Tony White | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

At multiple stops? He was co-OC with Lynch at BGSU for 1 year and then at SU.
He went 2-10, 7-6, 3-1, 7-7 and 5-7 with the Golden Flashes.
Now Sanders has demoted him mid-season.
If SU is to replace Babers I would prefer someone with more experience as a winning HC.
And they are one of the top offenses in the country … they aren’t winning games because of bad O … why isn’t the D being held accountable? Yes multiple stops … btw he had Kent State heading in the right direction so with BGSU, SU, Kent State and now Colorado he has proven capable. Still don’t get the Lynch love of course now he can’t ride Lewis” coattails. If Lynch was so wonderful why didn’t he keep the reigns … anyone paying attention saw the travesty of 2019 and it’s progressively gotten worse. Glad the kids like Lynch but he was pulled from OC duties because our offense was offensive can’t sugar coat it.

You keep missing my point, so I must be failing to communicate well. Let me start over.

When either unit of your team is successful, those coordinators are ripe for the picking for head coach gigs elsewhere, so you'll experience turnover and have to keep hiring good people. That is hard to sustain. So you ideally want to minimize turnover in the people running your units.

OK, now, most head coaches run a unit and are responsible for the scheme. So when those coordinators get hired away, you're not losing the person who runs the unit and is responsible for the scheme. So you maintain continuity on that side of the ball.

Most schools want to hire offensive minded head coaches, so you're going to be likely to experience more turnover of the people running your schemes on offense if you have a defensive minded head coach than you will on defense if you have an offensive minded head coach. Simply because offensive guys get hired as head coaches more often, so those candidates get cycled through faster.

You were referencing Lewis as if WE had him as a head coach, we did not. When he left, we maintained our theoretical continuity on offense under our offensive head coach in Babers. The issue is Dino hasn't been successful overseeing the offense here and has churned through coordinators, becoming more of a "CEO" model head coach. I don't think CEO model head coaches are very often sustainable outside the powerhouse schools that can pay top dollar to retain top coordinators and replace them with top talent when they leave. And Dino isn't even a good CEO model head coach.

Anyway the point is, there's a tradeoff to hiring a defensive minded head coach - you're probably going to have a hard time keeping a successful offensive coordinator for more than two years of success before they get hired away, which means you're going to have to overhaul the scheme/system/terminology every couple of years or limit yourself to promoting from within which is also risky.

No that isn’t why I referenced Lewis … your conjecture is that with an offensive coach there would be less turnover and continuity which is false. Patently false.

I couldn't care less which side of the ball the HC comes from as long as he brings someone who can run a functioning O and actually allows that person to do it.

A guy from the defensive side of the ball is more likely to let the OC handle the offense. An offensive guy might do too much meddling.

No that isn’t why I referenced Lewis … your conjecture is that with an offensive coach there would be less turnover and continuity which is false. Patently false.
No, my conjecture is that with an offensive head coach who is *running the offense* there will be less turnover and more continuity on offense because the head coach will still be there when the coordinators get hired away, and he (the head coach) was the one running the show anyway.

No, my conjecture is that with an offensive head coach who is *running the offense* there will be less turnover and more continuity on offense because the head coach will still be there when the coordinators get hired away, and he (the head coach) was the one running the show anyway.
And that isn’t the case here … Lewis left … nose dive in 2019. Lynch gets moved for Gilbert than Gilbert for Anae then Beck and all the while we’ve looked like crap. So no it doesn’t guarantee anything.

And they are one of the top offenses in the country … they aren’t winning games because of bad O … why isn’t the D being held accountable? Yes multiple stops … btw he had Kent State heading in the right direction so with BGSU, SU, Kent State and now Colorado he has proven capable. Still don’t get the Lynch love of course now he can’t ride Lewis” coattails. If Lynch was so wonderful why didn’t he keep the reigns … anyone paying attention saw the travesty of 2019 and it’s progressively gotten worse. Glad the kids like Lynch but he was pulled from OC duties because our offense was offensive can’t sugar coat it.
I don't think people know how pathetic of a program Kent State has been and what an achievement it is to get them competitive in the MAC. Can you imagine trying to recruit players to KSU. There's the big wagon wheel rivalry with ACKron, LOL. He will get a HC job at the end of this season.

And that isn’t the case here … Lewis left … nose dive in 2019. Lynch gets moved for Gilbert than Gilbert for Anae then Beck and all the while we’ve looked like crap. So no it doesn’t guarantee anything.
You're completely missing the point here. If you hire an offensive head coach... and the offensive head coach is successful... and the offensive head coach is responsible for running the offense... then the turnover at offensive coordinator does not mean as much because the successful offensive head coach who is responsible for running the offense is still running the offense!

OK, so let's walk through this. Syracuse hired an offensive head coach in Dino Babers. Was the offensive head coach successful? No. Was the offensive head coach responsible for running the offense? No. So Dino Babers has nothing to do with my point.

You're completely missing the point here. If you hire an offensive head coach... and the offensive head coach is successful... and the offensive head coach is responsible for running the offense... then the turnover at offensive coordinator does not mean as much because the successful offensive head coach who is responsible for running the offense is still running the offense!

OK, so let's walk through this. Syracuse hired an offensive head coach in Dino Babers. Was the offensive head coach successful? No. Was the offensive head coach responsible for running the offense? No. So Dino Babers has nothing to do with my point.
And you have no idea if the next guy is successful either. My point is and still stands you don’t hire a guy just because he has an offensive background for “continuity sake” it’s a failed approach and Dino proved that. That is what you’re advocating … I want the best guy we can get regardless of what side of the ball his history is from.

QB

Kent State is one of the hardest jobs in the country. Since 1980 they’ve won 7 or more games 4 times, Sean Lewis is 2 of those in a 3 year span. I don’t want Sean Lewis, but dismissing him and calling him a “myth” is insane.

What was the real reason he left for Nebraska. I was told we offered him more money but in me head he couldn’t deal with Dino anymore lol. Does anyone know the truth.

I like Coach White too, but If what I was told by more than one person with knowledge is the reason White left had nothing to do with Dino. If what I was told has any truth to it then I doubt Coach White will be coming to CNY.

And you have no idea if the next guy is successful either. My point is and still stands you don’t hire a guy just because he has an offensive background for “continuity sake” it’s a failed approach and Dino proved that. That is what you’re advocating … I want the best guy we can get regardless of what side of the ball his history is from.
If the guy isn't successful none of it matters, you're gonna fire him and clean house anyway.

I'm not saying you pass up on a clearly better defensive candidate, but if it's close, going offensive minded is the right approach. It can be correct to hire a defensive coach, but it is a mistake to conduct a search of only one side of the ball and especially only defensive candidates. So far that's what the rumor mill is churning out.

If the guy isn't successful none of it matters, you're gonna fire him and clean house anyway.

I'm not saying you pass up on a clearly better defensive candidate, but if it's close, going offensive minded is the right approach. It can be correct to hire a defensive coach, but it is a mistake to conduct a search of only one side of the ball and especially only defensive candidates. So far that's what the rumor mill is churning out.
Who said they didn’t look at candidates on both sides … we make a ton of assumptions with no insight … a great board staple.

I like Coach White too, but If what I was told by more than one person with knowledge is the reason White left had nothing to do with Dino. If what I was told has any truth to it then I doubt Coach White will be coming to CNY.
Go on

>Sell me on Tony White

Tony White's defense got trucked by all the power running teams just last season, and he had no idea of how to adjust to mitigate that. It was pathetic coaching, whether in-game or pre-week preparation.

See what Ryan Walters, last year's top DC in the B1G, is doing at Purdue as HC? 2-7.

Tony White seems like the same kind of hire. We have to do better.

Kent State is one of the hardest jobs in the country. Since 1980 they’ve won 7 or more games 4 times, Sean Lewis is 2 of those in a 3 year span. I don’t want Sean Lewis, but dismissing him and calling him a “myth” is insane.
And Darrell Hazell had two winning season in three years at Kent St in 2011 and 2012 before becoming the HC at Purdue.

...I would make one point that it can be easily argued he used SU as a stepping stone and jumped ship after 2 years.
And that would be a reasonable take.

I'm only a fan, not a plugged-in insider so I really have no clue about TW's motivation to leave. However, I've read that JW really wanted White to stay at SU and backed it up with financial incentives. But there were supposedly "some things going on behind-the-scenes" (differences with Babers maybe?) that also contributed to White wanting to leave and take the Nebraska job. Again, I don't know the whole story there so take that fwiw. But if JW wants him back now, White obviously burnt no bridges with him when he left.

You mean that the players like Tony White? Players say those kinds of things. Some coaches succeed, some do not. I think I’m falling into the camp of someone who’s been a HC before.

It’s easy ti hate on HCs with mediocre records because they have records. Assistant coaches have no records, so it’s easy to be hopeful with them. I think we need a solid, if not spectacular, head coach. We’re not getting a premier head coach, so someone who’s solid but not a celebrity is who I’d go after. Are there any Dave Clawsons out there?
Chris Creighton at Eastern Michigan is similar but would inspire no one here except me lol. Overall losing record at Eastern but 21 of those loses came in his first 2 years there. He's just above .500 since 2016 with 5 bowl games and probably a 6th this year. Would love him or Chesney but think we'll end up with White which is fine with me.

Neither Sean Lewis nor Tony White will be the next head coach at Syracuse (if a change is even made).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom