The view from here | Syracusefan.com

The view from here

SWC75

Bored Historian
First Half: The team appeared to be too dependent on perimeter shooting and lackadaisical on defense and the boards. Coleman seemed lost, especially on defense. Lydon actually looked best in the middle. He's not skinny at all. He must weigh 220 by now. He moved well and seemed to know what was going out there. I didn't really see him do much shooting, (wasn't that supposed to be what he was best at?) he rebounded, blocked some shots, kept the ball moving, looking for the shooters. The offense seemed based on setting jump jump shots. Having other shooters didn't help Cooney at all. He still shot to fast and inaccurately. Gbinije shot well but he's a nominal point guard at best. It appeared we are going to do alot of things by committee. Several guys can handle the ball several guys can shoot it. Several guys can drive to the basket. it don't matter who does it as long as it gets done.

Second Half: We concentrated on going to hoop and were much more successful. Coleman was much more aggressive and made some good inside moves without getting tangled up with the shooters guys, as he always used to. He made some good passes and hit a 12 footer. Cooney started slashing to the basket more as well. Joseph looked better just looking for openings rather than forcing himself to be a conventional point guard. But it was all about the defense. We really amped it up, got turnovers and ran, ran, ran. We started the half on a 21-0 run. Everybody looked good and the game went from a 10 point lead to the 39 point final. We looked like we could be a pretty good, exciting team, a throwback to the 80's when we got out and ran, hit three pointers and scored a lot. Stopping the other guys will depend on being aggressive and scoring must involve more than just setting up outside jumpers. We need to play a 90 foot game.

Last edited:
I didn't see Lydon play the 5 till 2nd half.

Toga said:
He did for a stretch in the first half. He definitely has added some weight.

Mud have missed it. Like I sad in my post he got bounced around n the 2nd half and definitely needs to get stronger.

I think we shot 38% from deep in the first half and continued at that pace for the second half. I don't think the offense was any more efficient in the second half than the first, and it's okay to be reliant on the deep ball when you're hitting 38% of them.

The defense definitely tightened up in the second half when we started extending the zone more.

Cooney struggled with his shot but fortunately didn't have any bad misses, that I saw. It was nice that he recognized he didn't have the touch tonight and decided to do other things on the court, like driving into the lane. The 3's will come. He has to improve that free throw shooting though. Jeez!

Being a jump shot reliant team with so many jump shooters and so few interior weapons is okay with me. An open jumper beats a contested layup in my book and I don't think you need to get to the rim any more than we did in order to run an efficient offense. I loved the ball movement, as it led to a lot of wide open shots. We'll see if that continues against better competition.

I think we shot 38% from deep in the first half and continued at that pace for the second half. I don't think the offense was any more efficient in the second half than the first, and it's okay to be reliant on the deep ball when you're hitting 38% of them.

The defense definitely tightened up in the second half when we started extending the zone more.

Cooney struggled with his shot but fortunately didn't have any bad misses, that I saw. It was nice that he recognized he didn't have the touch tonight and decided to do other things on the court, like driving into the lane. The 3's will come. He has to improve that free throw shooting though. Jeez!

Being a jump shot reliant team with so many jump shooters and so few interior weapons is okay with me. An open jumper beats a contested layup in my book and I don't think you need to get to the rim any more than we did in order to run an efficient offense. I loved the ball movement, as it led to a lot of wide open shots. We'll see if that continues against better competition.

Cooney's foul shooting is a concern. Good three point shooters are deadeye foul shooters.

Taking a lot of threes might be our best option. Teams like Nova have had reasonable but limited success with that strategy. A big disadvantage is that you do not draw fouls as much as you would with an inside game and you do not get the other team into foul trouble. these disadvantages can be overcome. The key to success is being good at what you do. We shall see.

when you don't get bigs into foul trouble their bigs can attack yours more to.
Roberson,Lydon Dajaun more offensive boards and points if we attack the lane.
Dajuan was our attacking the lane the second half though, after JB stressed it at halftime :)

44 boards 22 assists 15 steals and 50% from the field on 70 attempts 37.5% with 12 threes only 9 to's.
opponents shooting 35% and 26% fom 3 22tos not bad.

Last edited:
when you don't get bigs into foul trouble their bigs can attack yours more to.
Roberson,Lydon Dajaun more offensive boards and points if we attack the lane.
Dajuan was our attacking the lane the second half though, after JB stressed it at halftime :)

44 boards 22 assists 15 steals and 50% from the field on 70 attempts 37.5% with 12 threes only 9 to's.
opponents shooting 35% and 26% fom 3 22tos not bad.

Need to out rebound Lemoyne by a lot more in this game though.

Obokoh still looked pretty much useless. Depth at 5 will be a problem this year.

We're not going to be a good rebounding team, but we never are so this year isn't any different.

Gbinije seems poised to have a big year.

Coleman is healthy.

Cooney made a point to be more than a shooter.

Lydon seems to defer offensively at this point in his career, Richardson does not.

I agree with the OP. We need to run and gun and play 90 feet.

Our percentage was good on threes in the first half but we attempted 21 of them. JB said in his press conference he's prefer a dozen or 15 per half. In the second half we attempted 11 thees and scored 53 points after scoring 44 on 21 threes in the first. How often have we seen teams do well against for a while from three and realized that they will cool off after a while while we will keep scoring as we get closer to the basket? I prefer the second half model where threes a re big part of our offense but we are also going to the basket and using defensive pressure and fast breaks. I agree that ball movement- and spacing- are a very good thing.

Last edited:
Mud have missed it. Like I sad in my post he got bounced around n the 2nd half and definitely needs to get stronger.

Given the view from your seat, I'm surprised you missed anything!

OttoMets said:
Given the view from your seat, I'm surprised you missed anything!

Ha

When you shoot that many threes you are going to have a lot of long rebounds. Coleman has never been a great rebounder but with our size at the other positions, there will be a lot to cherry pick. Could be a great opportunity for Malachi to pick up a lot of easy points.

I know its just a pre-season game but: 1) Will Lydon get more time at the 5 than a) Obokoh? b) at the 4? Also, I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me that Howard got in before Joseph. Should anything be read into that?

SBU72 said:
I know its just a pre-season game but: 1) Will Lydon get more time at the 5 than a) Obokoh? b) at the 4? Also, I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me that Howard got in before Joseph. Should anything be read into that?

Joseph came in first. About the 14:30 mark. Howard came in at 12:00.

When you shoot that many threes you are going to have a lot of long rebounds. Coleman has never been a great rebounder but with our size at the other positions, there will be a lot to cherry pick. Could be a great opportunity for Malachi to pick up a lot of easy points.

For his career he is .31 per minute of play.

Rakeem Christmas: .23
Rick Jackson: .26
Derrick Coleman: .32

The one thing that DC2 has always done is rebound at a high rate.

Obokoh still looked pretty much useless. Depth at 5 will be a problem this year.

Obokoh is what he is, it was simple to see before he ever got here, still not sure why we even went after him.

Obokoh is what he is, it was simple to see before he ever got here, still not sure why we even went after him.

His problem is that he'd played very little basketball before he ever got here.

With 4 other front line players, aren't you glad we have him. He can give 5 fouls, pull down a couple of rebounds, score two points on a putback and keep other players in position (or in Dajuan's case, in the game). and regardless of what this board says, he can still do well enough to contribute. In any event, I read his story, he's a great kid who deserves to be recognized for having made it this far. He will graduate and he will represent our university well.

With 4 other front line players, aren't you glad we have him. He can give 5 fouls, pull down a couple of rebounds, score two points on a putback and keep other players in position (or in Dajuan's case, in the game). and regardless of what this board says, he can still do well enough to contribute. In any event, I read his story, he's a great kid who deserves to be recognized for having made it this far. He will graduate and he will represent our university well.
Were you at the game last night? He could barely grab the ball. Looks like an athlete, but the coordination is not there. I thought he might improve given time, but am not seeing it. I will be glad to be proved wrong.

We looked like we could be a pretty good, exciting team, a throwback to the 80's when we got out and ran, hit three pointers and scored a lot.

What are you talking about? We went through the first seven years of the 1980's without shooting one 3 pointer. Not one.

His problem is that he'd played very little basketball before he ever got here.
It's very interesting because he played on a NYS championship team with Thomas Bryant. Here is an article from the championship game in 2013. He definitely showed some promise.
http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchester/live-updates-nys-basketball-final-four-1.1415366

New Rochelle's incredible run through the section and state tournament came to an end in the state championship game. As usual, Joe Clarke put the Huguenots on his back scoring 26 points and grabbing 10 rebounds, but it wasn't enough against the uber-tall and ultra-talented Kings.

6-foot-9 sophomore Thomas Bryant won the MVP with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and four blocks. 6-foot-10 Syracuse-bound center Chinoso Obokoh added 13 rebounds and eight blocks.

- See more at: http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchest...all-final-four-1.1415366#sthash.Fzn1vY38.dpuf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom