This is why 99% of kids | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

while what he says is generally true, there are some exceptions and other ways to get in the league. There was a kid in CNY who never went to college and played semi pro in town and was discovered. If you have the talent they'll find you, especially in this social media connected world. Add in a little self promotion and you can avoid the traditional college route.
The only guys who are getting chances like this now are non-American rugby players (Edit: Or former college soccer players, like that guy for the Cowboys. But we can agree kickers and punters are their own animal.) The training needed to latch on is so much higher now than it was in 1988.

Most grown adults have little financial literacy, that's why they're financing cars with $1k+ down payments.

Some of these kids are taking the money they make and sending it home to their families. Some of them are saving it so they can start in a financially great place after college. Some are using it for a luxury purchase.

With all due respect, Mark, it's money they deserve and earn, so what do you care how they use it?
Agreed on adults...however financing a car can be smart despite being a depreciating asset. Devil is in the details.

I have no issue with kids making money. I want them to have good mentors looking out for their interests. As people we all have made wasteful, impulsive purchases (hello $800 dorm stereo system that shook walls and $200 car stereo system for a $325 car)

I take issue with the unlimited free agency and the issues I see coming.

Agreed on adults...however financing a car can be smart despite being a depreciating asset. Devil is in the details.

I have no issue with kids making money. I want them to have good mentors looking out for their interests. As people we all have made wasteful, impulsive purchases (hello $800 dorm stereo and $200 car stereo system for a $325 car)

None of that is the kids fault though, is it? It's the result of a crumbling system that was built on the backs of free labor under the guise of a degree.

I have no issue with kids making money. I want them to have good mentors looking out for their interests. As people we all have made wasteful, impulsive purchases (hello $800 dorm stereo system that shook walls and $200 car stereo system for a $325 car)

Do you watch a movie with some 18 year old and think the same way or a Triple A baseball game or, hell,
do you watch a kid bagging your groceries and think "boy, I hope he's not spending his minimum wage on weed and has a good mentor to help him move forward in life"?

Or is it just that these guys provide entertainment for us on Saturdays in the fall and ultimately we don't want that to change?

I think what you and others are saying is noble, so I'm not trying to downplay the thoughts (though I hope those thoughts would be for all kids in general), I just don't see why we should care about what a football player does with the money he's earned playing a game any more than anyone else. The comments about their financial literacy and whatnot...who cares? It's not our money.

The free agency aspect and the negatives of NIL are a different discussion, imo. That's on the NCAA.

First of all, instant gratification? These guys work extremely hard to be where they are.

Second, where did this $2.2 million number come from?

Working extremely hard is fine. Being ready on all fronts to play professionally is quite a different story.

The unintended consequences, as TexanMark describes, will come to bear fruit at some point down the line.

Working extremely hard is fine. Being ready on all fronts to play professionally is quite a different story.

The unintended consequences, as TexanMark describes, will come to bear fruit at some point down the line.
I agree this doesn't feel sustainable, but I have no problem with this guy making life-changing money. It's what the market values him at.

Edit: I view NIL valuations the same way I view attendance and Syracuse Athletics marketing. Me caring one way or the other isn't going to change anything.

Last edited:

Still waiting for someone to say what these 'unintended consequences' are. Feel free to write those out.

Still waiting for someone to say what these 'unintended consequences' are. Feel free to write those out.
Personally I don’t bother worrying about any of that. It’s really a side issue imo. To me the issue is boosters under the guise of NIL are buying up players to come play for “their” team even going as far as working with agents behind the scenes to poach the best players from other teams.

Still waiting to hear how professional teams are housing their players for 11 months out of the year, and feeding them for all 3 meals per day. Feel free to give specific examples.
I don't think you realize how many things that are going on here are key elements of labor organization in the late 19th century.

"Paying in services that are only redeemable at the host institution" is akin to company scrip, which boils down to a philosophical question - does it maximize what workers are getting out of their situation, given what they are contributing?

Still waiting to hear how professional teams are housing their players for 11 months out of the year, and feeding them for all 3 meals per day. Feel free to give specific examples.
They provide more than enough money for those players to house themselves (and usually coordinate some sort of deal), and they do provide meals.

Focusing on those two small points is really missing the overarching issue.

They provide more than enough money for those players to house themselves (and usually coordinate some sort of deal), and they do provide meals.

Focusing on those two small points is really missing the overarching issue.
I’m not sure what the overarching issue is anymore. Is it players being compensated fairly for what they contribute to the overall profits generated by the program? Are all the players being compensated or just the stars? Who’s doing the compensating? How much compensation is enough or is it everybody’s in it for themselves and skip off to the next highest bidder if the opportunity presents itself. Great for the athletes but potentially less enjoyable for fans.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the overarching issue is anymore. Is it players being compensated fairly for what they contribute to the overall profits generated by the program? Are all the players being compensated or just the stars? Who’s doing the compensating? How much compensation is enough?
1. Yes
2. The free market will determine that. It's the players whose name, image and likeness have value.
3. Boosters/collectives
4. The free market will determine that in the same way it determines how much compensation for coaches is "enough." If Georgia's NIL infrastructure wants to give Carson Beck enough money to afford a Lambo, then so be it. If another play gets $1000, so be it.

1. Yes
2. The free market will determine that. It's the players whose name, image and likeness have value.
3. Boosters/collectives
4. The free market will determine that in the same way it determines how much compensation for coaches is "enough." If Georgia's NIL infrastructure wants to give Carson Beck enough money to afford a Lambo, then so be it. If another play gets $1000, so be it.
So not sure where the colleges fit in then other than providing the facilities and “education” for the boosters and free agents to field their teams and play their games. Big time college sports will whittle down to 30 or 40 schools. It’s almost there already. Not a bad thing necessarily. Pretty much as enjoyable as most professional sports.

So not sure where the colleges fit in then other than providing the facilities and “education” for the boosters and free agents to field their teams and play their games. Big time college sports will whittle down to 30 or 40 schools. It’s almost there already. Not a bad thing necessarily. Pretty much as enjoyable as most professional sports.
Long term, colleges will be forced to make decisions whether they can afford the continuing facility race, the coaching salaries and the cost of getting players and either close or drop the sport, others might decide to drop down to club status. This will result in less opportunities for scholarships for thousands of football players. Some may just decide to shut down their non revenue sports to continue to try to stay relevant hurting other sport’s athletes.

Long term, colleges will be forced to make decisions whether they can afford the continuing facility race, the coaching salaries and the cost of getting players and either close or drop the sport, others might decide to drop down to club status. This will result in less opportunities for scholarships for thousands of football players. Some may just decide to shut down their non revenue sports to continue to try to stay relevant hurting other sport’s athletes.
The whole thing is going to collapse. It's a matter of when, not if. And there will be plenty of kids who lose opportunities because of it (unintended consequences).

I’m not sure what the overarching issue is anymore. Is it players being compensated fairly for what they contribute to the overall profits generated by the program? Are all the players being compensated or just the stars? Who’s doing the compensating? How much compensation is enough or is it everybody’s in it for themselves and skip off to the next highest bidder if the opportunity presents itself. Great for the athletes but potentially less enjoyable for fans.
The overarching issue is that degree is not compensation, and should not be treated as such.

None of that is the kids fault though, is it? It's the result of a crumbling system that was built on the backs of free labor under the guise of a degree.

Are these "backs" being forced in anyway, shape or form to attend any of these schools? Could actually full stop right there.

Are these "backs" being afforded an opportunity to showcase/develop their skill(s) given on a platform, infrastructure, exposure level, et al, that they otherwise wouldn't have?

Having access to such infrastructure, et al, do any of them need to be concerned of the financial risks, legal responsibilities, etc. relative to costs, maintenance, etc. of same?

Etc, etc., etc..

It appears that if these "backs" of such (unforced) free labor wasn't their best chance (and by a long shot) in getting such a golden opportunity and head start in attaining their ultimate goal, dreams, etc., they would clearly choose a different route, which, of course, they 100% voluntarily possess within their full power to do.

The overarching issue is that degree is not compensation, and should not be treated as such.
Best thing then is that now the degree will become secondary as athletes jump from school to school. The old system forced them to make some progress towards a degree to stay eligible. Now If they want a degree they will need to work for it.

Are these "backs" being afforded an opportunity to showcase/develop their skill(s) given on a platform, infrastructure, exposure level, et al, that they otherwise wouldn't have?

Having access to such infrastructure, et al, do any of them need to be concerned of the financial risks, legal responsibilities, etc. relative to costs, maintenance, etc. of same?

Etc, etc., etc..

It appears that if these "backs" of such (unforced) free labor wasn't their best chance (and by a long shot) in getting such a golden opportunity and head start in attaining their ultimate goal, dreams, etc., they would clearly choose a different route, which, of course, they 100% voluntarily possess within their full power to do.
Why did The Supreme Court disagree with your points?
If what you say if true, why did the NCAA lose their case?

Are these "backs" being forced in anyway, shape or form to attend any of these schools? Could actually full stop right there.

Etc, etc., etc..

Name the "different route", specifically for football.

Also, take out the college football element out of it for a second. Would you, in any other circumstance, argue that an employer shouldn't have to pay their employees because the employer assumes financial risk, provides training, maintains facilities, etc.?

Overreach there...

NIL is fine
Unrestricted free agency isn't
Some parallel non-college track for Football Players doesn't seem economically viable to me.
I guess we just see it differently. I think we’ve just had our best off-season in over 20 years BECAUSE of unrestricted free agency. And Fran only had a couple of months.

If Fran can coach as good as he can recruit this is only the beginning

In the end, the biggest crime here is that kids weren’t able to get paid to ref games at the Y or do a commercial for a car dealer and get paid for it. Never made any sense. Now it can happen and if a select few make some serious cash here or there so be it. Most college athletes will not be making anything significant while in school but I’m all for getting paid while you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom