The New Guys: Tyler Ennis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Tyler Ennis

I agree that his highlights aren't of the 'dynamic' sort. He's not a prime athlete. But, he is deceptively quick and deceptively skilled. His quickness is applied selectively. He's not a burner, like a Ty Lawson. His game appears to be more cerebral, and always under control. I think he's better than Sims or Edelin. Edelin was more of a bull. Sims became something, but not until his senior year.

It will be the task to discover whether he can turn it on when pushed, or when a bucket is needed in crunch time. It will be interesting to see how he holds up versus intense pressure, as applied by a Louisville. But, he probably won't see Louisville until his second year, so...

I agree that his highlights aren't of the 'dynamic' sort. He's not a prime athlete. But, he is deceptively quick and deceptively skilled. His quickness is applied selectively. He's not a burner, like a Ty Lawson. His game appears to be more cerebral, and always under control. I think he's better than Sims or Edelin. Edelin was more of a bull. Sims became something, but not until his senior year.

It will be the task to discover whether he can turn it on when pushed, or when a bucket is needed in crunch time. It will be interesting to see how he holds up versus intense pressure, as applied by a Louisville. But, he probably won't see Louisville until his second year, so...

I'm not sure about your first point. He blew by the guards from Findlay Prep at will and with ease in the semi-final. And those Findlay guys are paid professional basketball players, not high school scrubs.

I'm not religious but I pray that this kid stays all 4 years. He's not a super athlete and he doesn't have crazy measurable's for his position so there is a decent chance we have him for 4 years in which case he will be one of our best ever! He has good measurable's and size but an over all great floor game and pace. I think our offense will flow much better with Tyler moving the ball and initiating offense.
If he does, I think he'll beat Triche's all-time win record.

I'm not sure about your first point. He blew by the guards from Findlay Prep at will and with ease in the semi-final. And those Findlay guys are paid professional basketball players, not high school scrubs.

Maybe i should clarify my use of "dynamic." I was speaking of those Westbrook-ish, freak athlete types of plays. I meant nothing at all about his playmaking ability.

Might compare Ennis to BT as a frosh -- taking over the PG slot from the flashy Flynn. BT just needed to be steady. He had Andy and Wes to make plays.

Seems similar now, with Gbinje and CJ in key roles on the perimeter, and Grant ready to emerge as a star.

Maybe he was injured, but Ennis faded in the stretch in the recent game against Findley Prep. Struggled in guarding Williams-Goss (anyone would). Winning guard plays were made by Briscoe, not Ennis, in the 4th quarter.
Ennis and Williams-Goss had a great back n forth battle in that game. Ennis for basically the first 28 minutes of the game was running a layup drill clinic on whoever from Findlay that was guarding him, whether it was Williams-Goss, Freeman, or Robinson. All three are high-major guards that he battled and did whatever he wanted on offense against them. He was the only player from St. Benedict's who had played the whole game and seemed to get a little fatigued in the last few minutes when he had trouble finishing around the rim and Briscoe made all of the big plays for the win. You must have missed the finals against Montverde, when he gutted it out with a bad shoulder and made a bunch of clutch plays that would've won them the chip if not for a last second three from Montverde.

I think one overlooked positive aspect is that Ennis is JBs first choice. Watching the recruiting unfold on the recruiting board, it was common knowledge that Ennis was the top guy that JB wanted. Much like MCW, JB had identified Ennis early and wanted him. Unlike MCW, JB was not able to get an early commit. The question prior to Ennis' commitment was never who was JBs top choice, it was how long could they wait on Tyler before trying to get other options.

JB has the guy he wanted. Ennis may be starting a year earlier than JB would have hoped. But at least we have the guy JB identified as the one he wanted. I consider the situation to be similar to what we would have faced had Scoop left prior to '11-'12 campaign. We may not have been 34-3 but I think we still would have been good even with a frosh MCW at the helm.

JB has shown through the years to be a good talent evaluator. We haven't always gotten his top choice. In this instance we get to see how his top choice pans out. I think that should count as positive news and increases the odds that this guy will be good.

That's how I follow recruiting: If the coaches get who they want it's a good year. if they have to settle for somebody else, it isn't.

Ennis and Williams-Goss had a great back n forth battle in that game. Ennis for basically the first 28 minutes of the game was running a layup drill clinic on whoever from Findlay that was guarding him, whether it was Williams-Goss, Freeman, or Robinson. All three are high-major guards that he battled and did whatever he wanted on offense against them. He was the only player from St. Benedict's who had played the whole game and seemed to get a little fatigued in the last few minutes when he had trouble finishing around the rim and Briscoe made all of the big plays for the win. You must have missed the finals against Montverde, when he gutted it out with a bad shoulder and made a bunch of clutch plays that would've won them the chip if not for a last second three from Montverde.
Yes -- the only part I watched was the last quarter against Findley Prep, and I didn't see the part earlier when you saw Ennis dominate. I saw Ennis miss-fire on two late drives, one of which resulted in an impressive stuff by a Findley forward. I also saw Williams-Goss blow by Ennis easily on two late possessions. Then, it was Briscoe who saved the game for Ennis's team with two outside shot and a great take-away at mid-court.
I wish I had seen the finals against Montverde -- and happy to have your report.

Might compare Ennis to BT as a frosh -- taking over the PG slot from the flashy Flynn. BT just needed to be steady. He had Andy and Wes to make plays.

Seems similar now, with Gbinje and CJ in key roles on the perimeter, and Grant ready to emerge as a star.

Maybe he was injured, but Ennis faded in the stretch in the recent game against Findley Prep. Struggled in guarding Williams-Goss (anyone would). Winning guard plays were made by Briscoe, not Ennis, in the 4th quarter.

Yes, he had a shoulder injury. But still willed his team to the finals against Finley Prep and hit a few big shots late in the game.

Except that Ennis hit the game what would have been the game winner, and IIRC it was Briscoe that tried to block the game winning 3 pointer.

Except that Ennis hit the game what would have been the game winner, and IIRC it was Briscoe that tried to block the game winning 3 pointer.
You are referring to the final game, not the one against Findley. I didn't watch that final game, but good to know that Ennis came through and almost won it.

You are referring to the final game, not the one against Findley. I didn't watch that final game, but good to know that Ennis came through and almost won it.

My mistake, and yes that should-have-been game winning shot was great. With an injured shooting shoulder no less.

My bad. Just going from write ups and didn't see it either. Got my details mixed up, but I've seen 2 or 3 of his games earlier in the season. Nice player who I think will step in and do a good job (I expect about 8-10 ppg, 4-6 assts). I just hope his shoulder injury isn't serious and doesn't require surgery in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom