The view from here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The view from here

With 4 other front line players, aren't you glad we have him. He can give 5 fouls, pull down a couple of rebounds, score two points on a putback and keep other players in position (or in Dajuan's case, in the game). and regardless of what this board says, he can still do well enough to contribute. In any event, I read his story, he's a great kid who deserves to be recognized for having made it this far. He will graduate and he will represent our university well.

Honestly, no. I said it when we recruited him when he was averaging awful numbers as a Jr. in HS and followed it up with horrible numbers as a Sr. that there has to be at least ONE guy who could be better that would have come to Syracuse to play backup center. A 6'6" LeMoyne center could come in for us and have 5 fouls and pull down a couple of boards, so what does Chinoso really bring that any warm body couldn't?

It's very interesting because he played on a NYS championship team with Thomas Bryant. Here is an article from the championship game in 2013. He definitely showed some promise.
http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchester/live-updates-nys-basketball-final-four-1.1415366

New Rochelle's incredible run through the section and state tournament came to an end in the state championship game. As usual, Joe Clarke put the Huguenots on his back scoring 26 points and grabbing 10 rebounds, but it wasn't enough against the uber-tall and ultra-talented Kings.

6-foot-9 sophomore Thomas Bryant won the MVP with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and four blocks. 6-foot-10 Syracuse-bound center Chinoso Obokoh added 13 rebounds and eight blocks.

- See more at: http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchest...all-final-four-1.1415366#sthash.Fzn1vY38.dpuf

He averaged 9 pts, 6 reb and 2 blks a game in his senior year.

It's very interesting because he played on a NYS championship team with Thomas Bryant. Here is an article from the championship game in 2013. He definitely showed some promise.
http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchester/live-updates-nys-basketball-final-four-1.1415366

6-foot-10 Syracuse-bound center Chinoso Obokoh added 13 rebounds and eight blocks.

- See more at: http://www.msgvarsity.com/westchest...all-final-four-1.1415366#sthash.Fzn1vY38.dpuf

Just wanted to bump that to the second page to put in our long term memoies hate when good posts get lost at the bottom of the previous page.

Just wanted to bump that to the second page to put in our long term memoies hate when good posts get lost at the bottom of the previous page.

So he had a solid GAME in high school and that makes him high D1 material? He's not even a capable back up.

Give him some time though.

In fairness he did not play with the fist team any, the second half got in with kaleb, howard, lydon, and roberson. He lost a tipped rebound he should have had and drew a foul in the second because he gave his man to much space and he got a leaning layup on him.
On a plus side neither him or dajuan got beat baseline, but lemoyne wasn't going to do that anyway.

I would be happy with 1.5 points per game 2.5 rebounds and just a solid fill in defensive role for 10mpg, because thats what the team needs. We don't know if he will be able to yet.

He has almost 0 in game experience, its like a first game freshmen.

Last edited:
So he had a solid GAME in high school and that makes him high D1 material? He's not even a capable back up.
JAB has taken on projects before. Some have worked out and some haven't. When you have a 13 man roster it's common to take a flyer on someone and hope they develop. When the NCAA takes away three schollies it hurts if the player doesn't develop. Plus they double boned us with Diagne. If we had Diagne and three more schollies this thread wouldn't even exist.

JAB has taken on projects before. Some have worked out and some haven't. When you have a 13 man roster it's common to take a flyer on someone and hope they develop. When the NCAA takes away three schollies it hurts if the player doesn't develop. Plus they double boned us with Diagne. If we had Diagne and three more schollies this thread wouldn't even exist.

I get it, but if he couldn't do it in high school how would he contribute anything at the college level. He was recruited long before Dainge was a target. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't get somebody somewhat capable over somebody who can't even dominate high school. Rochester isn't exactly a powerhouse basketball area.

In fairness he did not play with the fist team any, the second half got in with kaleb, howard, lydon, and roberson. He lost a tipped rebound he should have had and drew a foul in the second because he gave his man to much space and he got a leaning layup on him.
On a plus side neither him or dajuan got beat baseline, but lemoyne wasn't going to do that anyway.

I would be happy with 1.5 points per game 2.5 rebounds and just a solid fill in defensive role for 10mpg, because thats what the team needs. We don't know if he will be able to yet.

Doesn't matter what team you play with on defense. He looks lost.

in his case lost doesnt bother me as that can be corrected, not ready does.
centers got 3 jobs this year
1. be able to stop the baseline low post layups
2.don't let opponnets catch and shoot before lydon/Roberson can help out
3. use their weight to grab a few boards.

Looks like Dajuans offense could be a pleasant suprise on top of that but he has to prove he can do that against taller bigs.

What are you talking about? We went through the first seven years of the 1980's without shooting one 3 pointer. Not one.

I should have said "shots that would now be three pointers". The game didn't begin until Rautins and later Addison hit one from the corner.

He has almost 0 in game experience, its like a first game freshmen.

If I only watched the last 5 minutes and knew nothing about the roster, I'd think "wow, #35 is a tall walk-on."

If I only watched the last 5 minutes and knew nothing about the roster, I'd think "wow, #35 is a tall walk-on."

Unfortunately that's what he is and hasn't been anything different. He's literally shown nothing at all. If he could move down the floor like a BMK or had impressive size to clog space and deter shots he'd be more valuable. He has this year and next, even if he improves he has a LONG LONG way to go to even be somewhat an asset.

With 4 other front line players, aren't you glad we have him. He can give 5 fouls, pull down a couple of rebounds, score two points on a putback and keep other players in position (or in Dajuan's case, in the game). and regardless of what this board says, he can still do well enough to contribute. In any event, I read his story, he's a great kid who deserves to be recognized for having made it this far. He will graduate and he will represent our university well.
I thought he did fairly well getting rebounds in his limited court time last year. Hoping for at least that from him this year.

I thought he did fairly well getting rebounds in his limited court time last year. Hoping for at least that from him this year.
Granted most of his minutes didn't come in crunch time against the best opponents, he did grab a respectable 9.4 rebounds per 40 minutes. While he still has a ways to go defensively, I have hope that he can contribute upwards of 10 solid minutes a game this season and am not ready to write him off just yet.

I should have said "shots that would now be three pointers". The game didn't begin until Rautins and later Addison hit one from the corner.

Raf had such a sweet shot. Too bad he played without the 3.

I really do wish the kid well but there is something lacking. Maybe it is experience. He seems to have to think about reaching out and grabbing the ball, even think about HOW to grab the ball. Most kids looking as athletic as he, would do it on instinct. Speaking of which, Coleman still has time when he does the same thing. He at times seem to have to look at the ball to think about what he is doing. One time he (Coleman) got the ball, bent at the waist and looked down as he took 2 dribbles. Like some 5 year old kid. How many other guys would be looking up towards the rim as he began that sequence?

not saying he's looked very promising thus far, but... he did have several high-major offers - it's not like he was some unknown reach by the staff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom