Transfer Market | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Transfer Market

He's always been 45 at club level.

He will wear the No. 45 shirt for the Reds, explaining, “When I first played three or four games with Inter Milan, when I was young, I had No.45 because the numbers for young players were from No.36 to No.50.

“I took No.45 because I was joking that four plus five is nine – and I scored in all four games. It brings me luck and that’s why I’ve always kept No.45.”

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/08/confirmed-mario-balotelli-completes-16m-liverpool-move/

Didn't realize that.

Torres to AC Milan picking up steam. Torres wants a permanent deal, no loan, and a 3 year contract. I guers Chelsea has to find a buyer for Torres before they can get serious about a backup striker (Destro?).

Meanwhile, Samuel Eto'0 appears about to be offered a 2 year deal at Everton.

Also, it appears that Roma has found their replacement for Benatia, signing that Greek defender, so expect that move to Bayern to go thru shortly.

Torres to AC Milan picking up steam. Torres wants a permanent deal, no loan, and a 3 year contract. I guers Chelsea has to find a buyer for Torres before they can get serious about a backup striker (Destro?).

Also, it appears that Roma has found their replacement for Benatia, signing that Greek defender, so expect that move to Bayern to go thru shortly.
Torres is useless

It's official
Screen-Shot-2014-08-25-at-17.01.50-600x333.png

Screen-Shot-2014-08-25-at-17.02.19-600x382.png
Enjoy

Everton has the makings of a nice collection of Chelsea malcontents. First, Lukaku and now maybe Eto'o. Bet the Mourinho stick pin voodoo doll gets some extra work out this week.

Torres is useless

In my opinion, Torres could be useful in a different league, and Italy is probably a good place for him. It's a slower game than England. It's not quite as physical. He has remained productive in European competition while he has struggled in the Premier League. I could see him getting 10 goals or so for Milan, which would help revitalize Torres' career.

Everton has the makings of a nice collection of Chelsea malcontents. First, Lukaku and now maybe Eto'o. Bet the Mourinho stick pin voodoo doll gets some extra work out this week.

Don't forget Christian Atsu, too. He's a winger who played for them the other day. He's a 21 year old who started in all of Ghana's World Cup games and is on a season long loan to Everton.

Today's transfer updates: Eto'o is taking his physical for Everton today. Two year deal apparently on the table.

AC Milan has agreed to pay 40% of Torres' wages (around 80k pounds/wk), while Chelsea will have to pick up the other 100k/wk for the deal to go thru. Chelsea are also supposedly talking to Milan about a season-long loan for Martin Van Ginkel, their promising young holding midfielder who missed nearly all of last season with an ACL.

DiMaria has arrived in Manchester for his physical, so that deal should be announced within the next 48 hours. United still trying to get Vidal and apparently have launched a new bid. Ajax says no bid received yet for Daley Blind, which suggests to me that United is still dithering with the agent, or maybe it's the agent doing all the talking to the papers. The papers, however, are saying that Blind is a done deal, too.

Arsenal are suddenly looking for another forward with Giroud injuring this ankle, and Torino forward Alessio Cerci looks like their top choice. Cerci scored 13 goals in Serie A last year.

Defender Kostas Manolas is set to sign for Roma (someone Arsenal was also tracking as a replacement for Vermaelen, who was sold to Barca), but were beaten to the punch for a little over 10M pounds. This sets the stage for Mehdi Benatia's sale to Bayern to go through, since Roma have found their replacement (and will net a tidy 24M net profit).

DiMaria finally signs with United. Record fee for England, surpassing that of 'Nando Torres.

(Milan seems THISCLOSE to signing Torres and Van Ginkel on loan may be the enticement to finalize the deal.)

Michael Dawson sold by Spurs to Hull City, signs 3 year contract.

Mascherano re-signs with Barca.

Balotelli signs Liverpool deal.

Eto'o officially signs two year deal with Everton. I hope he's not ready to play against Chelsea this weekend.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/337353.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Real Madrid reportedly about to use some of the DiMaria money to sign Radamel Falcao from Monaco. I've read numerous times that this is a 1 year loan deal at about 10m Euros with the actual purchase to follow in year 2, which makes a big difference for FFP purposes.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/r...-to-finally-sign-radamel-falcao-le-10-sport/?

Arsenal to bid for Danny Welbeck, now that DiMaria is in the fold for United?

Ajax saying they have received no bid for Daley Blind from United, despite reports.

AC Milan hopeful of wrapping up a double move for Chelsea's Fernando Torres and Marco Van Ginkel. Both are said to be one year loans with the option to buy. I'm a bit surprised on Van Ginkel, Matic is 26, not 23. Mikel is probably on his way out. I thought Mourinho wanted to get a few of the young guys into the squad this season.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has told the press that Roberto Soldado and Andros Townsend are not for sale. Seems to me Spurs have about 4 or 5 guys too many on their squad, but don't blame the new manager for holding on to the striker. I think he will be much better this season.

Barca sign Brazilian defender Douglas from Sao Paolo.

Arsenal supposedly going to bid 50M pounds for Cavani of PSG. (Yeah, right.) They do need another striker, but Wenger is far more likely to pay around 10M for some French player. And don't they really need a holding midfielder and central defender just as much, if not more? Luis Gustavo of Wolfsburg is a possible target, since Sami Khedeira has priced himself out of a move.

Holding midfielder William Carvalho of Sporting Lisbon is now being mentioned with Arsenal, too, after being linked with all the big clubs in Europe. Lisbon has reportedly knocked his asking price down substantially, so a move is possible, although that's likely to try to get others interested, to bid him back up.

Spurs to pay the release clause to get Federico Fazio of Sevilla as a replacement centerback for the departed Michael Dawson?

Juventus said to be interested in Arsenal's Lukas Podolski as a front man, but in light of Giroud's broken ankle, this most likely isn't going to happen.

Petr Cech pushing for a move to Paris St. Germain. Mourinho and Chelsea would prefer to keep him at least until January, to give Courtois a chance to settle into England (and playing in nasty weather). This will be interesting, and not in a good way for Chelsea fans.

Now that Liverpool's interest has apparently cooled, PSG are still trying to move Ezequiel Lavezzi, with Inter being suggested as a new destination. But Italians clubs really don't have money to spend, generally speaking, in the current market. Will Chelsea resurface and snatch him up, to keep Hazard on his toes and working on the defensive end?

Barca sign Brazilian defender Douglas from Sao Paolo.

Arsenal supposedly going to bid 50M pounds for Cavani of PSG. (Yeah, right.) They do need another striker, but Wenger is far more likely to pay around 10M for some French player. And don't they really need a holding midfielder and central defender just as much, if not more? Luis Gustavo of Wolfsburg is a possible target, since Sami Khedeira has priced himself out of a move.

Holding midfielder William Carvalho of Sporting Lisbon is now being mentioned with Arsenal, too, after being linked with all the big clubs in Europe. Lisbon has reportedly knocked his asking price down substantially, so a move is possible, although that's likely to try to get others interested, to bid him back up.

Spurs to pay the release clause to get Federico Fazio of Sevilla as a replacement centerback for the departed Michael Dawson?

Juventus said to be interested in Arsenal's Lukas Podolski as a front man, but in light of Giroud's broken ankle, this most likely isn't going to happen.

Petr Cech pushing for a move to Paris St. Germain. Mourinho and Chelsea would prefer to keep him at least until January, to give Courtois a chance to settle into England (and playing in nasty weather). This will be interesting, and not in a good way for Chelsea fans.

Now that Liverpool's interest has apparently cooled, PSG are still trying to move Ezequiel Lavezzi, with Inter being suggested as a new destination. But Italians clubs really don't have money to spend, generally speaking, in the current market. Will Chelsea resurface and snatch him up, to keep Hazard on his toes and working on the defensive end?

I don't really understand financial fair play so I might be wrong about this, but it seems like PSG is going to have to move Lavezzi (or somebody else) before they can afford to bring in Cech.

EDIT: By the way I love these transfer posts that you do. You do a better job of consolidating the rumors than most of the professional soccer websites.

Man Utd have been linked with a move for Dutch international Danny Blind during the summer but Ajax say the club have made "no contact at all" over a possible deal. Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf quote Ajax director of football Marc Overmars saying:
"There's some rumblings around Daley, some clubs enquired, but there is no concrete offer. And with Manchester United, there is no contact at all."

Thanks very much, General. I enjoy the transfer dance, and have been following European club football for about 5 years now, so I'm starting to get the hang of what's real, what's possible, and what is attributable to agents trying to generate interest in their clients.

A couple mid-day updates.

Juventus have signed Adrien Rabiot of Paris St. Germain, so Arturo Vidal may be making that move to United after all, now that Juve have a replacement in hand (it so often happens this way). Newspaper reports are saying United will have to stump up Shinji Kagawa, Chicharito and about 35M pounds (wow, that's what happens when you advertise how much money you have to spend!). United is desperate after the disaster against MK Dons, and may very well overpay (again) to get their man.

Reports that Martin Van Ginkel, young holding MF for Chelsea, has turned down the loan deal to AC Milan and prefers to stay and fight for a place with Chelsea.

Spurs close on replacement defender Federico Fazio of Sevilla for 8M pounds. (Good business!)

Arsenal may bid for Liverpool's unsettled defender Daniel Agger.

Liverpool renewing interest in Bayern Munich's Xherdan Shaqiri, who had a pretty solid World Cup for Switzerland.

Last edited:
Hamburg have confirmed their interest in signing Germany midfielderLewis Holtby from Tottenham. The 23-year-old has three years remaining on his Spurs contract, but could be surplus to requirements under Mauricio Pochettino. The Bundesliga club's director Dietmar Beiersdorf told the German press:

I don't really understand financial fair play so I might be wrong about this, but it seems like PSG is going to have to move Lavezzi (or somebody else) before they can afford to bring in Cech.

EDIT: By the way I love these transfer posts that you do. You do a better job of consolidating the rumors than most of the professional soccer websites.

FFP in summary - a club is not supposed to lose more than 50M Euros in net spending over a 3 year period. This past spring is the first time that these new rules (which have been discussed and were adopted several seasons ago) have actually been applied. Something like 72 clubs throughout Europe were afoul of the rules. Only a few were sanctioned, though, for truly excessive spending - included were Paris St. Germain, Manchester City and Barcelona.

What has happened is that PSG and City are limited in the amount of players they can place on their Champions League squads, with the limit being determined by the gross salary of the players. Barca, for different reasons, have been banned from doing business for either 2 or 3 transfer windows, but it won't take effect until January (after an appeal), due to shenanigans they engaged in regarding improper signings of underage youth players.

Turning back to how they calculate FFP - it is a combination of transfer fees spent plus player salaries (amortized over the life of the contract), offset by TV revenues, shirt sales, ticket revenues, advertising and sponsorships (although they are supposed to be for market value). With a new TV contract for the Premier League and its worldwide popularity, those teams do the most business in merchandise sales and TV revenues.

In Spain, however, TV revenues are not split equally among all the teams in the league. They pay out based on TV appearances, and so Real Madrid and Barcelona get the lions' share of the Spanish TV money, which is beginning to really upset the other Spanish clubs, because it pretty much ensures a duopoly on the Spanish title. Barca and Real Madrid are probably the 2 richest clubs in the world right now, followed by the top several English clubs.

Bayern Munich is by far the richest club in Germany and dominates the Bundesliga. Dortmund has challenged them the last couple years, but the measure of Bayern's financial power is that they publicly recruit players from other German squads for minimal fees, like the Yankees used to raid poorer clubs back in the 1940s and 50s to buy up rising stars.

The Italian league has been in decline for several years now, and has a TV contract that pays only half of what the contract pays in England - kind of like the dynamics behind college sports realignment. Juventus has won 3 straight titles, but they were tainted in a game fixing scandal several years ago. Roma was number 2 last year, but wound up in the lowest seeded pot for the champions league draw because Italian sides have fared so poorly in these competitions ever since Jose Mourinho led Inter Milan to their treble and then left for Real Madrid back in 2010.

"The rich get richer."

Last edited:
and in the "where the hell did they come up with this rubbish" catagory

• DAILY STAR: Liverpool's Joe Allen is a £20million option for Manchester United

Yeah, that one did not make my cut.

Hamburg have confirmed their interest in signing Germany midfielderLewis Holtby from Tottenham. The 23-year-old has three years remaining on his Spurs contract, but could be surplus to requirements under Mauricio Pochettino. The Bundesliga club's director Dietmar Beiersdorf told the German press:

I like Holtby and think he could help Spurs, but they have about 5 players too many on their roster by my count. Someone has to go.

Yeah, that one did not make my cut.

Since the 1964 transfer of Phil Chisnall from United to Liverpool, no player has been transferred directly between the two clubs.

Only 9 players have ever moved directly between the 2 clubs.
1912Tom ChorltonLiverpoolManchester UnitedNovember
1913Jackie SheldonManchester UnitedLiverpoolSeptember
1920Tom MillerLiverpoolManchester United£2,000May
1921Fred HopkinManchester UnitedLiverpoolFebruary
1929Tommy ReidLiverpoolManchester UnitedJanuary
1938Ted SavageLiverpoolManchester UnitedNovember
1938Allenby ChiltonLiverpoolManchester UnitedFebruary
1954Thomas McNultyManchester UnitedLiverpool£7,000April
1964Phil ChisnallManchester UnitedLiverpool£25,000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members