UCONN | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN

I'm sure they can remain in the top 20, like many smaller conference teams do. But their days of playing NC ball are likely over.

RF my friend, this just doesn't make sense. To say that "they can remain in the Top 20" and "their days of playing NC ball are likely over" are directly contradictory statements. 4/5 seeds make deep runs to the Final Four virtually every single year.

In today's college basketball landscape with so much parity, if you are a Top 20 (or even a Top 30) program (which UConn is), then you are definitely a national title contender.

Last edited:
Year three in the American and they have a top five class for next year.

Irrelevant program tho.

Year three in the American and they have a top five class for next year.

Irrelevant program tho.
They are just as irrelevant as SU FB nationally. Give them credit for winning 6 games. I think they will be favored when we play them next year. It was part of the reason I wanted a HC change. I saw that that What loss coming a mile away.

They aren't going to be able to recruit as well P5 teams. UCF/USF/Cincinnati will recruit better them in their own division.
ECU is going to be a lot better next year they lost a lot. Now Temple once Rhule goes will fall back
Navy/Tulsa/Houston/Memphis/SMU/Tulane are not their worries.
UConn FB is not our concern. They will not win 8 games consistently unless they schedule 4 patsies every year which they can't because their FB TV money won't be enough.

Yeah, were in a better position to get this fixed...but if we don't I'm not going to take much solace in going 3-9/4-8 ...but in a better conference!
I agree with this

Can we just all step into the sphere of reality and agree on the following?

1. UConn basketball isn't going anywhere. We made stuff up about their irrelevance two years ago to make ourselves feel good, and karma slapped us in the face for it. They could easily go to another Final Four very soon.

2. UConn football is blah, much like SU football. The fact that we won a national title during the Eisenhower Administration and they didn't doesn't have anything to do with the fact that both our programs are pretty much locked into mediocrity going forward.

3. We hate them and they're douches.

FWIW, I was at the XL Center this past weekend and they have the banners of all of UConn's AAC opponents hanging from then rafters. It's sad really, I can't imagine being stuck in a conference where your marquee games are against Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and Memphis. But their hoops program will be fine. They can schedule premiere teams OOC to offset the dreck in conference.

Football is a different matter.

1. UConn basketball isn't going anywhere. We made stuff up about their irrelevance two years ago to make ourselves feel good, and karma slapped us in the face for it. They could easily go to another Final Four very soon.

2. UConn football is blah, much like SU football. The fact that we won a national title during the Eisenhower Administration and they didn't doesn't have anything to do with the fact that both our programs are pretty much locked into mediocrity going forward.

Spot on. Their hoops is legit, and has been better than ours in totality, over the last 15 years. Football got the gift of a donor that should have been ours. Our football stinks right now, so that's all I'll say about that.

They have also won a ton of National Titles in Olympic Sports. Women's Hoops, FH, etc. They aren't Rutgers. I know some don't care about that stuff, but I think it shows a competent AD.

Eric15 said:
Can we just all step into the sphere of reality and agree on the following? 1. UConn basketball isn't going anywhere. We made stuff up about their irrelevance two years ago to make ourselves feel good, and karma slapped us in the face for it. They could easily go to another Final Four very soon. 2. UConn football is blah, much like SU football. The fact that we won a national title during the Eisenhower Administration and they didn't doesn't have anything to do with the fact that both our programs are pretty much locked into mediocrity going forward. 3. We hate them and they're douches.

Agree with 1 and 3.

As for #2, P5 means more in football. The dividing line is less fuzzy than basketball where you can compete with less resources and the playoff system is kind to all comers.

I agree with #1 and #3.

Number toe I disagree with you 100%. Nobody excepts us to win a NC in FB being in a P5 matters bigtime.
UConn's lack of FB history hurt them in conference realignment. They won't get the same level of recruits bottom P5 teams will get.
We have a way better shot at a NYS bowl they do.

I agree with #1 and #3.

Number toe I disagree with you 100%. Nobody excepts us to win a NC in FB being in a P5 matters bigtime.
UConn's lack of FB history hurt them in conference realignment. They won't get the same level of recruits bottom P5 teams will get.

I personally would be very surprised if UConn wasn't in a P5 conference within the next 5-10 years.

I agree with #1 and #3.

Cool. They're going to a bowl game. We're going 3-9 and 3-8 in back to back years. So while what your saying about NYS Bowls is true in theory, I'm going to just going to chill with the whole "sh&tting on Uconns athletics."

docsu said:
Cool. They're going to a bowl game. We're going 3-9 and 3-8 in back to back years. So while what your saying about NYS Bowls is true in theory, I'm going to just going to chill with the whole "sh&tting on Uconns athletics."

There's a space between "sh&tting on UCONN" and preferring our future over theirs.

There's a space between "sh&tting on UCONN" and preferring our future over theirs.

Yeah, but some of the responses in this thread seem to be leaning more to the former than the latter.

I mean, yeah, we have a better shot in theory at a NYS/Playoff spot than they do. I'm not debating that. But we've won six games in two years. two against P5 teams. We're so f@#$ing far away from that it's laughable.

Uconn will use our failure to win over recruits. We obviously have the better future in the better conference. Their pitch will be " do you want to lose in a better conference or win and have a chance to be champions of another conference"? We will get the recruits who want to play the FSU's, Clemson's and Miami's but there will also be prospects who will actually want to stay with a school where they can play and compete for a title. I am definitely not worried about Uconn football. Their basketball team will continue their tradition but I can eventually see a fall back with that program as well.

I agree I don't really chit on them. I just commented on the fact their FB future is bleak. Their BB is elite and will remain elite for the foreseeable future.

I personally would be very surprised if UConn wasn't in a P5 conference within the next 5-10 years.
I love to hear your theory about future conference expansion?

Expansion up till now has been about dollars. Those dollars are drying up like the internet bubble in the 90's. No conference is expanding without an increase in TV money via a network or renegotiated TV deal.

SEC expanded for new markets for a TV Network.
Big Ten expanded for new markets for a TV Network.
Pac-12 expanded for new markets for a TV Network.
ACC expanded to renegotiate an under the market TV deal.

What conference is going to add UConn in the next 5-10 years?

RF my friend, this just doesn't make sense. To say that "they can remain in the Top 20" and "their days of playing NC ball are likely over" are directly contradictory statements. 4/5 seeds make deep runs to the Final Four virtually every single year.

In today's college basketball landscape with so much parity, if you are a Top 20 (or even a Top 30) program (which UConn is), then you are definitely a national title contender.

I don't want to split hairs about what everyone means by "national title contender," but generally speaking the vast majority of top 25 teams don't have what it takes to win it all. Doesn't mean that they aren't quality teams, doesn't mean that there aren't outliers. Doesn't change my point.

UConn FB is nothing. It will never be anything. Syracuse/BC have history UConn will never attain and Rutgers has the better HS recruiting ground.

The Northeast doesn't have a lot of talent thus conference affiliation matters. The difference between BC/SU and UConn is that BC/SU are at the bottom of the conference right now while UConn has 3-5 teams below them. Thus by scheduling 2 easy OOC games a year, beating those dregs in their own conference they only need 1 upset or peer school win to get to a bowl.

Syracuse/BC need to schedule 3 OOC wins, beat one another and then beat 2-3 peer school or upsets to get to a bowl.

Recruits outside of CT will not pick a G6 school like UConn over a P5 school like BC/SU. They will get instate kids but their FB program is enhanced MAC program while RU/BC/SU because of their schedules have way more potential.

Nobody should say anything about their BB program. They could be in the Patriot League and its still elite. As teams will always play them in OOC. We can't talk smack about their BB we can bust balls but they will be fine.

From a recruiting perspective, all uconn can do is pick up BC (mostly) and Cuses scraps. Kids from the state with real options, aren't picking Uconn 99% of the time (and let's be honest, the one guy who picked UC with "legit" offers, Jay Rose, realistically wasn't good enough to play QB at either BC or Cuse so I imagine both schools had majorly cooled on him with much better commits already on board).

Outside of barely beating Houston's backup QB, look who they beat. Barely beat Army and had close game with Nova. UCF is the worst team in country and Tulane isn't far behind. ECU is not the team of old and in a transition year.

As for the basketball thing, it will stop. Ollie has still yet to prove he can win with his recruits. Give it time, Memphis is a great comp, these things slowly come to an end.

As for the basketball thing, it will stop. Ollie has still yet to prove he can win with his recruits. Give it time, Memphis is a great comp, these things slowly come to an end.

Memphis has been to the tournament 7 out of the past 10 seasons (same as us).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom