The Smart Scheduling Bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Smart Scheduling Bowl

I take back what I said about BC being smart in scheduling Purdue, as Purdue just hired Jeff Brohm.

That's a shame.

Good grief. Those "whorish money grabs" were when we were in the BE and needed money to stay afloat. I prefer "shrewd move to keep a proud program alive"...

That said, with ACC $ we don't need to do that anymore and should schedule to get to bowls 1st.

stay afloat???? come on, this type of absurdity has to stop. We never were in danger of being a program that couldn't self fund itself. The issue was the bloated nature of the AD not the football program. Gross whored out a product to support his own bloated infrastructure. It's obvious in hindsight isn't it?

That Meadowlands deal was dumb in hinsight and has hurt us wins/loss in a big way.

Anyone who thinks BC is well behind us at this point is fooling themselves. If anything we're right behind them. If Addazio starts to recruit big BC type players and sprinkles in another Matt Ryan, it's going to be tough again vs them.

We're in good shape, but it's an uphill battle w our scheduling

Just so everyone's clear...

BC won't be able to continue this wonderful tradition. They have to play 1 Power 5 team non conference going forward. They were smart to schedule Purdue as that team in the near future although who knows if the new coach can get them back to Tiller days.

The ND game for us might be a holdover from the Gross Big East era, but we have to play them regardless as part of the ACC arrangement with them. So if we didn't play them this year, we'd be playing them in a future year and people would still be moaning about it. BC will be playing ND 2 of the next 3 years.

Where SU appeared to miscalculate was with USF. Some of it might be bad luck/timing. They had a rough start to 2015, but since they hit their stride (which started with us last year), they are 17-4. I don't think they can sustain that. Lesson is probably that since we're in a league with 2 of Florida's 3 prominent teams, we don't need to play one OOC. There should be enough of a presence to recruit there.

the inverse is we stink no matter what. that's more horrifying if you think about it.

the inverse is we stink no matter what. that's more horrifying if you think about it.

I don't think we stink. I think we've made some hires that didn't work out. I think this one will, but it's going to take some time.

4-8 and beating Virginia Tech in your first year isn't exactly Greg Robinson's debut.

USF in week 8 would have been better than week 3-4 since the D stopped making so many mistakes at least until the Pitt game.

Just so everyone's clear...

BC won't be able to continue this wonderful tradition. They have to play 1 Power 5 team non conference going forward. They were smart to schedule Purdue as that team in the near future although who knows if the new coach can get them back to Tiller days.

They have a MUCH better shot at beating Purdue than we do of beating LSU or Wisconsin, because we have no shot in hell of beating LSU or Wisconsin!

That is where SU fails. We need to schedule 1 P5 school,...get on the horn with Kansas, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa St...etc and make a damn deal with them. Let's give ourselves a punchers chance to win the damn game!!!!

For the life of me I cannot figure out why some people here struggle with this. The casual fans at my work want to see the "big" games in the dome, but are the first to jump off the band wagon when they go winless through September

Fans want to support a winner. Period. End of story. Debate over.

SU Basketball packs them in in Nov and Dec when we play nobody and garbage teams, why...because the team is gonna win and its a party atmosphere where people have fun for 2 hours.

When you take into account for football we have a ceiling of "local/student" fans that go to the game no matter who we play. Any time we get a super big crowd its because the opponent travels well. So if we schedule USF we will have the same amount of "local/SU" fans in the Dome as if we scheduled Ball St or Buffalo! So why not schedule Ball St or Buffalo and give yourself the easiest and best chance of a win. Same for the big 1 P5 school we have to schedule. Whether its LSU or Purdue, or Iowa St or whoever, we will get the same amount of SU fans in the dome for that given day. So, you schedule to win, go to 5 or 6 or 7 bowls in a row. Start to go from 6 wins on a regular basis, to 7 on a regular basis, to 8 wins on a regular basis and so on. Grow it over time...then guess what, the local fans will be happy the football team is always a winner. It becomes fun to go to the game and watch them "WIN"...and that is how you fill the dome and grow the product over time.

What SU football does is "hot shot" scheduling. We will schedule 1 monster home game a year most years (ie vs LSU or whoever)...we have no shot to win, the fans will be upset we didn't win and look 2nd rate vs them, for one day the Dome is rocking for like 15 min before LSU or whoever takes the crowd out of the game...and the fans go home miserable (and at halftime) saying I just wasted a Saturday and didn't have fun. Last time I do that. So for that 1 day SU makes some $$$ but the damage they do to the fan-base and the product isn't worth it.

Schedule to win. Do it for many years and the fans will come back. These games are played on Friday Nights and Saturday's. It's the weekend...people wanna have fun. It's no fun to spend 4 hours and watch the team lose and pay money to do it. That's how the casual fan thinks and until SU starts thinking like that, nothing will change and its an endless cycle.

As a die-hard like me, I would rather watch them play Buffalo and win than watch them play USF and lose. When I leave my house I wanna see them win. I get the "big game" atmosphere every year when FSU or Clemson come to the Dome. We don't need to go through that 2 or 3 times a year and see the mass exodus at halftime.

They have a MUCH better shot at beating Purdue than we do of beating LSU or Wisconsin, because we have no shot in hell of beating LSU or Wisconsin!

That is where SU fails. We need to schedule 1 P5 school,...get on the horn with Kansas, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa St...etc and make a damn deal with them. Let's give ourselves a punchers chance to win the damn game!!!!

What's done is done. Can't fault Wildhack for what happened prior to his arrival.

At this point, we don't have to do anything until 2023. @LSU is next year, @ND in 2018 (ACC arrangement), @Maryland in 2019, Wisconsin in 2020 and 2021, ND in the Dome in 2022.

But we can't wait too long and should be lining up a non powerhouse name like Indiana or Rutgers for 2023 and 2024.

2025 is ND again.

What SU football does is "hot shot" scheduling. We will schedule 1 monster home game a year most years (ie vs LSU or whoever)...we have no shot to win, the fans will be upset we didn't win and look 2nd rate vs them, for one day the Dome is rocking for like 15 min before LSU or whoever takes the crowd out of the game...and the fans go home miserable (and at halftime) saying I just wasted a Saturday and didn't have fun.

We took LSU deep into the 4th quarter with a walk-on QB. With Dungey we very well could have won. Nobody left that game at halftime.

We took LSU deep into the 4th quarter with a walk-on QB. With Dungey we very well could have won. Nobody left that game at halftime.

That was a rope a dope game that the Patriots play weekly. The score was not indicative of how the game felt throughout. We had no shot in that one. It was a moral victory.

Team needs to play its peers OOC. Simple as that. We're in an SEC lite conference now with AAC talent. The road is tough when you have those factors. Don't make the road any harder if the entire goal is for the program to win.

I don't think anyone around the country knows how similar BC is to Syracuse talent wise this year. They do know BC is in a bowl and Syracuse is home again. People don't pay attention to the degree of difficulty.

That was a rope a dope game that the Patriots play weekly. The score was not indicative of how the game felt throughout. We had no shot in that one. It was a moral victory.

Team needs to play its peers OOC. Simple as that. We're in an SEC lite conference now with AAC talent. The road is tough when you have those factors. Don't make the road any harder if the entire goal is for the program to win.

I don't think anyone around the country knows how similar BC is to Syracuse talent wise this year. They do know BC is in a bowl and Syracuse is home again. People don't pay attention to the degree of difficulty.

Two things:
-We absolutely had a shot of beating LSU last year. They had 3rd and long up 7 very late in the 4th quarter, and converted a long pass to put the game out of reach for us.
-Nobody is going to remember that BC played at Ford Field in December in front of 10k fans except Phil Steele and a few people on this board. They'll go 3-9 next year, and this entire theory that patsy scheduling builds programs over the long-term will be proven wrong once again.

USF in week 8 would have been better than week 3-4 since the D stopped making so many mistakes at least until the Pitt game.
But the injuries were beginning to mount.
Fans want to support a winner. Period. End of story. Debate over.

SU Basketball packs them in in Nov and Dec when we play nobody and garbage teams, why...because the team is gonna win and its a party atmosphere where people have fun for 2 hours.

When you take into account for football we have a ceiling of "local/student" fans that go to the game no matter who we play. Any time we get a super big crowd its because the opponent travels well. So if we schedule USF we will have the same amount of "local/SU" fans in the Dome as if we scheduled Ball St or Buffalo! So why not schedule Ball St or Buffalo and give yourself the easiest and best chance of a win. Same for the big 1 P5 school we have to schedule. Whether its LSU or Purdue, or Iowa St or whoever, we will get the same amount of SU fans in the dome for that given day. So, you schedule to win, go to 5 or 6 or 7 bowls in a row. Start to go from 6 wins on a regular basis, to 7 on a regular basis, to 8 wins on a regular basis and so on. Grow it over time...then guess what, the local fans will be happy the football team is always a winner. It becomes fun to go to the game and watch them "WIN"...and that is how you fill the dome and grow the product over time.

What SU football does is "hot shot" scheduling. We will schedule 1 monster home game a year most years (ie vs LSU or whoever)...we have no shot to win, the fans will be upset we didn't win and look 2nd rate vs them, for one day the Dome is rocking for like 15 min before LSU or whoever takes the crowd out of the game...and the fans go home miserable (and at halftime) saying I just wasted a Saturday and didn't have fun. Last time I do that. So for that 1 day SU makes some $$$ but the damage they do to the fan-base and the product isn't worth it.

Schedule to win. Do it for many years and the fans will come back. These games are played on Friday Nights and Saturday's. It's the weekend...people wanna have fun. It's no fun to spend 4 hours and watch the team lose and pay money to do it. That's how the casual fan thinks and until SU starts thinking like that, nothing will change and its an endless cycle.

As a die-hard like me, I would rather watch them play Buffalo and win than watch them play USF and lose. When I leave my house I wanna see them win. I get the "big game" atmosphere every year when FSU or Clemson come to the Dome. We don't need to go through that 2 or 3 times a year and see the mass exodus at halftime.
amen.

STOP. Just STOP! The outcome of that game was never in doubt and LSU was toying with us. They could have turned it on at any time and blew us off the field. They knew we were no threat at any point in that game and they treated it like an NFL team treats a preseason game. Let's be honest with ourselves.

STOP. Just STOP! The outcome of that game was never in doubt and LSU was toying with us. They could have turned it on at any time and blew us off the field. They knew we were no threat at any point in that game and they treated it like an NFL team treats a preseason game. Let's be honest with ourselves.

Youre being silly and trying to rewrite history to prove a point.

Youre being silly and trying to rewrite history to prove a point.

Not at all. The game was never in doubt. LSU was never threatened at all in that game. They never trailed and the last SU TD in garbage time made the score look closer than the game was. SU was never a threat to take over the lead, LSU held us at bay the entire game. Every time SU got somewhat close LSU just punched it in to expand their lead within minutes.

Not at all. The game was never in doubt. LSU was never threatened at all in that game. They never trailed and the last SU TD in garbage time made the score look closer than the game was. SU was never a threat to take over the lead, LSU held us at bay the entire game. Every time SU got somewhat close LSU just punched it in to expand their lead within minutes.
Have to agree. Most peple seem to have watched that game with orange colored sun glasses.
LSU outgained us 425-281 yards and it was obvious to me, that they brought their B- game while we played our A game.

Have to agree. Most peple seem to have watched that game with orange colored sun glasses.
LSU outgained us 425-281 yards and it was obvious to me, that they brought their B- game while we played our A game.

'Close' losses against tough competition... are still losses. Period.

Absolutely NOBODY is going to look at our losing record from last season, and say "yeah, but - they played LSU and Clemson tough".
Losses are losses. There are no moral victories - only real ones.
Or in our case, not.

I like what somebody above posted about "degree of difficulty" - there truly are ZERO benefits from scheduling above our weight class.
Nebraska was over 30 years ago. Coach Mac ain't walking thru that door.

'Close' losses against tough competition... are still losses. Period.

Absolutely NOBODY is going to look at our losing record from last season, and say "yeah, but - they played LSU and Clemson tough".
Losses are losses. There are no moral victories - only real ones.
Or in our case, not.

I like what somebody above posted about "degree of difficulty" - there truly are ZERO benefits from scheduling above our weight class.
Nebraska was over 30 years ago. Coach Mac ain't walking thru that door.
Moral Victories are for Losers...literally.
So stick those participation ribbons up you collective millennial arses...and get off my damn lawn!!!
Too much?

image.jpg

stay afloat???? come on, this type of absurdity has to stop. We never were in danger of being a program that couldn't self fund itself. The issue was the bloated nature of the AD not the football program. Gross whored out a product to support his own bloated infrastructure. It's obvious in hindsight isn't it?

That Meadowlands deal was dumb in hinsight and has hurt us wins/loss in a big way.

Anyone who thinks BC is well behind us at this point is fooling themselves. If anything we're right behind them. If Addazio starts to recruit big BC type players and sprinkles in another Matt Ryan, it's going to be tough again vs them.

We're in good shape, but it's an uphill battle w our scheduling

So you're saying we were ok financially and the product on the field wasn't suffering? C'mon.

There was a lot wrong with the Gross/Cantor tenures, loose purse strings being a big one - but you can not say that everything was hunky dory in football land. No IPF, Marrone complaining about facilities, new done carpet, keeping up with recruiting bells and whistles in the football wing, underpaid assistants, etc.

You can call it whoring if you want, but if the reported sums were correct, you turn down those deals and maybe you get fired.

Competitive product cost money. Or if you prefer "scared money don't make money"...

---

Finally. BC is behind us. We've been waiting for Addazzio to get his giant dudes for years and they still suck. Matt Ryan isn't walking through those doors. That's like saying "as soon as Syracuse gets another McNabb and does better in recruiting, watch out!"

Since we've joined the ACC, Addazzio has how many wins vs Syracuse? 1.

Two things:
-We absolutely had a shot of beating LSU last year. They had 3rd and long up 7 very late in the 4th quarter, and converted a long pass to put the game out of reach for us.
-Nobody is going to remember that BC played at Ford Field in December in front of 10k fans except Phil Steele and a few people on this board. They'll go 3-9 next year, and this entire theory that patsy scheduling builds programs over the long-term will be proven wrong once again.

Ok, let's roll with your "losing seasons with no bowls builds programs counter-theory"... Tell me how the team will get better with less practice? How scheduling games that we have a 10% chance to win due to a talent deficit highlights anything other than our talent deficit? How perennially finishing with losing records and no free vacation is good for morale?

But hey, at least we fans get a free weekend in December to not root for our team. That blank spot will be much more memorable.

So you're saying we were ok financially and the product on the field wasn't suffering? C'mon.

There was a lot wrong with the Gross/Cantor tenures, loose purse strings being a big one - but you can not say that everything was hunky dory in football land. No IPF, Marrone complaining about facilities, new done carpet, keeping up with recruiting bells and whistles in the football wing, underpaid assistants, etc.

You can call it whoring if you want, but if the reported sums were correct, you turn down those deals and maybe you get fired.

Competitive product cost money. Or if you prefer "scared money don't make money"...

---

Finally. BC is behind us. We've been waiting for Addazzio to get his giant dudes for years and they still suck. Matt Ryan isn't walking through those doors. That's like saying "as soon as Syracuse gets another McNabb and does better in recruiting, watch out!"

Since we've joined the ACC, Addazzio has how many wins vs Syracuse? 1.
Anthony Brown redshirted this year at BC . What makes you think he won't be another difficult dual threat QB in the ACC .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom