UNC receives a new notice of allegations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNC receives a new notice of allegations

If Joe Student can take the same classes as athletes it's sorta out of the NCAA purview of a special benefit. This was coming from a mile away.
Then SU needs to load up the course catalog with bogus courses.

That, or a rich alum needs to offer $20k a year to every student in a particular major, and funnel the athletes to that major.

Anyone else feel like this was the "best" outcome that could have happened? First of all, from a selfish perspective, it gives us grounds to seek a reduction in our penalties.

Second, I think the public outcry from both the sports media and the public against the NCAA and their sham of enforcement.

RF2044 said:
Anyone else feel like this was the "best" outcome that could have happened? First of all, from a selfish perspective, it gives us grounds to seek a reduction in our penalties. Second, I think the public outcry from both the sports media and the public against the NCAA and their sham of enforcement.

It's not the right outcome but it's certainly the best outcome for Syracuse.

The Carolina Way
th

It's not the right outcome but it's certainly the best outcome for Syracuse.

Agreed. If feels unsavory as hell, it shows how out of whack the NCAA's priorities are, and it is a clear sign of how situationally they enforce the rules. But for us, no question--it is a good thing that the NCAA showed their true colors.

Anyone else feel like this was the "best" outcome that could have happened? First of all, from a selfish perspective, it gives us grounds to seek a reduction in our penalties.

Second, I think the public outcry from both the sports media and the public against the NCAA and their sham of enforcement.
A second appeals process is allowed?

A second appeals process is allowed?

No. Legal recourse, based upon the NCAA's lack of precedence, disparate enforcement / magnitude of penalties, etc.

I'm guessing that Chancellor Syverud will take the appropriate actions now that the NCAA has shot themselves in the foot to ensure that the University's interests are protected.

Last edited:
The issue of 'open to everyone' is moot. The credits do not count. The athletes that took most of these classes were ineligible players. The college accrediting agency supervising North Carolina and all the SE schools, officially decertified the classes.g

The issue is no longer 'impermissable benefits'. The issue is 'ineligible players'.

Interesting, except for the fact that NOTHING you just posted is true. Both UNC and SACS have stated that the class credits DO count. That means everything else you posted is just noise, nonsense.

interesting that Bilas hasn't commented yet. I hope it's because he's going to be coming out with guns blazing on the hypocrisy of it all.

Bilas has commented all day, telling everyone that the NCAA got it right. Go read his twitter TL.

Interesting, except for the fact that NOTHING you just posted is true. Both UNC and SACS have stated that the class credits DO count. That means everything else you posted is just noise, nonsense.
Glad to hear the credits count. Would hate for all that hard work they put in go for naught.

Shouldn't you be celebrating your good fortune on your own board?

Glad to hear the credits count. Would hate for all that hard work they put in go for naught.

As Jay Bilas pointed out, there is a difference between "Easy" and "Fraudulent". Work was turned in in said classes. Our sins were purely on the academic sidie.

BTW, I am not even saying SU got treated fairly, but hating on UNC won't change anything that happened in your case.

If Joe Student can take the same classes as athletes it's sorta out of the NCAA purview of a special benefit. This was coming from a mile away.
But that's not what the ncaa said. They just said men's bball and football were not part of the lack of control.

As Jay Bilas pointed out, there is a difference between "Easy" and "Fraudulent". Work was turned in in said classes. Our sins were purely on the academic sidie.

BTW, I am not even saying SU got treated fairly, but hating on UNC won't change anything that happened in your case.
You can say that again. Oh wait . . .

As Jay Bilas pointed out, there is a difference between "Easy" and "Fraudulent". Work was turned in in said classes. Our sins were purely on the academic sidie..

Nice quality education being doled out . I'd be embarrassed to say I have a degree from UNC

Bilas has commented all day, telling everyone that the NCAA got it right. Go read his twitter TL.
well gotta love twitter because none of it appeared in my feed. I understand what he's saying but it's still a crock of shiet. Apparently as long as you are a cash cow for the NCAA everything is AOK. Funny that UNC was able to cover their asses with this as I'm sure it was in their scheme all along. UNC alumni must be so proud

well gotta love twitter because none of it appeared in my feed. I understand what he's saying but it's still a crock of shiet. Apparently as long as you are a cash cow for the NCAA everything is AOK. Funny that UNC was able to cover their asses with this as I'm sure it was in their scheme all along. UNC alumni must be so proud

Its not even this investigation that bothers me, what bothers me is how the Ncaa picks and chooses what programs they are going to to punish, they are so full of stuff.

Homer,
Read this, or have someone read it to you
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article16916549.html
The credits do not count. Therefore, the athletes were ineligible. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges made UNC agree to offer additional courses to make the students from 1997 to 2009 whole. Tell me why your school was put on academic probation if the courses were good.

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ar-heels-latest-ncaa-news-tough-make-sense-of

Dana O'Neil with a good article that fails to make front page of ESPN. Basically laying out what we all know...that the NCAA is using a technicality to allow UNC's money sports to escape. Explaining that according to the NCAA, as long as everyone is allowed to commit academic fraud, it's a-okay.

"So, using the letter of the law then, the NCAA has had a hard time turning this into an extra-benefits case. But why shouldn't this be an NCAA issue? This goes to academic integrity and ethics, which should be the very pillars of a collegiate governing body."

I fail to see why anyone is surprised. I've prepared myself for UNC bball getting basically nothing. In the big picture this is good for the ACC & SU. I hope our lawyers get us all our wins back to go with the $25 + million.
srlsly - not that I'm proud of it or want to beat my chest about it, but I've been adamant form the get-go that Roy and mens hoops will skate. and the thing the NCAA came out with a few weeks ago, about how they would really have to figure out an approach to academic fraud cases, was such a clear preemptive move that I can't believe more people couldn't see it for what it was.
I was always kind of astonished that so many otherwise astute posters on here had themselves convinced that the ncaa would bring the hammer down on unc. it was just never going to happen.

So had we committed this exact same form of fraud would we have been treated differently ?

Homer,
Read this, or have someone read it to you
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article16916549.html
The credits do not count. Therefore, the athletes were ineligible. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges made UNC agree to offer additional courses to make the students from 1997 to 2009 whole. Tell me why your school was put on academic probation if the courses were good.

Yeah, the N&O is the mouthpiece for the NC State AD. Believing ANYTHING they print is hazardous. Again, the credits count, but you can go on believing whatever you want to believe.

As far as allowing students to take additional courses, in the small subset of AFAM classes that were the problem, was done at the behest of lawyers. So that anyone, in one of the select classes, could come back and take another class free of charge. As far as I know, no one has taken UNC up on that. Like ANYONE would volunteer to go take a class over. BTW, if you say you never took a single skate class in college, I am calling BS on that.

Yeah, the N&O is the mouthpiece for the NC State AD. Believing ANYTHING they print is hazardous. Again, the credits count, but you can go on believing whatever you want to believe.

As far as allowing students to take additional courses, in the small subset of AFAM classes that were the problem, was done at the behest of lawyers. So that anyone, in one of the select classes, could come back and take another class free of charge. As far as I know, no one has taken UNC up on that. Like ANYONE would volunteer to go take a class over. BTW, if you say you never took a single skate class in college, I am calling BS on that.
Ah, it's the media. Got it.

I understand you are a fan of UNC but in all honesty do you really believe that this is the right outcome with everything that has happened with the NCAA over the past few years? I live in NC and I know plenty of UNC fans and would like to hear your angle.

Last edited:

No. That's not what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom