The question is going to be asked at some point… | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

The question is going to be asked at some point…

Gotta let Hop do his own thing to truly know.

I’m shocked that things have gotten so bad after they started so good out there.

But that mid season 2017 run should’ve been meaningless in terms of how it affected him. That was Jimmy’s squad.

Wish we got to clear out all the BS and see if Hop could’ve ran the show here going forward.

I can’t help but think we would at least have a lot more talent than we do now.
The wheels totally fell off when Quade got suspended and then Mcdaniels turned into a joke which killed recruiting in the pnw. Hops had some bad breaks. Should be better than they are, but he needs to right the ship quick.

He’s 63-41. I certainly hope we do better than that.

Calhoun was 47-46 after his first three years.

We’re 65-48 over the same period. Hopefully we won’t be in as a big a hole as he was handed, but I wouldn’t mind being 16-4 right now and playing games that matter.

It backfired for us too. Maybe if pitchfork hadn't come out after those 9 games. That weighed heavily into Hops thinking. It made him realize the rope he would have. It really bothered him. He thought it was unfair. It's sad because Hop taking over and landing Stewart and all his connections could have set us up perfectly.

Or maybe it enabled us to dodge a bullet and avoid making a bad hire.

Calhoun was 47-46 after his first three years.

We’re 65-48 over the same period. Hopefully we won’t be in as a big a hole as he was handed, but I wouldn’t mind being 16-4 right now and playing games that matter.
They are 13-4.

Calhoun was coaching in a different time. It doesn’t take long to turn basketball programs around. Look at what the new Arizona coach did. It’s his first year and they are top 10.

I still have my doubts about Hurley. One 17 game stretch after 3 bad years doesn’t tell me anything. Seems like UConn fans are trying to tell everyone their back, but they’ll want him fired next year or even later this season if they start losing again.

They are 13-4.

Calhoun was coaching in a different time. It doesn’t take long to turn basketball programs around. Look at what the new Arizona coach did. It’s his first year and they are top 10.

I still have my doubts about Hurley. One 17 game stretch after 3 bad years doesn’t tell me anything. Seems like UConn fans are trying to tell everyone their back, but they’ll want him fired next year or even later this season if they start losing again.

I hate UConn as much as everyone here, but they have excitement in their program. My real hope is that it shows the long term doomers crying that we’re in the ACC and that the job is terrible and that no one wants it, that even that program with no money and no tournament wins since 2016 can turn it around.

If we hire the best person who wants the job I think we can easily be where we should be very quickly.

I hate UConn as much as everyone here, but they have excitement in their program. My real hope is that it shows the long term doomers crying that we’re in the ACC and that the job is terrible and that no one wants it, that even that program with no money and no tournament wins since 2016 can turn it around.

If we hire the best person who wants the job I think we can easily be where we should be very quickly.
Excitement fine. But let's not exaggerate what he's done there. He's still accomplished zero. I hope as heck we do better than 13-4 four years in with the next coach.

I think it's admirable that Red, Griff and Gmac have such a strong sense of loyalty to JB (and they rightfully should).

I also can't fathom how I'd reconcile the career risk associated with that loyalty were I in their shoes.

Very few organizations choose a continuity hire when the long time leader overstays his welcome to the point it craters performance. And I imagine most, if not all, of those 3 assistant coaches will be forced to leave CNY if JB's replacement is not an alumnus (and they want to continue coaching high level hoops).

If that continuity hire is given the opportunity, the leash is going to be shorter than people unqualified to question coach at a presser. So maybe they're willing to roll the dice on an extra 2-3 years post JB retirement.
This post is crazy talk those 3 guys can find another job coaching basketball in 5 minutes if they had to but its not going to be as good as one of the 3 assistant spots at a blue blood college basketball superpower. Of course they will ride out the JB era and then move on if they aren't given the head coaching job. I think the new coach would strongly consider retaining 1/3 at least for the first year or two.

Gotta let Hop do his own thing to truly know.

I’m shocked that things have gotten so bad after they started so good out there.

But that mid season 2017 run should’ve been meaningless in terms of how it affected him. That was Jimmy’s squad.

Wish we got to clear out all the BS and see if Hop could’ve ran the show here going forward.

I can’t help but think we would at least have a lot more talent than we do now.
Agreed. Hypothetical, if Hop was still head coach here today, would he have recruited Buddy?

Unrelated, I thought I read on here there was a dispute between Hop and JB over whether to recruit Naz Carter from Rochester who went to UW and that also contributed to him leaving because he wasnt getting to recruit his future team and knew Jim wasnt leaving.

Last edited:
13-4 with a win over Auburn. All 4 losses were very close.

I’d love to be 13-4 with any coach. Give me that all day every day.

I mean we have close losses too. You are what your record says. Hurley still has accomplished nothing. Change the goalposts all you want.

Or maybe it enabled us to dodge a bullet and avoid making a bad hire.
I know we disagree on Hopkins in general. My argument independent of that is we would have already known. If it didn't work we could do a national search after he had 3-4 years. Now we are looking at Boeheim IMO not retiring until next season is over at the earliest. I also think we will end up hiring Red or GMac to have a shot. I don't agree with that but I think it will happen. We will now be staring a decade of double digit loses with bubble or worse teams in the face.

I mean we have close losses too. You are what your record says. Hurley still has accomplished nothing. Change the goalposts all you want.
Your standards are not in reality. You want us to be so much better than 13-4. How much better can you get? Undefeated?

Right now I would take 13-4 with a top 25 spot over what we have. When’s the last time we were ranked?

I’m not saying Dan Hurley is Coach K but he has them looking good so far this season. He also excelled greatly at Rhode Island. I’m not gonna hate on him just because I don’t like UConn.

I know we disagree on Hopkins in general. My argument independent of that is we would have already known. If it didn't work we could do a national search after he had 3-4 years. Now we are looking at Boeheim IMO not retiring until next season is over at the earliest. I also think we will end up hiring Red or GMac to have a shot. I don't agree with that but I think it will happen. We will now be staring a decade of double digit loses with bubble or worse teams in the face.

My opinion back then and criticism of the "coach in waiting" approach has remained consistent. I considered Hopkins a risky hire, and didn't like hiring someone who'd never been a head coach before [let's not count the 9 games as evidence / indicative of his capabilities]. And as it turns out, he's essentially proven out that he probably doesn't have the chops to be a P5 head coach.

And for the record, Hop was exponentially more qualified than either Red or GMac, and had been groomed to take over the role for more than a decade. If he wasn't up to the task, why would anyone legitimately expect that either of them will do better? And I expect that to be glaringly evident when the AD eventually takes action. There is no reason for stability / continuity, change is what is required to right the ship.

If your point is that it would have accelerated the process of moving on, then sure. That would have been a preferential outcome to JB refusing to step away and holding the program hostage, and helped to avoid the inevitable messy ending that is almost certain to occur now.

Last edited:
Agreed. Hypothetical, if Hop was still head coach here today, would he have recruited Buddy?
In a heartbeat. Hop has known Buddy since he was a gleam in the old man's eye.

13-4 with a win over Auburn. All 4 losses were very close.

I’d love to be 13-4 with any coach. Give me that all day every day.
And 3 of those losses were missing one or more starters. The only loss where they were completely healthy was coming off a 2 week COVID pause at Seton Hall in OT where Kadary (thanks for letting him get away) went god mode. Better luck and and we’d have one loss and be in the top 5, but that’s basketball.

Your standards are not in reality. You want us to be so much better than 13-4. How much better can you get? Undefeated?

Right now I would take 13-4 with a top 25 spot over what we have. When’s the last time we were ranked?

I’m not saying Dan Hurley is Coach K but he has them looking good so far this season. He also excelled greatly at Rhode Island. I’m not gonna hate on him just because I don’t like UConn.
This is year 4 for him.

Mike Hopkins was 63-39 his first 3 seasons. Hurley was 50-37.

And for the record he had 2 good seasons at RI and one good season at Wagner. His last name has given him the benefit of doubt along the way. I am not sold at all. He has to continue to win this year and going forward. This can still go south.

This is year 4 for him.

Mike Hopkins was 63-39 his first 3 seasons. Hurley was 50-37.

And for the record he had 2 good seasons at RI and one good season at Wagner. His last name has given him the benefit of doubt along the way. I am not sold at all. He has to continue to win this year and going forward. This can still go south.
Yeah but Hopkins started with a bang and then has regressed every year.
Hurley has slowly started to build something and is now ranked.

By the way Rhode Island has only ever been to the round of 32 six times in its history. Hurley has two of them. It’s called building a program. Something coaches don’t get to do anymore.

And again when’s the last time we were ranked? You wouldn’t be happy with being ranked and 13-4 record. You are hard to please lol.

By the way Rhode Island has only ever been to the round of 32 six times in its history. Hurley has two of them. It’s called building a program. Something coaches don’t get to do anymore.

And again when’s the last time we were ranked? You wouldn’t be happy with being ranked and 13-4 record. You are hard to please lol.
I am saying after 3 years we would not be happy with a coach like Hurley and the jury is still out. Everyone was joking about him until this season. It does and should not take that long to turn around a program of this stature.

UW is way different than Syracuse and UConn.

Hurley subjectively has done a mediocre at best job at UConn.
This year they are decent but it’s year 4 at UConn. Not year 2.
He didn’t inherit that tough a rebuild.
Getting 4 years at URI to cook isn’t what it takes at big boys.

He has 0 NCAAT wins and been mediocre in the regular season.

He needs Atleast a sweet 16 this year.

Hurley subjectively has done a mediocre at best job at UConn.
This year they are decent but it’s year 4 at UConn. Not year 2.
He didn’t inherit that tough a rebuild.
Getting 4 years at URI to cook isn’t what it takes at big boys.

He has 0 NCAAT wins and been mediocre in the regular season.

He needs Atleast a sweet 16 this year.
He is actually 2-3 in the NCAAT. He made it to the round of 32 two years in a row at Rhode Island.

At UConn it’s been a slower rebuild than some other schools but it’s progressing. Not every school gets turned around in 1-2 years. He made the tourney just last season.

Jay Wright didn’t make the tourney until year 4 at Nova.
Took Scott Drew 5 years to make the tourney at Baylor.
Leonard Hamilton didn’t make it until 7 years at Florida State.
Bruce Pearl until his 4th year at Auburn.

You have to give these guys time.

He is actually 2-3 in the NCAAT. He made it to the round of 32 two years in a row at Rhode Island.

At UConn it’s been a slower rebuild than some other schools but it’s progressing. Not every school gets turned around in 1-2 years. He made the tourney just last season.

Jay Wright didn’t make the tourney until year 4 at Nova.
Took Scott Drew 5 years to make the tourney at Baylor.
Leonard Hamilton didn’t make it until 7 years at Florida State.
Bruce Pearl until his 4th year at Auburn.

You have to give these guys time.
So it wouldn't be unrealistic to think it would take a new coach 4 or 5 years to make the tournament. I wouldn't think so either.

In JAB's 46 years, he's had five* teams not be ranked at all in a season. Four are in the last five years. The only other one was in 81-82.

But, yeah other teams ...

*As others have noted, in the last seven years, there were three other teams spotted preseason rankings or early season debuts, but they fell out of the rankings quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom