UConn and the Big 12 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UConn and the Big 12

I was not thinking in terms of incremental payouts, but rather how would the ACC take a 15th football school without adding a 16th? Further, how would the ACC structure it's baseball divisions with just 15 teams in the conference?

I was not thinking in terms of incremental payouts, but rather how would the ACC take a 15th football school without adding a 16th? Further, how would the ACC structure it's baseball divisions with just 15 teams in the conference?
Baseball doesn't matter. It's football that is the issue. Give UConn the ND deal. BUT, instead of 5 games, make it 9 games that the ACC schedules for UConn. Together that is 14. It solves the ESPN requirement for 9 games, and UConn is in. They are considering independence for football already.

Btstimpy said:
Baseball doesn't matter. It's football that is the issue. Give UConn the ND deal. BUT, instead of 5 games, make it 9 games that the ACC schedules for UConn. Together that is 14. It solves the ESPN requirement for 9 games, and UConn is in. They are considering independence for football already.

Not sure ESPN signed on for that clusterf ;)

ESPN would need to consider UConn a "P5" type team or a conference member for that to work. It still creates an issue in baseball which cannot be ignored unless SU digs deep in their pockets to start up a baseball and softball team.

ESPN would need to consider UConn a "P5" type team or a conference member for that to work. It still creates an issue in baseball which cannot be ignored unless SU digs deep in their pockets to start up a baseball and softball team.
Baseball doesn't matter because the ACC Champion is determined by the ACC tournament, and the top 10 teams make the tournament regardless of division. The NCAA doesn't have any restrictions on the determination of baseball conference champion like it does football.

And yes, UConn would need to be classified as "P5" which the Big Ten has already officially done. The back and forth within the ACC about 8 conference games or 9 conference games lately would go away. This would solve that.

UConn most likely would not accept an agreement to play 8-9 games annually against one conference unless it was to receive conference membership. Additionally, the NCAA may force the issue by not allowing UConn to join an all sports league that does not sponsor football and then plays either in a P5 league or in a deal where they play 8 or more games annually against a particular league.

UConn is not the best option for the ACC, the Big 12 or even the B1G. I still think the B1G, SEC and ACC are waiting to determine whether the Big 12 will survive. IF not, there are far more attractive teams to poach before UConn will get a look.

UConn most likely would not accept an agreement to play 8-9 games annually against one conference unless it was to receive conference membership. Additionally, the NCAA may force the issue by not allowing UConn to join an all sports league that does not sponsor football and then plays either in a P5 league or in a deal where they play 8 or more games annually against a particular league.

UConn is not the best option for the ACC, the Big 12 or even the B1G. I still think the B1G, SEC and ACC are waiting to determine whether the Big 12 will survive. IF not, there are far more attractive teams to poach before UConn will get a look.
BC does not hold down New England for the ACC . If UCONN got into another P5 conference , that conference would own New England media .

BC does not hold down New England for the ACC . If UCONN got into another P5 conference , that conference would own New England media .
Yeah cause the American controls the New England media now. New England doesn't give a chit about college football. College basketball the ACC/Big East are the most relevant. Texas hoops won't matter if UConn is in the Big XII.

Syracuse/Duke/North Carolina/Louisville hoops are popular in New England outside of CT.

I don't see how uconn adds any revenue for its other members. Let the big 12 stuck it's flag wherever it wants.

Yeah cause the American controls the New England media now. New England doesn't give a chit about college football. College basketball the ACC/Big East are the most relevant. Texas hoops won't matter if UConn is in the Big XII.

Syracuse/Duke/North Carolina/Louisville hoops are popular in New England outside of CT.
If UCONN was playing Texas/Baylor/OKLA/OKST/TCU/KST/WVU in football at Gillette Stadium , there would be a lot of interest across New England and most TV's at bars and restaurants tuned in to it.

If UCONN was playing Texas/Baylor/OKLA/OKST/TCU/KST/WVU in football at Gillette Stadium , there would be a lot of interest across New England and most TV's at bars and restaurants tuned in to it.
No there wouldn't. UConn outside of CT is irrelevant in New England.

I am from RI there isn't a love for UConn outside of CT. Gillete Stadium would be empty as UConn can't even fillup their 40k stadium. Even when they plated Michigan it didn't matter in RI/MA/NH/VT/ME.

UConn is not New England's school.

The Big 12 and SNY already have a prolific presence on cable TV (Fairpoint Communications) in the part of Eastern NY I live in. If the Big 12 grabs UCONN it will indeed "dominate" cable here. We already get tons of "classic" Big 12 football games over multiple channels, not to mention live baseball, basketball (M&W) and volleyball games. I don't watch much of any of this stuff, or the SEC (which is the second most prolific presence on basic cable).

I'm already planning on cutting the cord this fall because I'll have a better chance of catching the Orange. But I know a lot of people who are reluctant to give up cable who might just become casual Huskies fans if UCONN joined the Big 12.

I am from RI there isn't a love for UConn outside of CT. Gillete Stadium would be empty as UConn can't even fillup their 40k stadium. Even when they plated Michigan it didn't matter in RI/MA/NH/VT/ME.

Maybe they should of hired TGD to build a media campaign billing UCONN as New England's team . I half jest . If UCONN were to beat some of those teams , it would gain traction . That is just a supposition on my part , but is that something the ACC wants to risk . That would leave only New York as as ACC dominated in the northeast .

As long as football is king, UConn is never going to be added to the ACC.

Texas, OU and possibly WVU, should do well at UConn, but then UT and OU should draw anywhere they go. The remaining teams do NOT have the following nor the cache to draw unless they are super hot that season. UConn will not be a draw for any of these schools, except maybe in hoops but that does not count as this is a football discussion.

Most of the Big 12 teams do not have large alumni populations on the east coast. It is hard to imagine that UConn would have large alumni populations within the Big 12 footprint.

I do know this is a football discussion but I wouldn't be upset to see them in the ACC for BB. UCONN, Pitt, SU vs Duke, NC, and UL? North vs South, it would be pretty friggin epic. The reality is that I want nothing to do with their baby football program and hope they rot but what a bb conference it would be.

I do know this is a football discussion but I wouldn't be upset to see them in the ACC for BB. UCONN, Pitt, SU vs Duke, NC, and UL? North vs South, it would be pretty friggin epic. The reality is that I want nothing to do with their baby football program and hope they rot but what a bb conference it would be.

As a hoops fan, I agree, it would make for the greatest hoops conference. As a football fan, I simply don't have any interest in them. As the underlying issue is football, UConn adds very little, probably not enough to cover their share of TV rights.

It takes the ratings of 3 good college basketball games to equal the ratings of 1 bad college football game.

Basketball doesn't get the ratings that football does and that is why TV money/ADs come mainly from football. No expansion should be for basketball reasons. This is why UConn is in trouble for Big XII expansion unless they want a Northeast school for footprint. I think Cincinnati/Houston are in and if they go 14 then BYU and UConn sneak in.

Maybe they should of hired TGD to build a media campaign billing UCONN as New England's team . I half jest . If UCONN were to beat some of those teams , it would gain traction . That is just a supposition on my part , but is that something the ACC wants to risk . That would leave only New York as as ACC dominated in the northeast .

No, there would be no traction. No one outside of CT cares about UConn at all. Hell, where I live in CT -- Farifield County -- UConn is not a particularly big deal. The fanbase is largely centered around Hartford and New Haven. Which is fine, that's about 2.5 million people, but it doesn't extend anywhere else in New England, and never will.

The ACC has Boston, and has significant interest in NYC due to SU, Duke, UNC and Notre Dame. That's plenty, it doesn't need UConn at all.

People in MA don't even care about BC, there were more ND fans at Fenway last season than BC fans. I grew up in MA hating BC.

NO ONE in MA cares about UConn. Any fans that haven't interacted with them don't realize the arrogance that drips out of their fanbase. You don't want UConn fans coming to your campus. They're bad people.

If UCONN were to beat some of those teams , it would gain traction .
54855644.jpg

With six states in New England, no one should expect the flagship of one of the states to be the school of the region.

I'm not as interested in UConn being New England's school as I'm interested in the ACC being New England's Conference. I just don't see the ACC getting there without building interest in the ACC in Connecticut which has 25% of the population of New England. I don't see the ACC being able to do it at all without UConn. That's all. Boston College needs so much work in everything other than ice hockey.

The ACC can walk away from New England and let another conference have it, sure. But then what is the strategy of the ACC? I thought it was to build brand in the northeast. But maybe not.

Btstimpy said:
With six states in New England, no one should expect the flagship of one of the states to be the school of the region. I'm not as interested in UConn being New England's school as I'm interested in the ACC being New England's Conference. I just don't see the ACC getting there without building interest in the ACC in Connecticut which has 25% of the population of New England. I don't see the ACC being able to do it at all without UConn. That's all. Boston College needs so much work in everything other than ice hockey. The ACC can walk away from New England and let another conference have it, sure. But then what is the strategy of the ACC? I thought it was to build brand in the northeast. But maybe not.

I think you're overvaluing UCONN and New England at the same time. ND might be a bigger deal for NE/NYC than UCONN.

I think you're overvaluing UCONN and New England at the same time. ND might be a bigger deal for NE/NYC than UCONN.
I think my issue is that I'm valuing more than college football, and that's against the grain. The ACC does a lot of other stuff well, and the ACC Network is certain to showcase more of this other stuff. ACC football is the best its ever been right now. So I wasn't as concerned about a football power.

I understand UConn's role in College Football. They have less than 15 years in FBS. And you're right. In the Northeast for college football there is Notre Dame and Penn State. No one else drives much outside of their living alumni, and no one else packs large stadiums or sends large crowds to bowl games in the entire region, not just New England.

The ACC has a piece of Notre Dame. That carries the water for the ACC somewhat in the fall. But I'm not sure much of New England or the northeast for that matter watches the other Notre Dame sports passionately in the region. The ACC has winter and spring to worry about too. It could be worse though. The ACC could be stuck with Rutgers who doesn't bring football, and they don't bring anything else. I'm glad we passed on that for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom