UConn, SU still talking | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UConn, SU still talking

Enjoy Gampel then. Our teams are not scheduled to meet for the foreseeable future except maybe in Atlantis in 2015 our fanbase has moved on to the ACC and your fanbase has moved on to the American. We wish you well in your future endeavors I heard Providence is interested in playing UConn go ask them.
I like the idea of playing SU in MSG...I also wouldn't mind playing Providence although they unfortunately have beaten us on a somewhat regular basis...In the end though, Gampel is a great bball atmosphere...

I don't know that it ever would have happened either way but there seems to be less of a chance that it would with Calhoun retired. There really isn't the same bite to the game without a JB vs Calhoun thing to go with it.

Kind of in the way that the G'town series was never the same after the elder Thompson retired.

Enjoy Gampel then. Our teams are not scheduled to meet for the foreseeable future except maybe in Atlantis in 2015 our fanbase has moved on to the ACC and your fanbase has moved on to the American. We wish you well in your future endeavors I heard Providence is interested in playing UConn go ask them.

Agree with all of your post except one. I don't wish them well in their future endeavors.

To our UConn friend I hear from Providence friends that the Friars have an opening. Play Providence home/home Syracuse has contracts home/home with the former rivals that matter to the fan base and give us recruiting advantages. If UConn wanted to plays its home games at MSG that would be the carrot to make a series appealing.

Granted I wasn't old enough to enjoy the "height" of SU/GTown rivalry in the 80's (caught on in the mid 90's w/ Moten) But if you asked me who our biggest rival was, I would put U-con over the Hoyas without thinking twice. I mean why else do I (& most of us) despise them so?
Not saying we need to play them, because we don't... But nothing got me more pumped than watching the connvicts squirm in defeat of the Orange!

Granted I wasn't old enough to enjoy the "height" of SU/GTown rivalry in the 80's (caught on in the mid 90's w/ Moten) But if you asked me who our biggest rival was, I would put U-con over the Hoyas without thinking twice. I mean why else do I (& most of us) despise them so?
Not saying we need to play them, because we don't... But nothing got me more pumped than watching the connvicts squirm in defeat of the Orange!
I am 29 years old and while I don't remember the height of the SU-Gtown rivalry they are the historical greatest rival of Syracuse. UConn filled a void because JT Jr. Declined and Escherick was great. UConn was a good team but I never hated them like Gtown. The Big East when they had stupid divisions never had Syracuse and UConn in the same division because SU valued Gtown rivalry. Hating UConn was about hating Calhoun and their fanbase has problems with the fact they are stuck in the American. UConn is a great program but they are part of the past. I am a Red Sox our greatest rival was always be the Yankees but recently we have a lot of problems and a rivalry with the Tampa Rays. Just because the Rays have been bigger rivals recently doesn't make them the Red Sox top rival.
I don't like UConn but I see absolutely no benefit in playing them home/home if they wanted to play MSG in a Jimmy V Classic maybe but not in Connecticut.

The conference schedule includes UNC, Duke, Louisville, Pitt, UVA (some teams possibly twice a year).

The OOC schedule already includes (or will include) G-Town, Nova, St. Johns, and a preseason tournament. Who the hell really cares how else we fill our schedule. Uconn? awesome. No-Uconn, who cares?

I am 29 years old and while I don't remember the height of the SU-Gtown rivalry they are the historical greatest rival of Syracuse. UConn filled a void because JT Jr. Declined and Escherick was great. UConn was a good team but I never hated them like Gtown. The Big East when they had stupid divisions never had Syracuse and UConn in the same division because SU valued Gtown rivalry. Hating UConn was about hating Calhoun and their fanbase has problems with the fact they are stuck in the American. UConn is a great program but they are part of the past. I am a Red Sox our greatest rival was always be the Yankees but recently we have a lot of problems and a rivalry with the Tampa Rays. Just because the Rays have been bigger rivals recently doesn't make them the Red Sox top rival.
I don't like UConn but I see absolutely no benefit in playing them home/home if they wanted to play MSG in a Jimmy V Classic maybe but not in Connecticut.

Just curious. What are your top 5 SU-Georgetown moments from the last couple of decades?

Just curious. What are your top 5 SU-Georgetown moments from the last couple of decades?

I'll tell you the Verizon Center - Melo in OT, GMAC with a 30 footer the following year for the win, the mad 2010 game where GTown had a furious comeback and Kris Joseph finished it, beating them in the last Big East tournament.

We play in a conference with Duke, Carolina, Louisville, UVa, as well as a top tier B1G program, etc...no reason to play a game outside out recruiting footprint to help someone out.

Bayside, I think you're overestimating the significance of how playing a road game in a particular market influences recruiting. Perhaps it's one factor, but another factor is that kids want to play in big-time showcase lead-story-on-Sportscenter games. And that's what Cuse/UConn every year at MSG would be. College hoops is about being entertained and that game would be entertaining as hell with a sold-out 50/50 crowd.

2004 GMAC drops a time on Gtown at the buzzer in DC.
2005 beating Roy Hibbert freshman Georgetown team at the Dome in OT at the buzzer.
2006 beating Georgetown in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament with GMac on fumes trailing the entire game until the last 5 seconds and winning by 1 point. Thus becoming the first team BET history to win when their previous game went into OT.
2007 destroying a Georgetown that went to the Final Four on SU Senior night by 18 points. That Gtown team won 19 of 20 games only loss to SU.
2012 beating Gtown in the Dome with Brent Musberger and Bobby Knight on the call during our 30-1 regular season and the game was a classic with Kris Joseph had a huge game.
2013 Big East tourney semi final after holding us to 39 points the weekend before and JT2 declaring SU over the Cuse beat Gtown in OT to end the Big East portion of the rivalry in proper fashion and Fair postered Gtown's star.

I could give more but I am on phone or would link the YouTube clips from each game.

Bayside and I had a lot of the same games and he and I still had a couple each missed.
UConn is the Rays.
Sox-Yanks is SU-Gtown

2004 GMAC drops a time on Gtown at the buzzer in DC.
2005 beating Roy Hibbert freshman Georgetown team at the Dome in OT at the buzzer.
2006 beating Georgetown in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament with GMac on fumes trailing the entire game until the last 5 seconds and winning by 1 point. Thus becoming the first team BET history to win when their previous game went into OT.
2007 destroying a Georgetown that went to the Final Four on SU Senior night by 18 points. That Gtown team won 19 of 20 games only loss to SU.
2012 beating Gtown in the Dome with Brent Musberger and Bobby Knight on the call during our 30-1 regular season and the game was a classic with Kris Joseph had a huge game.
2013 Big East tourney semi final after holding us to 39 points the weekend before and JT2 declaring SU over the Cuse beat Gtown in OT to end the Big East portion of the rivalry in proper fashion and Fair postered Gtown's star.

I could give more but I am on phone or would link the YouTube clips from each game.

A few more…

1996 - Beating up on Iverson in the Dome
1997 - McNabb comes off the bench and leads us to victory
2008 - We basically have 6 players and knock off a Top 10 G'town team in front of 30K. Paul Harris had a breakaway dunk that almost brought the roof off.

Giggle. Giggle.

UConn doesn't need SU. You live in fantasy land if you think we do.

Call us mid major if you like, just don't forget to say, 4 time NC mid major.
You guys make me laugh. Congratulations. Now let's see how many you will win in the next 15 years. If you win at least one I will give you major props. I just don't see any mid major winning any.

I was born in '92 and I absolutely loathe G'town. I disliked Calhoun but without him I lost a lot of my hate for them. Go to a G'town-SU game in DC and you will feel the hatred in that arena. I've been to UCONN-SU games and that same fire is not there like it is with G'town. UCONN is similar to Louisville to me. I don't like them, but it's not like I despise everything about them and their fan base. Don't get me wrong though, reading the boneyard every month or two and checking out their conference realignment forum is simply pure gold to this day. I still don't hate them though.

My Georgetown hatred is everlasting.

Bayside, I think you're overestimating the significance of how playing a road game in a particular market influences recruiting. Perhaps it's one factor, but another factor is that kids want to play in big-time showcase lead-story-on-Sportscenter games. And that's what Cuse/UConn every year at MSG would be. College hoops is about being entertained and that game would be entertaining as hell with a sold-out 50/50 crowd.

Just putting the gate crasher in his place.

If they can sustain Big East excellence after a few years in the A we will see.

NYC, DC, Philly . . . . . . . .

The idea that playing a game in a town like Philly is going to somehow have a huge affect on our recruiting there is way, way overblown. I think it's 80% BS, but people on here think its important without any facts to support that.

The reason we are playing these games is because they are attractive TV games and we and the networks think we will draw a bigger audience than the alternative

The have televisions in Philadelphia and they watch ACC games played all over.

Well, a lot of folks here just have this thing with UConn. They're a rival who's not a rival who's really a rival.

There's more posts about the UConn relationship than there is about the a NCAA investigation.

Enough said.

Anyone smart enough knows to stay quiet about the NCAA.

There's more posts about the UConn relationship than there is about the a NCAA investigation.

Enough said.
I get your a CT resident and thus enjoy potential UConn games but your point is off a lot. We can't take about the NCAA investigation because nobody knows the actual charges as SU or the NCAA won't comment on them publicly. I get some people want to play UConn but people can agree to disagree. They are an elite program but I think we are better off with Gtown/Nova/St. John's than UConn.
This Husky fan challenged me to name 5 Gtown moments I rattled 6 in manner of minutes and thought of more after. UConn outside of the 6 OT game and 2006 BET is tough for me to remember great moments from the UConn series.
You loved the MetLife games because you felt SU owed NYC fans for lost Big east games but SU has taken care of NYC BB fans.
We will play in Boston EVERY year so PC is replaced with BC.
We played St.John's at MSG last year. We are playing a tournament at MSG this year.
We are playing at Nova for the Philly alumni group.
We are playing Georgetown starting next year.

If CT/NYC fans think we owe them UConn as well then I disagree. If somebody like we know on this board who has given SU more than anybody and is too classy to brag or even make it known asked for UConn games I would and hope Gross would do it. UConn is not Georgetown nor will they ever be hated by me in that vain. UConn fans are WAY more annoying than their program as they behave like we owed them support when we didn't.

Bayside and I had a lot of the same games and he and I still had a couple each missed.
UConn is the Rays.
Sox-Yanks is SU-Gtown

If the Rays had more conference championships, BET championships and 2x World series than Red sox + Yankees, it would be a perfect analogy.

I get your a CT resident and thus enjoy potential UConn games but your point is off a lot. We can't take about the NCAA investigation because nobody knows the actual charges as SU or the NCAA won't comment on them publicly. I get some people want to play UConn but people can agree to disagree. They are an elite program but I think we are better off with Gtown/Nova/St. John's than UConn.
This Husky fan challenged me to name 5 Gtown moments I rattled 6 in manner of minutes and thought of more after. UConn outside of the 6 OT game and 2006 BET is tough for me to remember great moments from the UConn series.
You loved the MetLife games because you felt SU owed NYC fans for lost Big east games but SU has taken care of NYC BB fans.
We will play in Boston EVERY year so PC is replaced with BC.
We played St.John's at MSG last year. We are playing a tournament at MSG this year.
We are playing at Nova for the Philly alumni group.
We are playing Georgetown starting next year.

If CT/NYC fans think we owe them UConn as well then I disagree. If somebody like we know on this board who has given SU more than anybody and is too classy to brag or even make it known asked for UConn games I would and hope Gross would do it. UConn is not Georgetown nor will they ever be hated by me in that vain. UConn fans are WAY more annoying than their program as they behave like we owed them support when we didn't.

If its not mutal, than I guess it doesn't mean as much. I always saw the SU game as a bit bigger.

PC and UCONN have a pretty good rivalry so I hope we get them on the schedule.

Truth is, UConn's most important/meaningful games in the past 15 years have been against Duke and KY.

Last edited:
If the Rays had more confernc

If its not mutal, than I guess it doesn't mean as much. I always saw the SU game as a bit bigger.

PC and UCONN have a pretty good rivalry so I hope we get them on the schedule.

Truth is, UConn's most important/meaningful games in the past 15 years have been against Duke and KY.

Then go ask them for games. We have 2 with Duke a season, it's pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom