UConn and the Big 12 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UConn and the Big 12

I thought Clemson was Syracuse's rival???

I understand where you're coming from but no one is going to tune in to watch UConn play Syracuse in football. For that matter no one is going to watch Clemson play UConn either. I get that they offer basketball credibility but that's about it. As much as I like Wake Forest people, they don't offer much at all in revenue sports, same with BC. The conference does not need another nonfactor school.
It is hard to over look all of their basketball championships , as much as Syracuse fans like to do , and call UConn a nonfactor . I mean if they were a decent bball team , yes , but you have to give them some respect . You guys give up playing USC so the conference can go to 9 games and all the teams get to play each more . I didn't think so .

It is hard to over look all of their basketball championships , as much as Syracuse fans like to do , and call UConn a nonfactor . I mean if they were a decent bball team , yes , but you have to give them some respect . You guys give up playing USC so the conference can go to 9 games and all the teams get to play each more . I didn't think so .
UConn-Syracuse do not have a FB rivalry. Nor will they ever. If we never played UConn again I would feel the same as never playing Cincinnati again.

Syracuse is a private school, UConn is a public state school. Sorry outside of CT SU alums the game doesn't matter to SU fans nor does it matter at all nationally.

Basketball rivals is one thing but please stop it. Also, USC-Clemson is a legit rivalry. They are in-state rivals and the game has some juice nationally. How about we are carry the ACC FB banner for 5 years and then we will have capital to cash in.

UConn-Syracuse do not have a FB rivalry. Nor will they ever. If we never played UConn again I would feel the same as never playing Cincinnati again.

Syracuse is a private school, UConn is a public state school. Sorry outside of CT SU alums the game doesn't matter to SU fans nor does it matter at all nationally.

Basketball rivals is one thing but please stop it. Also, USC-Clemson is a legit rivalry. They are in-state rivals and the game has some juice nationally. How about we are carry the ACC FB banner for 5 years and then we will have capital to cash in.
Our biggest rival of recent history was Penn State , which is a mega-state school . It sees really difficult to have a rivalry with a team if you can't drive there from campus in a reasonable time .

UConn v Syracuse is not a football rivalry.

We have regional rivals that percolate at various times...BC, Pitt, West Virginia (now RIP), Rutgers (now RIP), Miami at one point, Penn St (30 years ago).

Our biggest rival of recent history was Penn State , which is a mega-state school . It sees really difficult to have a rivalry with a team if you can't drive there from campus in a reasonable time .
Geography can be a very important component when building a rivalry but there are many other boxes to check before one has truly evolved. Unfortunately for UConn, geography is the ONLY box they check.

A little different there though. Clemson v USC football gets good ratings and has a pretty big draw. No one is tuning in to watch Cuse v UConn. With the landscape we live in now football matters more than anything else. UConn does not bring that and will never bring that.

I know Syracuse fans feel like they are on an island in this conference but it is way better than the alternative. With more time playing conference teams, rivalries will develop. Clemson and FSU are huge rivals and I'd say that didn't develop truly until the last decade. It will happen but it might take some time for Syracuse.

Boston College has the most potential. Give me BC over UConn all day long

NY-MA thing.
Both private schools
350 miles apart
Neither school has a real rival
Kids apply to both schools overlap.
History of playing each other for awhile.
Not UConn.

Boston College has the most potential. Give me BC over UConn all day long

NY-MA thing.
Both private schools
350 miles apart
Neither school has a real rival
Kids apply to both schools overlap.
History of playing each other for awhile.
Not UConn.
That is the problem with BC and Pitt , we can't find any reason to hate them . Pitt wants WVU back on the schedule for just this reason . BC has such high entrance requirements that they can never really become a power , and Notre Dame likes that way anyways and probably works at keeping that way .

How would you like it if BC was the closest conference team to you and supposed to be your big rivalry game ? Pitt is just there , they never have generated any real emotional response of any scale . For a long time we had Penn State but that's gone , then during the Big East we had things building up with Miami , VTECH and WVU . Those are all gone as well . Rutgers was the last team that SU fans got wound up for , for different reasons , gone too . SU does not have a real rivalry and a team needs a real rivalry to define itself .

So you're suggesting that UConn football should be our measuring stick rival? I mean if we're going to have our "rival" be a crummy northeast team it night as well be BC.

SU will reignite some rivalries when we stop sucking. Our rivalries with WVU, VaTech and Miami were all due to both teams being good and playing meaningful games. There was no geographic or fan base connection. If we're competing for the top of the division we'll see rivalries with Louisville (ala WVU), Clemson (ala VaTech) and maybe even Florida State (ala Miami) develop.

That is the problem with BC and Pitt , we can't find any reason to hate them . Pitt wants WVU back on the schedule for just this reason . BC has such high entrance requirements that they can never really become a power , and Notre Dame likes that way anyways and probably works at keeping that way .

Dude, if you can't find a reason to hate Boston College then I don't know what to say to you.

A little different there though. Clemson v USC football gets good ratings and has a pretty big draw. No one is tuning in to watch Cuse v UConn. With the landscape we live in now football matters more than anything else. UConn does not bring that and will never bring that.

I know Syracuse fans feel like they are on an island in this conference but it is way better than the alternative. With more time playing conference teams, rivalries will develop. Clemson and FSU are huge rivals and I'd say that didn't develop truly until the last decade. It will happen but it might take some time for Syracuse.
If UConn does get into the BIG12 , I'm afraid your southern parochialism will be proved wrong and SU will bear the brunt of the adverse effects .

CousCuse said:

That's only because we haven't all been good at the same time. If Narduzzi sticks around and Babers is who we think he is - that can develop much, much faster than a UCONN football rivalry.

I kind of already hate NC State more than UCONN in football.

So you're suggesting that UConn football should be our measuring stick rival? I mean if we're going to have our "rival" be a crummy northeast team it night as well be BC.

SU will reignite some rivalries when we stop sucking. Our rivalries with WVU, VaTech and Miami were all due to both teams being good and playing meaningful games. There was no geographic or fan base connection. If we're competing for the top of the division we'll see rivalries with Louisville (ala WVU), Clemson (ala VaTech) and maybe even Florida State (ala Miami) develop.
We already have a lot of history with UConn football in a short span . Their first D1 coach played his college football as QB at Syracuse ( Randy Edsell ) and then their is Coach P . In any event , the BIG12 said they would announce their decision before the season .

We already have a lot of history with UConn football in a short span . Their first D1 coach played his college football as QB at Syracuse ( Randy Edsell ) and then their is Coach P . In any event , the BIG12 said they would announce their decision before the season .
Even with those ties, nobody here cares about UCONN football. AT ALL... Fact is, Edsall was a dbag regardless of where he coached so people just don't like him, UCONN or MD, so when he left there was no reason to dislike UCONN. As for P, that little stint in Storrs simply proved what a lot of people had been saying before he got fired, game had passed him by and just wasn't HC material anymore. Glad he's had so much success in the NFL but it's not like he went back to UCONN and kicked our ass for a decade, he barely made noise there at all.

Edsall made UConn mediocre while SU was at its nadir.
Coach P's 3 years are why UConn FB is screwed and their FB brand blows.

Syracuse HAS NO HISTORY with UConn football. 6 games or whatever it is means nothing. If we never played UConn again I wouldn't care.

Even with those ties, nobody here cares about UCONN football. AT ALL... Fact is, Edsall was a dbag regardless of where he coached so people just don't like him, UCONN or MD, so when he left there was no reason to dislike UCONN. As for P, that little stint in Storrs simply proved what a lot of people had been saying before he got fired, game had passed him by and just wasn't HC material anymore. Glad he's had so much success in the NFL but it's not like he went back to UCONN and kicked our ass for a decade, he barely made noise there at all.
Nobody cared about eastern basketball before the advent of the Big East conference , brands can be built .

Syracuse HAS NO HISTORY with UConn football. 6 games or whatever it is means nothing. If we never played UConn again I wouldn't care.
We are playing them this year and you will care .

No actually I hate this series and hated it when we signed it. If Frazier did a better job we would have never signed it.

Frazier signing Middle Tennessee without a return game kinda saved him for this stupid series. If SU had taken better control of our future scheduling we would have never seen UConn on the schedule. They bring no fans to the Dome when we played in the Big East and this game blows when our NE fans already have the Metlife game and BC game this year. We couldn't even schedule this game better. If we are going play them then do it when we have BC at home but know we schedule this year.

If we ever schedule UConn again after this 2 game series our AD is stupid.

CousCuse said:

Just another OOC game against a non P5 that we need to win. I actually think I hate Central Mich more than them right now based on their head hunter.

CousCuse said:
Nobody cared about eastern basketball before the advent of the Big East conference , brands can be built .

That coincided with the explosion in cable subs and ESPN's growth. Ancient. History.

The ACC is poised for growth and UCONN's involvement is not moving the needle.

Interesting. You look at UConn like I look at Maryland. Irrelevant to college athletics, and can't stand seeing ESPN make UVA crush that basketball team in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Boring. Would much rather play some other more interesting program that is at least challenging. Then again Ohio State was just as bad. Maybe change it to an ACC-SEC challenge to be more interesting.

And Edsall got involved at Maryland too.

What is going on here? UConn? Seriously?

-Why in the hell would any conference want to "own" New England?

-The UConn BBall brand is not national. Despite all of their success they have a local following, not even a regional one. It is quite odd. UNC and Duke have followings up and down the East Coast. It is hard to find UConn BBall fans in NYC or Boston. So adding UConn gets you Hartford and that is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom