UNC receives a new notice of allegations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UNC receives a new notice of allegations

UNC Blue said:
BTW, if you say you never took a single skate class in college, I am calling BS on that.
I can honestly say that I never took a skate class in either undergrad or my masters program. I will acknowledge that they exist at every school, however. But he classes in question at UNC pushed the boundaries, hence the uproar.

Guys, just admit it, they are better and smarter at cheating than we were. That is all. If you are going to cheat, you really need to go big or go home.

It was actually the fake UNC classes that allowed President Bush to win the 2000 election.

Guys, just admit it, they are better and smarter at cheating than we were. That is all. If you are going to cheat, you really need to go big or go home.

At the end of the day, that seems to be the message from the NCAA.

Oh, and don't self-disclose anything.

Duke is next with their drama classes. Those guys really know how to make a convincing flop on the court. It has to be something they are teaching at the University.

The situation to watch now is at Ole Miss. They've been like the wild west for awhile now, especially since Hugh Freeze took over the football program, and NCAA is circling. I've heard quite a few stories that I put a good amount of weight in that they've been reckless. I read one big time asst football coach said the 30 for 30 on OM would put the SMU story to shame. I heard from the source directly another coach say every school goes 75 in a 65, OM is going 70 in a 30 with a beer cracked open in the cup holder. For pure entertainment value I hope a 30 for 30 is made that highlights the stuff going on behind the scenes there.

Pretty telling OM has had the NOA for over 3 months now and refuses to release it to the public and just asked for an extension on releasing it. They've ignored FOI requests too by finding a new loop hole where if you hire an external lawyer out of state, in their case Alabama, then they can simply shrug and say sorry we'd love to give it to you but we don't have it in our possession.

Mind you NCAA only turned up the heat once Bama, Michigan, Ohio St, Texas, etc. started calling the NCAA that Ole Miss was out of control. If NCAA doesn't come down on OM hard then it will basically be announcing to every big time football program that the rules no longer matter and NCAA is toothless. This is a lay up for NCAA, they'll hammer OM and make an example of their power while making all the big guys at the table happy in the process.

UNC Blue said:
Interesting, except for the fact that NOTHING you just posted is true. Both UNC and SACS have stated that the class credits DO count. That means everything else you posted is just noise, nonsense.

This reminds me of Peterno's pals after their ugly mess got "cleaned up."

As Jay Bilas pointed out, there is a difference between "Easy" and "Fraudulent". Work was turned in in said classes. Our sins were purely on the academic sidie.

BTW, I am not even saying SU got treated fairly, but hating on UNC won't change anything that happened in your case.

No, but don't try to apply for a job with me. I'll laugh in your face once I see where the degree is from.

jimsonjunction said:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ar-heels-latest-ncaa-news-tough-make-sense-of Dana O'Neil with a good article that fails to make front page of ESPN. Basically laying out what we all know...that the NCAA is using a technicality to allow UNC's money sports to escape. Explaining that according to the NCAA, as long as everyone is allowed to commit academic fraud, it's a-okay. "So, using the letter of the law then, the NCAA has had a hard time turning this into an extra-benefits case. But why shouldn't this be an NCAA issue? This goes to academic integrity and ethics, which should be the very pillars of a collegiate governing body."

The NCAA just basically sanctioned this type of academic fraud. "Too big to fail".

Anyone else feel like this was the "best" outcome that could have happened? First of all, from a selfish perspective, it gives us grounds to seek a reduction in our penalties.

Second, I think the public outcry from both the sports media and the public against the NCAA and their sham of enforcement.

Do you have any faith SU will actually defend itself here? I don't.

No, but don't try to apply for a job with me. I'll laugh in your face once I see where the degree is from.

I don't think we are in much of a position to cast stones. UNC is ranked about 30 spots ahead of us and has an acceptance rate that is 20% lower. If you really want to punish some newly graduated kid for aberrant classes in one major that ended years before he even left for college just to satiate some sort of desire to feel vindicated over some athletic victories that probably shouldn't have happened...well, that says more about you than it does about anyone else.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...es/rankings/national-universities/data/page+2

You can take fake African History classes.

You just can't take History classes in Africa.

Everyone got an A just for registering. Their argument why it isn't a violation is because both athletes and non-athletes benefited from the fake classes. And since this is an institutional issue it's not a athletic issue. If you are going to cheat you have to go BIG!

If only Louisville had made hookers available to roughly the same number of non-athletes.

They may use that! The hookers were always there and available to all students. So it's an institutional issue not an athletic issue.

Except these aren't myths. This is reality. The NCAA said UNC allows all of their students to take fake classes, and that is part of their curriculum.

That's really an amazing defense. Since the academic eligibility crosses university boundaries I believe this clearly is an NCAA violation of enormous magnitude.

"Teams in Division I are also subject to the Academic Progress Rate (APR), a standard that measures a team’s academic progress by assigning points to each individual student-athlete for eligibility and retention/graduation."

That's really an amazing defense. Since the academic eligibility crosses university boundaries I believe this clearly is an NCAA violation of enormous magnitude.

"Teams in Division I are also subject to the Academic Progress Rate (APR), a standard that measures a team’s academic progress by assigning points to each individual student-athlete for eligibility and retention/graduation."

The sports aspect of this is just a part of it. In reality their Accredidation should be revoked.

I've also been preparing for this, but honestly I still can't believe it. The NCAA must have 10 pound brass balls to just say "F it...we'll let em off." And I won't hold my breath waiting for the them to rectify our punishment and make sure we're all square. In fact, they'll probably fight us tooth and nail in court, IF we even take it that far. The damage is done. We got the short end of the stick. Eventually I'll get over it.

Side Note: It will be interesting to see which college hoops sportswriters are worth their salt...who draws the comparisons between programs and punishment...who ignores the inconsistencies...who holds the NCAA's feet to the fire as much as they can.
I'm guessing it won't be Pat Forde

I think what we have learned is you need a fall guy, somebody to blame the transgressions on. In this case it's women's basketball.

WatsonHall said:
I don't think we are in much of a position to cast stones. UNC is ranked about 30 spots ahead of us and has an acceptance rate that is 20% lower. If you really want to punish some newly graduated kid for aberrant classes in one major that ended years before he even left for college just to satiate some sort of desire to feel vindicated over some athletic victories that probably shouldn't have happened...well, that says more about you than it does about anyone else. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...es/rankings/national-universities/data/page+2

Nice try. You're as disgraceful as your school. Banned under 3 handles. Get a life.

Honestly the leadership in all most every sporting organization is utter garbage and it disgusts me sometimes to like sports.

FIFA, IOC, NFL, NCAA all of these organizations are freaking led by bad, corrupt, selfish , aholes.

Roger Goodell and Mark Emmert basically lie every time they speak publicly and rely on the stupidity of their consumers to get away with it.

How UNC men's basketball is going to get away with basically destroying their women's basketball program, and costing its football team maybe 1 bowl season and scholarships is a bleeping joke.

We lost 1 basketball postseason, 8 scholarships, B.J Johnson and Ron Patterson because Fab Melo had help on 1 paper, we had 2 players get paid by the YMCA and we didn't call mommy and daddy when players failed marijuana drug tests.

What a joke meanwhile Troy Smith can get paid for a no show summer job at Ohio State and all he got suspended for was 2 games.

The NCAA just sucks as an organization. It is so corrupt.

I think what we have learned is you need a fall guy, somebody to blame the transgressions on. In this case it's women's basketball.
imagesJJDZ0DJP.jpg

Interestingly, when the NCAA was here investigating for 8 years or whatever, one of the things they took a look at was SU's Child and Family Studies program. They were concerned that a number of athletes were enrolled there. Not to rehash the bs, they found this was an accredited program that offered real courses and degrees and eventually gave up trying to make an issue of it. The fact they were so invested in examining the program tells me they would have nailed us to the wall if the UNC stuff was happening here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom