evaluator. We haven't always gotten his top choice. In this instance we get to see how his top choice pans out. I think that should count as positive news and increases the odds that this guy will be good.

I'm concerned about what seemed to be a relative "straight-up" stance and high dribble. I think he could be vulnerable to some qucik hands. Maybe they should have Patterson guard him in practice. That would cure him of it.

I see a lot of Adrian Autry in his game, or maybe Andre Miller. Thanks for the write up.

I don't understand why people are so worried about him. He doesn't need to be a star next year, just be consistent and take care of the ball. As great as MCW was this year, at times he tried to do too much, sometimes out of necessity. I think we'll have a more consistent offense that consists of a core of Fair (if he stays), Mike G, and Grant. Ennis probably won't have to deal with streaky outside shooting (Southerland) or unpredictable guard play (Cooney/Triche).

Might compare Ennis to BT as a frosh -- taking over the PG slot from the flashy Flynn. BT just needed to be steady. He had Andy and Wes to make plays.

Seems similar now, with Gbinje and CJ in key roles on the perimeter, and Grant ready to emerge as a star.

Maybe he was injured, but Ennis faded in the stretch in the recent game against Findley Prep. Struggled in guarding Williams-Goss (anyone would). Winning guard plays were made by Briscoe, not Ennis, in the 4th quarter.

...Ennis probably won't have to deal with streaky outside shooting (Southerland) or unpredictable guard play (Cooney/Triche).

I agree with most of your post, but not this part. MCW was blessed by starting alongside a veteran 2 guard in Triche who could share some of the ball-handling load and was a threat to drive and score. Southerland was steaky, but when he was white-hot he could score in bunches, so it didn't matter that MCW couldn't hit from the outside.

It should help Ennis that he will have better ball-handling from the SF position, and will have reserves at the guard position who are better than this year's Cooney.

A big problem for Ennis is going to be his on court demeanor. He is cool as a cucumber and does not show emotion at all. In yesterday's High School Nat'l Championship game he looked nonplussed to say the least - mere seconds before draining the go-ahead 3-pointer with 10 seconds left. As we have seen with Brandon Triche, our fan base really does not like players like this. They think they are lazy, not committed to winning, or mentally weak. So Ennis will have to overcome all that and we know he'll have to win a minimum of 122 games to remove this stigma (how many more than 122 is unknown).

I agree with most of your post, but not this part.

I think we can all agree that CJ Fair was our most consistent scorer. Depending on the day, any one of MCW, Southerland or Triche could go off for 25, but never consistently or together. If two had a good game, SU was damn good. If all three could put together a good game, we win the whole thing.

If you calculate the variance for points and field goal % of conference and tournament games, it confirms that Fair was our saving grace. Triche was the most inconsistent scorer out of the four this year - by far. He's awesome and we'll miss him, but he was never going to be "the guy" you could count on each game - just a great sidekick that would surprise you every once in a while.

Variance of points /Variance of FG%
Fair: 22.2 /174
MCW: 28.1 /260
JS: 29.1 /316
Triche: 42.3 /396

...Triche was the most inconsistent scorer out of the four this year - by far. He's awesome and we'll miss him, but he was never going to be "the guy" you could count on each game - just a great sidekick that would surprise you every once in a while.

/quote]

Well, if you are writing only about scoring (and mainly outside shooting), there may be something to this. Triche was consistently good on defense, good at sharing the ball-handling role, very good at finishing inside, and versatile in the ways he could score, even though not a great outside shooter. "Great sidekick" is an understatement.

Ennis had reinjured a very sore shoulder twice in that game. He was definitaly hurting and shying away from rebounds and contact for much of the second half.

I think like Quazzum69 points out consistent shooting will go a long way next year if we can get it. My hope is that Ennis and MikeG join CJ as very consistent shooters. It would also help greatly if Cooney could either shoot consistent mid/high 30's or be a dangerous streaky shooter like James. If we can have 3 guys out there all the time that must be defended and DC2, Grant, Roberson can provide post scoring I could see the team being very good offensively. Lots of if's but thats the same going into every season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom