This is why 99% of kids | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

Capitalism - a willing exchange of goods and services. Those “student athletes” in the 60s, 70s and 80s knew exactly what they were exchanging. And for every kid who didn’t get a chance to make $100 for his autograph, there were 1,000 kids who would have given their left nut just to have the CHANCE that those kids got.

I know “Boomers” who played sports at lower levels. They would have killed to play at an SU or a major college program.
The NCAA is a monopsony. Not really a characteristic of free market capitalism..

I feel like the tone of the OP is that "These are just normal kids. They should just focus on getting an education."

They're not normal college kids, though. You know how many scholarships are available among the 69 "power" teams? 5,865. That means of the 1 million plus high school football players, ~.6% get high D1 scholarships.

These guys already the best of their age group, and they're treated like a commodity from the moment they hit middle school. (See the entire recruiting board for goodness sake.)

So why should their aim be a degree and then start at the bottom rung of some office job when their elite athletic ability could theoretically earn them much more much faster?
Sadly because only 1.6% of college football players ever make it to the NFL. 98.4% don’t. Should reality be ignored?

Sadly because only 1.6% of college football players ever make it to the NFL. 98.4% don’t.
You're looking at whole numbers. I'm talking specifically about power conferences.

~.6% of HS players get a "power conference" scholarship. In this year's NFL draft, 84% of picks went to "power conference" colleges, meaning ~3.7% of players on available "power" scholarships in 2023 got drafted in 2024.

The numbers may seem small, but that to me says if you're already among the elite at a power conference school, your focus should be football and the potential life-changing wealth that comes with it. Chase it while you can!

You're looking at whole numbers. I'm talking specifically about power conferences.

~.6% of HS players get a "power conference" scholarship. In this year's NFL draft, 84% of picks went to "power conference" colleges, meaning ~3.7% of players on available "power" scholarships in 2023 got drafted in 2024.

The numbers may seem small, but that to me says if you're already among the elite at a power conference school, your focus should be football and the potential life-changing wealth that comes with it. Chase it while you can!
So it’s ok with you that even 96.3% of power conference player’s real futures be ignored after their playing days? Without a college education they can’t even coach at a high school after their playing days.

So it’s ok with you that even 96.3% of power conference player’s real futures be ignored after their playing days? Without a college education they can’t even coach at a high school after their playing days.
No one is saying the access to education should be taken away. It's the patronizing tone that that should be their focus, when they have an avenue to life-changing amounts of money much faster.

No one is saying the access to education should be taken away. It's the patronizing tone that that should be their focus, when they have an avenue to life-changing amounts of money much faster.
Realistically for the very few. Even the NFL recognizing that those 3.7% who make it need to prepare for the future since the average career lasts only 3.3 years offering an MBA program where you need a bachelors to even take advantage.

Realistically for the very few. Even the NFL recognizing that those 3.7% who make it need to prepare for the future since the average career lasts only 3.3 years offering an MBA program where you need a bachelors to even take advantage.
A player makes $12,000 a week just by being on a practice squad. Guys have been training their whole lives for that, and it's a nice sum of money for a 22 or 23 year old. So why not strive for that?

The athletic peak only lasts a few years, which makes the need to maximize it while one has it so paramount.

On the other hand, there's no age restriction on getting a degree.

I maintain my earlier point that today's student-athletes can have it all - they can complete a degree and receive better compensation for their standing as a revenue generator.

A player makes $12,000 a week just by being on a practice squad. Guys have been training their whole lives for that, and it's a nice sum of money for a 22 or 23 year old. So why not strive for that?

The athletic peak only lasts a few years, which makes the need to maximize it while one has it so paramount.

Look there’s reality and then there’s dreaming that something will last forever. There are monetary, physical and time restrictions though. With 78% of those 3.7% who make it, going bankrupt within 3 years of retirement, many who have children, families and enduring physical ailments - that money is life altering for a very tiny portion of their life. No one is saying they shouldn’t strive going to the NFL but they should (and their fans) face the realities and encourage them also to maximize their earning potential for the long term.

A free one?

how many kids are ready to go pro at 17 or 18.

the nfl doesn’t want them at that age

the system works to everyone’s benefit. The vast majority get an opportunity for a free college education and get to keep playing. The elite get to mature and develop to get ready for the next level.

the nfl gets a couple of years of higher level competition and maturity to bring players in. The schools get revenue generation to support their whole athletic departments, and a social event for students and alums to bond around

Last edited:
Look there’s reality and then there’s dreaming that something will last forever. There are monetary, physical and time restrictions though. With 78% of those 3.7% who make it, going bankrupt within 3 years of retirement, many who have children, families and enduring physical ailments - that money is life altering for a very tiny portion of their life. No one is saying they shouldn’t strive going to the NFL but they should (and their fans) face the realities and encourage them also to maximize their earning potential for the long term.
Got it. So go to college and give up on your dreams. Cool.

A free one?

the system works to everyone’s benefit. The vast majority get an opportunity for a free college education and get to keep playing. The elite get to mature and develop to get ready for the next level.

the nfl gets a couple of years of higher level competition and maturity to bring players in. The schools get revenue generation to support there whole athletic departments, and a social event for students and alums to bond around
Let's all put on our varsity sweaters and sing the fight song and enjoy the fact that it's still 1954.

If I may, though, things are really out of whack for young people.

Scott Galloway has some very provocative thoughts on this:

I'd encourage them to go to a trade school then if we are being serious about caring about maximizing the earning potential. A degree in general studies doesn't really bring the bucks these days.

78% of those who make it go bankrupt within 3 years of retirement? Where in the world are you getting that number?

I'd argue getting a large sum of money at some point gives you a better chance at maximizing your earning potential than a child and family studies degree.

78% of those who make it go bankrupt within 3 years of retirement? Where in the world are you getting that number?

I'd argue getting a large sum of money at some point gives you a better chance at maximizing your earning potential than a child and family studies degree.

Sports Illustrated article from 2009. Hopefully things have improved.

A free one?

the nfl gets a couple of years of higher level competition and maturity to bring players in. The schools get revenue generation to support there whole athletic departments, and a social event for students and alums to bond around
"The system works to everyone's (NFL & College programs, and those who make money from them's) benefit"

Soccer has existed across the world since before the 1900's. Kids go to the club's academies, and get paid as soon as they are 16/17 years old. If they are good enough, they get paid more. If they aren't, at least they made some money, and can then pursue another career.

Let's all put on our varsity sweaters and sing the fight song and enjoy the fact that it's still 1954.
Wow, so inciteful. Instead of dismissing the analysis that reflects current day reality, and the equities and interests all around for all parties, why don’t you offer something of substance.

Wow, so inciteful. Instead of dismissing the analysis that reflects current day reality, and the equities and interests all around for all parties, why don’t you offer something of substance.
All I've seen on your end is wishing for the "good ol' days".

How many kids that didn't go to college went to the NFL?

College football is a monopoly. There is no other option for any of these guys, they are FORCED to play college football.

How many kids couldn't get into college that could have played in the NFL? These kids were forced into the system under the guise of a college education.
NOBODY is FORCED to play college football or any other sport.

The money I'm afraid will be fleeting for most. I wish they all would bank 75% of their net earnings and don't touch it until they need it for a house, etc...

18-22 year olds are not ready for the NFL (sure there are a few unicorns)

College if done right gives 18-22 year olds a chance to grow as a person too in a somewhat protective bubble.

I wonder how many NBA busts wish they stayed in college?

18-22 year olds are not ready for the NFL (sure there are a few unicorns)

College if done right gives 18-22 year olds a chance to grow as a person too in a somewhat protective bubble.

I wonder how many NBA busts wish they stayed in college?
I doubt there are any NBA busts that wish they stayed in college. They made their money.

On the other hand, how many kids regret staying an extra year and blew their chance at earning a payday. Or how many kids stock dropped because they weren't eligible to be drafted. Or how many kids became academically ineligible because they just weren't a fit for college, and were never seen again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom