This is why 99% of kids | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

Thank you. I’ll take that as a compliment.
No one was twisting Kids’ arms to play a sport and take a scholarship.

There is WAY more money in sports now. And a college scholarship isn’t worth what it used to be.
No one is twisting your arm and telling you to get a job. You’re free to become destitute, no one will stop you.

But What’s that? You want to earn a living? You mean you actually want to be paid for your craft? You want to be paid to do something that generates value for others? But what about all that great knowledge and opportunity you’re gaining by being lucky enough to work for someone who doesn’t pay you what you’re worth!

It’s amazing how quickly adults forget that it takes money to survive whenever college sports is brought into the discussion.

Capitalism - a willing exchange of goods and services. Those “student athletes” in the 60s, 70s and 80s knew exactly what they were exchanging. And for every kid who didn’t get a chance to make $100 for his autograph, there were 1,000 kids who would have given their left nut just to have the CHANCE that those kids got.

I know “Boomers” who played sports at lower levels. They would have killed to play at an SU or a major college program.
“Those kids knew exactly what they were doing when they went into those mines!”

“Why did they want to get paid when they had the chance to earn experiences that their peers would never experience!”

The title and very first post had a personal hot take. Pure gaslighting to say otherwise
Can I ask why you feel this way?

What makes it hot?

The 99.9% part? Do you think significantly more than 0.1% of Syracuse football players make the NFL?

Are you offended that by the implication that a degree for a football player should be their primary objective?

Or is it something else I am missing?

What makes it hot?

The 99.9% part? Do you think significantly more than 0.1% of Syracuse football players make the NFL?

Are you offended that by the implication that a degree for a football player should be their primary objective?

Sure. I know style of the poster and the purpose of his posts. It was posted in that fashion to get that response from OIG. It was to start a debate about paying players and that the REAL reason to play college football is to get a degree. You can think otherwise and that’s your right.

Capitalism - a willing exchange of goods and services. Those “student athletes” in the 60s, 70s and 80s knew exactly what they were exchanging. And for every kid who didn’t get a chance to make $100 for his autograph, there were 1,000 kids who would have given their left nut just to have the CHANCE that those kids got.

I know “Boomers” who played sports at lower levels. They would have killed to play at an SU or a major college program.
How many kids that didn't go to college went to the NFL?

College football is a monopoly. There is no other option for any of these guys, they are FORCED to play college football.

How many kids couldn't get into college that could have played in the NFL? These kids were forced into the system under the guise of a college education.

A "quality education and lifelong friends" while schools made millions and millions of dollars off of their name, image, and likeness. Fair trade-off :rolleyes:

They WEREN'T ALLOWED to maximize their opportunities. Couldn't even sign autographs for $100. If a kid didn't have the talent to go pro, they couldn't make any money to set themselves up for the future.

It's crazy, for all the people that scream capitalism is good, they sure don't like it when the workers want to be paid for their sacrifices.
As per usual now the pendulum has swung to far the other way. Somewhere in the middle would be nice but who know how long it will take to get there.

They should be allowed to make money from their Name, Image & Likeness.

The collective stuff is not what was intended and is a sham. Devalues education and all of the other amenities they receive as student-athletes.

If I am a school and these kids are getting paid for playing, and want to be treated as pros, then they’d be on the hook for their own publicist, nutritionist, personal trainer, housing, and majority of their meals. Those haven’t come free, and are part of the package.

Welcome to the real world.
How do collectives devalue education and other amenities they recieve? If anything it enhances their college experience.

Also which pro teams don't have all of the things you're saying don't come free?

A "quality education and lifelong friends" while schools made millions and millions of dollars off of their name, image, and likeness. Fair trade-off :rolleyes:

They WEREN'T ALLOWED to maximize their opportunities. Couldn't even sign autographs for $100. If a kid didn't have the talent to go pro, they couldn't make any money to set themselves up for the future.

It's crazy, for all the people that scream capitalism is good, they sure don't like it when the workers want to be paid for their sacrifices.
Not sure I’d use the greed of our college system and failure of the NCAA as a true indication of the “failure” of capitalism. Plenty of ordinary people from similar or lesser backgrounds work as hard or harder to achieve success despite barriers as well.

College football is a monopoly. There is no other option for any of these guys, they are FORCED to play college football.

How many kids couldn't get into college that could have played in the NFL? These kids were forced into the system under the guise of a college education.
A monopoly in collusion with the NFL. The very organization that would never draft 99.9 percent of these kids at 18 years old.

You liked AllSU’s post. You joined in on the pissing contest now acting like you are above it. Why not respond to his post with the pissing contest comment instead of liking it?
Don’t hate on a person because they liked my post. I click “Like” on lots of posts I disagree with, if I feel it has been posted with sincerity and respect.

What makes it hot?

You have to be a real moron to think the post was anything more than a comment that for all but a few their last snap in college is their last snap of ball and to use the game to improve your prospects, not let the game use you.

It has nothing to do with paying kids in school

Congrats to Trebor and Josh and all the other grads. There's still a lot of good stories in college athletics. I'm glad that Coach Fran has emphasized that academics is an important part of his DART philosophy.

How do collectives devalue education and other amenities they recieve? If anything it enhances their college experience.

Also which pro teams don't have all of the things you're saying don't come free?
Pro teams pay for housing for players? That’s new. Every single meal over 11 months? How about fully paying for an education that is valued at over $200K? Without a loan to your name after?

Forced? Wow. They can do anything they want. They are not forced to attend college or to play football.

Pro teams pay for housing for players? That’s new. Every single meal over 11 months? How about fully paying for an education that is valued at over $200K? Without a loan to your name after?
Pro teams are giving players a salary which they can use to pay for housing. Most pro teams have meals in facility during the season. Would players need that education if they could play professional football without going to college?

Why are you so against people getting paid appropriately for their roles?

Can you answer the question? How many NFL players didn't play college football?

They are effectively forced to play college football to play professionally.
How many Doctors didn't go to Medical School? I can't believe Medical Schools have a monopoly on producing Doctors. Huh? They were blessed with the opportunity to play for an organization that prepared them for the highest level of their sport/chosen career. That's not a negative that is an extreme positive. Ask every one of them if they think of it as a negative experience being 'forced' to play college football which led to their terrible experience of playing NFL Football. They will look at you like you have 2 heads and just walk away.

Last edited:
Can you answer the question? How many NFL players didn't play college football?

They are effectively forced to play college football to play professionally.
Is that college’s fault? They get free training, free coaching, trainers, use of facilities just for them, uniforms, gear, besides free room and board, free food just for them, free tutoring, free tuition, free transportation to and from games. Isn’t it the NFL’s fault for using colleges to do their work for them? If they could make money off developing them, they would do it. It’s a losing proposition for them. Why shouldn’t the NBA, NFL who use colleges to develop their teams, subsidize them? Colleges save the NFL (and NBA) millions if not billions of $ developing their players. College play is how the NFL skim the top players for their rosters. There’s a reason that they don’t have developmental leagues to fill their rosters, the cost to them, because that is done for them by colleges and their fans.

“Those kids knew exactly what they were doing when they went into those mines!”

“Why did they want to get paid when they had the chance to earn experiences that their peers would never experience!”
I apologize, but I don’t understand your question.

Sure. I know style of the poster and the purpose of his posts. It was posted in that fashion to get that response from OIG. It was to start a debate about paying players and that the REAL reason to play college football is to get a degree. You can think otherwise and that’s your right.
My comment legitimately was a recognition that this is a better era for student-athletes. It's great seeing guys get degrees, and get some financial compensation along the way. They couldn't do that before.

I know fans think this NIL era is nuts, and they're not wrong (especially if they've been paying attention to the hoops side this weekend), but this really is better because the majority of people creating the value are now actually being rewarded for doing so.

How many Doctors didn't go to Medical School? I can't believe Medical Schools have a monopoly on producing Doctors. Huh? They were blessed with the opportunity to play for an organization that prepared them for the highest level of their sport/chosen career. That's not a negative that is an extreme positive. Ask every one of them if they think of it as a negative experience being 'forced' to play college football which led to their terrible experience of playing NFL Football. They will look at you like you have 2 heads and just walk away.
What an absolutely ridiculous non-sequitur. Doctors go to Medical school to learn their craft. Which NFL player needed to go to college for any reason whatsoever?

Ask Maurice Clarett about how being forced to play college football worked for him.

Is that college’s fault? They get free training, free coaching, use of facilities just for them, uniforms, gear, besides free room and board, free food just for them, free tutoring, free tuition, free transportation to and from games. Isn’t it the NFL’s fault for using colleges to do their work for them? If they could make money off developing them, they would do it. It’s a losing proposition for them. Why shouldn’t the NBA, NFL who use colleges to develop their teams, subsidize them? Colleges save the NFL (and NBA) millions if not billions of $ developing their players. College play is how the NFL skim the top players for their rosters. There’s a reason that they don’t have developmental leagues to fill their rosters, the cost to them, because that is done for them by colleges and their fans.

The same colleges that are tearing apart college athletics with realignment in chase of the almighty dollar?

Solid boomer take.

The minute football began to bring in more money than it cost to run the program (scholarships included) the players deserved a cut. A college degree has been a dime a dozen for 30 years

But the people making all the money aren't the ones paying the players. Private donors are doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom