This is why 99% of kids | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

Some asinine comments from both sides of the discussion in this thread. Good job folks.
Well Done Yes GIF

This thread has been lost. Can we start a new thread celebrating the graduation and accomplishments of our own players that will be going on to do something great in life? Whether that be in in the football world or not. We all love Syracuse football and we will soon be back to the days we thought were gone. But there are bigger things in life, and these young men will be apart of that, proudly representing Syracuse University.

But the people making all the money aren't the ones paying the players. Private donors are doing it.
There are no perfect solutions if your gripe is that the school isn’t paying them, that’s fair. If your gripe is they are getting paid at all then go back to the 80s

Solid boomer take.

The minute football began to bring in more money than it cost to run the program (scholarships included) the players deserved a cut. A college degree has been a dime a dozen for 30 years
A college degree is only what you make of it, a degree from Syracuse University is life-changing, Broad-spectrum skills, life long relationships, learning how to fall and get up. I know this can occur at other universities, however I was privileged to be Orange. With so many of my brothers and sisters, many of whom played sports. If they took advantage with the skills offered, not given, miracles occur. If some can make money, I pray it will not pollute the original intent. Also remember the funding sources for all equally important non-revenue sports, many have been cut.

Sure. I know style of the poster and the purpose of his posts. It was posted in that fashion to get that response from OIG. It was to start a debate about paying players and that the REAL reason to play college football is to get a degree. You can think otherwise and that’s your right.
What if it is true, and that should unequivocally the the primary purpose. Because if it is not, that little bit of capital will shrivel extremely quickly, and then you are left with nothing, maybe a free transfer, loss of vision and most importantly lacking the skills that come with a college degree which prepare you for life. You must remember where a lot of kids come from, we were lacking the skills to begin with secondary to the environments from which we came. Anyone with true knowledge would know this. We better meet in the middle or we potentially lose not only the sport but the amazing more important opportunities it creates. I say GoSU all day long

What if it is true, and that should unequivocally the the primary purpose. Because if it is not, that little bit of capital will shrivel extremely quickly, and then you are left with nothing, maybe a free transfer, loss of vision and most importantly lacking the skills that come with a college degree which prepare you for life. You must remember where a lot of kids come from, we were lacking the skills to begin with secondary to the environments from which we came. Anyone with true knowledge would know this. We better meet in the middle or we potentially lose not only the sport but the amazing more important opportunities it creates. I say GoSU all day long
I concur

A "quality education and lifelong friends" while schools made millions and millions of dollars off of their name, image, and likeness. Fair trade-off :rolleyes:

They WEREN'T ALLOWED to maximize their opportunities. Couldn't even sign autographs for $100. If a kid didn't have the talent to go pro, they couldn't make any money to set themselves up for the future.

It's crazy, for all the people that scream capitalism is good, they sure don't like it when the workers want to be paid for their sacrifices.
See now i feel they are getting 60,000 dollar a year education. I have never understood the kids dont get nothing thing cause they do. How it is now cannot be sustained period. Just to crazy. I wish i had a great fix but i dont.

Meh, I don’t think it was unjust at all. The money in CFB is just insane now. Up until the 90s or so, players had a great opportunity to get a quality education, make life-long friends and contacts, and have a CHANCE to play professionally. There was nothing wrong with that. If they didn’t maximize their opportunities, that was on them.
They got scholarships to get an education. The system worked just fine the way it was. The current system is completely disgrace. Anyone that says otherwise is completely insane. To be a successful college sports team you have to pay the most money. This was supposed to be amateur athletics not the free for all it has become

A college degree is only what you make of it, a degree from Syracuse University is life-changing, Broad-spectrum skills, life long relationships, learning how to fall and get up. I know this can occur at other universities, however I was privileged to be Orange. With so many of my brothers and sisters, many of whom played sports. If they took advantage with the skills offered, not given, miracles occur. If some can make money, I pray it will not pollute the original intent. Also remember the funding sources for all equally important non-revenue sports, many have been cut.
Still not an excuse for not getting your fair share of the millions your performance brings in. Those in the non revenue sports getting the same as revenue generating sports for as long as they did only proved the system was flawed, not the other way around.

What an absolutely ridiculous non-sequitur. Doctors go to Medical school to learn their craft. Which NFL player needed to go to college for any reason whatsoever?

Ask Maurice Clarett about how being forced to play college football
And NFL Football players learn their craft in College Football, and the other 98% don't make it get an education to pursue other professions. That is not the definition of a monopoly. No one knows which ones when they start their college football journey.

Last edited:
They got scholarships to get an education. The system worked just fine the way it was. The current system is completely disgrace. Anyone that says otherwise is completely insane. To be a successful college sports team you have to pay the most money. This was supposed to be amateur athletics not the free for all it has become
I’m sure the colleges who profited off of these sports for nearly half a century want you to think that. What is insane is you going to work everyday expecting a pay check while simultaneously acting like these players, who likely work far harder than you, generate much more value, and have a far more unique skill set should be limited to receiving the same “benefits” given to those who generate no value whatsoever. All because you want the team to be better than they are. If Syracuse was crushing it every year in the major revenue sports people would calling for this system to proliferate even more. This is all Sour grapes and openly spreading college athletics historical propaganda.

Last edited:
Too much negativity here. Clearly there are more posts to celebrate our players. Congrats to all mentioned so far. Forgot about you Neil but happy you stuck it out! Fellas, keep making us proud to be fans of Syracuse football. And more importantly, proud to be fans of you all as individuals!

My wife and I both have grad degrees from Newhouse that neither of us are using in our careers.
Well you met her?, I trust you're doing well, both of you. I also hope you had an amazing experience where you learned some amazing skills that are applicable to life as well as occupations across a spectrum. Great school I hear. I graduated from a school that is no longer there, the school of nursing. There has been some talk about restarting, I could go on and on about the decision to close..., I am however still a graduate of this University, my time was precious. I was accepted into the National Health Service Corp from that University, Time well spent

Well you met her?, I trust you're doing well, both of you. I also hope you had an amazing experience where you learned some amazing skills that are applicable to life as well as occupations across a spectrum. Great school I hear. I graduated from a school that is no longer there, the school of nursing. There has been some talk about restarting, I could go on and on about the decision to close..., I am however still a graduate of this University, my time was precious. I was accepted into the National Health Service Corp from that University, Time well spent
I hope SU restores nursing and even more health care degree options.

The current system is a disgrace because the players are no longer free labor?

See now i feel they are getting 60,000 dollar a year education. I have never understood the kids dont get nothing thing cause they do. How it is now cannot be sustained period. Just to crazy. I wish i had a great fix but i dont.
If you told them they could play football in a development league that would give them the same opportunity as college without the classes, I bet most kids would take it.

There's a lot of worthless degrees in college. A lot of these kids are getting a general degree because it's the easiest courseload.

They can get a degree while getting paid what they should.

Jeff I see your point but a minor league FB system never happened because a 100 years ago college FB was bigger than the NFL.

Frankly college FB players have it pretty good.

Tuition: check
Staff support: check
Free Medical: check
Room and Board: check
Alpha Status on Campus: check

Now they have pay for play and instant followers on social media.

Last edited:
If you told them they could play football in a development league that would give them the same opportunity as college without the classes, I bet most kids would take it.

There's a lot of worthless degrees in college. A lot of these kids are getting a general degree because it's the easiest courseload.

They can get a degree while getting paid what they should.
I wouldnt disagree with a salary setup for each individual kid plus the scholoarship. whatshappening now xant kerp happening. Have to restrict it somehow and even it out. I wish i had the answer for coaches and kids.

I wouldnt disagree with a salary setup for each individual kid plus the scholoarship. whatshappening now xant kerp happening. Have to restrict it somehow and even it out. I wish i had the answer for coaches and kids.
Why do you have to restrict someone's earning potential or movement in a free market?

College sports were killed by the greed of conferences/member schools and their commissioners long before the players started asking for their cut.

I feel like the tone of the OP is that "These are just normal kids. They should just focus on getting an education."

They're not normal college kids, though. You know how many scholarships are available among the 69 "power" teams? 5,865. That means of the 1 million plus high school football players, ~.6% get high D1 scholarships.

These guys already the best of their age group, and they're treated like a commodity from the moment they hit middle school. (See the entire recruiting board for goodness sake.)

So why should their aim be a degree and then start at the bottom rung of some office job when their elite athletic ability could theoretically earn them much more much faster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom