UCONN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN

It was a nice win. Not knocking it. But is Houston #19 if they're in a real conference? No. That's my point. And that they lost to uconn confirms it

Maybe if Houston played an ACC team like Louisville we could get an idea how good they are.

UConn is a top 20 program in hoops for the foreseeable future.

And with Diaco, football has a bright future.

I also think they'll join a big boy conference during the next wave.

I started this thread to show how things can change with a new staff and a adeqate coach not to compare the programs. No matter how bad things look it can turn around quickly with the right staff but some of us sound like rutgers fans. lol We suck but we are better than you because of our conference affiliation and they are saying yeah but you guys are at the bottom of the ACC.

PoppyHart said:
Maybe if Houston played an ACC team like Louisville we could get an idea how good they are.

That's a perfect comp. they struggled to win vs a mediocre ACC team.

I don't get the logic. I know you limited your comparison to us vs. them, but most try to generalize and under-appreciate non "power" teams.

If you were to look at everyone's (i.e. top 100 programs) future in CBB and rank them, where would you put Gonzaga's future?

Now where would you put a 4 time national champion's future?

CBB is a TOTALLY different animal than CFB.

Gonzaga is an established brand. They do well. They aren't generally legitimate NC contenders, as last year's NCAA performance demonstrated.

I put a 4 time NC's future as in the same boat as Gonzaga now. They will never win another one.

Which conference? Doubtful.

RF2044 said:
CBB is a TOTALLY different animal than CFB. Gonzaga is an established brand. They do well. They aren't generally legitimate NC contenders, as last year's NCAA performance demonstrated. I put a 4 time NC's future as in the same boat as Gonzaga now. They will never win another one.

I'm no UConn fan, but I definitely see them winning another NC.

I think this year's team has Final 4 potential.

CBB is a TOTALLY different animal than CFB.

Gonzaga is an established brand. They do well. They aren't generally legitimate NC contenders, as last year's NCAA performance demonstrated.

I put a 4 time NC's future as in the same boat as Gonzaga now. They will never win another one.

They've been top-4 seeds 6 of the last 12 years. I'd call that being national contenders.

Houston was the worst 10-0 team I've ever seen.
This is unbelievable.
This Houston team went into Louisville and won. They beat Memphis, they beat Vanderbilt.

Houston lost to UConn they still control their destiny for a NYS bowl. They play Navy next week at home.

This Houston team was not a bad 10-0 team. They aren't the worse Houston team to go 10-0. The 2011 Houston team led by Kevin Sumlin was worse. and they finished 13-1.

They've been top-4 seeds 6 of the last 12 years. I'd call that being national contenders.

And yet...

How'd they perform in the NCAA?

Poppy, I'm not knocking Gonzaga, I just think that they fatten up on poor quality conference competition, but aren't legitimately going to contend. I'm not knocking them; last year's team had that huge frontcourt, but even with Pangos they were limited compared to the top teams.

I'm no UConn fan, but I definitely see them winning another NC.

I think this year's team has Final 4 potential.

I don't.

And I think the semi-decline will be more evident with each passing year. They're treading water with transfers at this point. They have a great history and a good program. I'm sure they can remain in the top 20, like many smaller conference teams do. But their days of playing NC ball are likely over.

And yet...

How'd they perform in the NCAA?

I'm not knocking Gonzaga, I just think that they fatten up on poor quality conference competition, but aren't legitimately going to contend. I'm not knocking them; last year's team had that huge frontcourt, but even with Pangos they were limited compared to the top teams.

They lost in the elite 8. What is the benchmark? I guess we were not legitimate NC contenders except for 2003 and 2013?

Alsacs said:
This is unbelievable. This Houston team went into Louisville and won. They beat Memphis, they beat Vanderbilt. Houston lost to UConn they still control their destiny for a NYS bowl. They play Navy next week at home. This Houston team was not a bad 10-0 team. They aren't the worse Houston team to go 10-0. The 2011 Houston team led by Kevin Sumlin was worse. and they finished 13-1.

I just wasn't impressed. They were held to 3 points for almost 3 quarters against a mediocre UConn team.

An unbeaten, ranked team shouldn't struggle against UConn.

They lost in the elite 8. What is the benchmark? I guess we were not legitimate NC contenders except for 2003 and 2013?

Did you watch that game? I did. They had a fantastic year. They deserved their seeding. But when the rubber hit the road, they weren't as good as that seeding.

We weren't a legitimate NC contender in 2010 or 2013 either, due to key personnel being out when we hit the NCAA tournament. Didn't mean we didn't deserve the #1 seedings we had.

Big win... their bball team is also going to be real solid this year. Much better outlook than ours, imo.

But...they're irrelevant, right?
You think having 6 wins in the American is relevant? It's not. Houston isn't relevant. Temple isn't relevant. It takes time. We didn't crash over night. If they don't get to a power conference, they are doomed. It's all about money and exposure. everything else is blue smoke and mirrors.

Their BB is fine.

However your assessment of FB is laughable. Congrats should be given to their FB team but they aren't on the rise. They beat UCF, Tulane, ECU, and had a great win against Houston.

My god you are slurping UConn FB if you think they have a bright future. If Diaco proves he can coach he will be gone as they can't pay if he proves he can coach. Their FB is the probably the 3rd best in their division.

What big boy conference is expanding? The Big Ten isn't adding UConn. The Big XII isn't adding them. The ACC is not expanding.

They can think they will be in a big boy conference but the expansion bubble has popped. ESPN has shown that people are cutting the cable cord. Thus, the value of networks has reached its peak. If people are getting rid of cable the TV revenue from expansion has hit its apex.

UConn is screwed because of that. The ACC can't get its network off the ground because ESPN is cutting costs back and the Big Ten won't add CT because the state doesn't add enough revenue to feed another mouth. If the Big Ten expand it will involve Oklahoma or Texas.

Did you watch that game? I did. They had a fantastic year. They deserved their seeding. But when the rubber hit the road, they weren't as good as that seeding.

We weren't a legitimate NC contender in 2010 or 2013 either, due to key personnel being out when we hit the NCAA tournament. Didn't mean we didn't deserve the #1 seedings we had.

Right, so MOST teams are not regular title contenders.

Just think it's foolish to think that UCONN is in a downturn, or that just by being in the ACC we are in a position of superiority.

UCONN's recruiting doesn't appear to hurting them now. Why would it change in the coming years?

I just wasn't impressed. They were held to 3 points for almost 3 quarters against a mediocre UConn team.

That's silly, ranked teams lose to lesser teams all the time. That's why games are played.

Their BB is fine.

However your assestment of FB is laughable. Congrats should be given to their FB team but they aren't on the rise. They beat UCF, Tulane, ECU, and had a great win against Houston.

My god you are slurping UConn FB if you think they have a bright future. If Diaco proves he can coach he will be gone as they can't pay if he proves he can coach. Their FB is the probably the 3rd best in their division.

What big boy conference is expanding? The Big Ten isn't adding UConn. The Big XII isn't adding them. The ACC is not expanding.

They can think they will be in a big boy conference but the expansion bubble has popped. ESPN has shown that people are cutting the cable cord. Thus, the value of networks has reached its peak. If people are getting rid of cable the TV revenue from expansion has hit its apex.

UConn is screwed because of that. The ACC can't get its network off the ground because ESPN is cutting costs back and the Big Ten won't add CT because the state doesn't add enough revenue to feed another mouth. If the Big Ten expand it will involve Oklahoma or Texas.
Exactly. There is a reason that they didn't make the cut the first time around. If anything, they are in worse shape now. The talk if there is a next wave, and there probably won't be for a very long time, if ever, is Cinn.,

I agree with this. Houston had a golden opportunity. They stubbed their toe. You have zero margin for error when you are a minor conference team. They blew it relative to how this year could have unfolded for them, what the bowl implications might have been, etc.

And all that said, they still had a great year under a first year head coach. Future looks bright for them. But when you lose to a uconn, that tarnishes the bloom on the rose of an otherwise great season.

Just think it's foolish to think that UCONN is in a downturn, or that just by being in the ACC we are in a position of superiority.

UCONN's recruiting doesn't appear to hurting them now. Why would it change in the coming years?
once again, it's about money and exposure. Playing in that crap league, they will get less and less. It doesn't happen over night. It's a slow decent in to hell.

RF2044 said:
I don't. And I think the semi-decline will be more evident with each passing year. They're treading water with transfers at this point. They have a great history and a good program. I'm sure they can remain in the top 20, like many smaller conference teams do. But their days of playing NC ball are likely over.

I think semi-decline is more likely to happen at SU as JB slips into retirement. Four to five teams in the ACC are already attracting better classes each year. Maybe Hopkins keeps us on course, but that remains to be seen.

I think semi-decline is more likely to happen at SU as JB slips into retirement. Four to five teams in the ACC are already attracting better classes each year. Maybe Hopkins keeps us on course, but that remains to be seen.
We have gone on up and down runs for 40 years. We will be just fine in hoops. Football, that may be another story. But we thought that before '87 and went on a nice 15 year run. Syracuse football has always been boom bust.

Being in the ACC grants us access to financial resources that uconn doesn't have. So, from that standpoint we are in a superior position. Our issue is related to the current roster / scholarship limitations. Once that is unshackled, I wouldn't trade our position for theirs.

Like I said, I see them being a solid top 20 team. But there's a big difference between that and NC contention.

And yes, I think that MOST teams are NOT title contenders.

That could very well be the case. Because as history has demonstrated, replacing iconic, successful coaches isn't easy and rarely goes well. See: Indiana and Georgetown. Hell, even see: UNC. There very well could be a "decline" after JB, because Hop is totally unproven. I'll grant you that.

In terms of recruiting, I think you are wrong. What is our class of 2016 rated? We're doing fine on that front. Duke is an animal. We have never and likely will never live up to that benchmark. Doesn't mean we can't be successful as hell recruiting to system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom