The question is going to be asked at some point… | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The question is going to be asked at some point…

I think you’re underestimating how much they bottomed out the last 2 Ollie years. He’s shown steady progress and now is top 20 while having a good recruiting pipeline. We’ll see how March plays out but they sure seem to have the look of a team that can win 2-3 games then.
I'm not, I am aware. I think some are overestimating the other side. Agree to disagree. I think both Hurleys are overrated as coaches. Sure they can win some games this year, but one season doesn't necessarily predict anything.

Last edited:
We’re not ahead of UConn in terms of facilities and resources
Can’t speak to the resources part since SU is private and that info isn’t easily accessible. But in terms of the practice facility, the Werth Champions Center is newer and nearly double the size of the Carmelo Anthony Center. The Dome is unique and quite honestly there really isn’t anything you can compare it to. The XL Center is admittedly a dump. But Gampel is a really fun place to catch a game if you get the chance.

Can’t speak to the resources part since SU is private and that info isn’t easily accessible. But in terms of the practice facility, the Werth Champions Center is newer and nearly double the size of the Carmelo Anthony Center. The Dome is unique and quite honestly there really isn’t anything you can compare it to. The XL Center is admittedly a dump. But Gampel is a really fun place to catch a game if you get the chance.
Seems to me they should play every game in Gampel.

Yup. I live in Connecticut. Been to XL many times as well as Gampel.

With the recent announced changes we will be. Also their financial woes in their AD which are well known...
Sure. But that’s several years away.

When is enough enough?? This Pitt game is insane to watch. Benny can't get on the floor at all???? I know he said he's sticking around and going to figure it out, but my god there is no way JBA should be ahead of him in the rotation.

At this point letting Boeheim stick around gets worse by the game. If Wildhack wants to actually fulfill his job requirements he will do what's right in the offseason and force JB out. This program has been firmly entrenched with the Va Tech's, GA Tech's, Miami's of the ACC for years now.

Its easy to recruit against Cuse as long as JB remains the coach. The talent disparity is clear between the top of the ACC. The longer he stays the worse it gets. Capel is nearly incompetent and they lose to him once a year. Its really very embarrassing.
They’ve lost three out of the last four to Pitt. That’s when Pitts been awful.

Their budget issues are very much a now thing. With an 11 million dollar bill from Kevin Ollie due as well.
True. But they continue to make upgrades and spend money on football.

My comment wasn't to throw dirt, rival or not. Where we are going with facilities and the situation budget wise as explained to me isn't great but if you don't spend you don't have a chance.

As for facilities- even as it stands today I've heard Werth is on par
with Melo quality wise with the fact this is second hand and overall size separate. This coming from a colleague who has two kids looking at schools and having been at both.

With the future improvements SU moves ahead in that arms race for the time being.

As for venue- it's more than the Dome just being unique- it's a spectacle that has now been upgraded a ton. It's a big boy tool and there is no comparison. My point was that budget and facilities plus the unique venue points to a better set of tools for a new coach to transition well with is all.

It doesn't matter that much anyways as you all are on coach 2 after Calhoun and we are discussing coach 1 after JB which we have no clue on with timing.

My comment wasn't to throw dirt, rival or not. Where we are going with facilities and the situation budget wise as explained to me isn't great but if you don't spend you don't have a chance.

with Melo quality wise with the fact this is second hand and overall size separate. This coming from a colleague who has two kids looking at schools and having been at both.

With the future improvements SU moves ahead in that arms race for the time being.

As for venue- it's more than the Dome just being unique- it's a spectacle that has now been upgraded a ton. It's a big boy tool and there is no comparison. My point was that budget and facilities plus the unique venue points to a better set of tools for a new coach to transition well with is all.

It doesn't matter that much anyways as you all are on coach 2 after Calhoun and we are discussing coach 1 after JB which we have no clue on with timing.
Don’t disagree at all. Out of curiosity, do the plans include a luxury basketball only dorm like Kansas has? I think that’s the next facility in the arms race.

He also said he’d quit if he knew he had no chance to reach the top. JB doesn’t see it that way. Frankly next year is going to be much worse. We bring in zero difference making talent. This needs to be the end.
Brady is also still performing at a high level and putting the effort in to stay there. JB, not so much.

A new coach will probably have to gut the roster to get players that will play his brand of ball because they probably won't be a zone D team. So the first couple of seasons could be very bad and that could mean an empty dome for some time.
I mean, at this point, who cares? The Dome is empty now. The on-court play is already very bad and has been for years. Why does it matter if a new coach needs a year or two to instill his philosophy and build it? I welcome that. I WANT that. At least there would be hope again. It doesn't even necessarily mean it'd take a few years, either, if the right coach is hired.

Enough of this junk we're seeing - time to clean house. Nothing will change if an assistant is promoted, either. The program needs a jolt, new blood.

It backfired for us too. Maybe if pitchfork hadn't come out after those 9 games. That weighed heavily into Hops thinking. It made him realize the rope he would have. It really bothered him. He thought it was unfair. It's sad because Hop taking over and landing Stewart and all his connections could have set us up perfectly.
I didn’t read the board then, so I never heard any of that chatter. I thought everyone took it for granted that it wasn’t Hop’s fault at all—and JB said as much. He was put in an impossible situation. I’m also a little shocked that any chatter like that would bother him since it wasn’t his team. He wasn’t the head coach.

Agreed. Hypothetical, if Hop was still head coach here today, would he have recruited Buddy?

Unrelated, I thought I read on here there was a dispute between Hop and JB over whether to recruit Naz Carter from Rochester who went to UW and that also contributed to him leaving because he wasnt getting to recruit his future team and knew Jim wasnt leaving.
If you ask insiders, I think this is one of many situations, rumors and disagreements that made Hop begin to realize JB didn’t want to retire—and wasn’t going to allow Hop to begin the transition to a new era/what direction he wanted to go in.

In JAB's 46 years, he's had five* teams not be ranked at all in a season. Four are in the last five years. The only other one was in 81-82.

But, yeah other teams ...

*As others have noted, in the last seven years, there were three other teams spotted preseason rankings or early season debuts, but they fell out of the rankings quickly.
This is a pretty devastating fact that JB needs to face. He’s not getting the job done anymore.

We’re not ahead of UConn in terms of facilities and resources
They have a nice new practice facility but we have significantly more resources than them, with the Dome revenue potential alone. Their AD is also in a massive financial hole.

This is a pretty devastating fact that JB needs to face. He’s not getting the job done anymore.

It goes so much further than that too. We ended last year and walked into this year with a roster that was going to be ranked pre season. A budding talent at PG, a budding star at PF, Buddy red hot, Jesse coming into his own, Braswell the ideal 3 and D and momentum to only watch us lose player after player that fed that momentum and try and backfill. It went from a turnaround to a freefall in 3 players.

I mean, at this point, who cares? The Dome is empty now. The on-court play is already very bad and has been for years. Why does it matter if a new coach needs a year or two to instill his philosophy and build it? I welcome that. I WANT that. At least there would be hope again. It doesn't even necessarily mean it'd take a few years, either, if the right coach is hired.

Enough of this junk we're seeing - time to clean house. Nothing will change if an assistant is promoted, either. The program needs a jolt, new blood.
One more year of this garbage and the Dome will look like Destiny

One more year of this garbage and the Dome will look like Destiny

what the crowd looks like on Sat is honestly the most interesting thing going for the rest of the season.

A new coach will probably have to gut the roster to get players that will play his brand of ball because they probably won't be a zone D team. So the first couple of seasons could be very bad and that could mean an empty dome for some time.
Newsflash the roster needs to be gutted

It goes so much further than that too. We ended last year and walked into this year with a roster that was going to be ranked pre season. A budding talent at PG, a budding star at PF, Buddy red hot, Jesse coming into his own, Braswell the ideal 3 and D and momentum to only watch us lose player after player that fed that momentum and try and backfill. It went from a turnaround to a freefall in 3 players.
Not sure this is all that accurate. There were people ranking Syracuse after the turnover, but it wasn't all that unanimous.

Good post. And, your diplomacy towards a rival is freshening.

In the regards to the Dome, I couldn't agree more on, except for the upgraded "a ton" remark. To date, I believe, the overwhelming investment upgrade has been for the fixed roof, taking up the bulk of the $118M. The upgraded roof was 100% necessity vs. want, frills, etc. The other considerable improvement was the scoreboard, which I imagine may have been in the 5M range, but that's a guess.

Hopefully, post COVID, moving forward, etc. the university makes some of those other enhancements that were being discussed, rumored, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom