USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 102 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

It was never much of a series. It's more of a big brother/little brother over-hyped Rutgers game. Oklahoma leads the series 90-19-7. Other than being played annually for a long time and being close proximity, it was not really a big game.

While I prefer regional conferences, that ship has sailed. There should be no more sacred rivalries, except the academies.
Agree with the brother analogy. I think once OSU started getting Pickens' money it became more fun.

I will miss it, though much happier with OU to the SEC. The Red River Shootout is sacred and will always be for both fanbases.

There are reports that Amazon Prime is interested in B1G football for its Prime Video but Amazon wants B1G to expand more by adding Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. I think after another PAC12 raid, Big12 can easily scoop up PAC12 leftovers Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona St. That leaves Washington St and Oregon St heading to Mountain West. In the end, college football will be stabilized at P4: B1G(20), SEC(16), Big10(16) and ACC(14). In this configuration, ACC will be the weakest of P4. So there is a possiblity that ACC adds West Virginia and Cincinnati while ACC still seems to be more attractive to both schools, saving them tons of money on traveling expenses. Then Big10 shall replace them with USF and Memphis. Then ACC(16) and Big12(16) are about equal in football power.

There are reports that Amazon Prime is interested in B1G football for its Prime Video but Amazon wants B1G to expand more by adding Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. I think after another PAC12 raid, Big12 can easily scoop up PAC12 leftovers Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona St. That leaves Washington St and Oregon St heading to Mountain West. In the end, college football will be stabilized at P4: B1G(20), SEC(16), Big10(16) and ACC(14). In this configuration, ACC will be the weakest of P4. So there is a possiblity that ACC adds West Virginia and Cincinnati while ACC still seems to be more attractive to both schools, saving them tons of money on traveling expenses. Then Big10 shall replace them with USF and Memphis. Then ACC(16) and Big12(16) are about equal in football power.

But the B1G just signed their new billion dollar TV deal and Prime Video isn’t part of it—though there was reportedly interest.

But the B1G just signed their new billion dollar TV deal and Prime Video isn’t part of it—though there was reportedly interest.
The rumor is that NBC, Fox and Amazon will make a fat check to B1G then the three will share B1G. CBS will still own SEC and ABC/ESPN will still own ACC. ABC and Fox co-own Big12. Most Amazon Prime subscribers live in West, Midwest and Northeast. So Amazon is interest in B1G, not SEC. And adding California, Oregon and Washington to B1G would be the most cost effective for Amazon.

I hate to break the news but if anyone has watched a game on Amazon it sucks it’s glitchy as hell but that’s just my experience

The rumor is that NBC, Fox and Amazon will make a fat check to B1G then the three will share B1G. CBS will still own SEC and ABC/ESPN will still own ACC. ABC and Fox co-own Big12. Most Amazon Prime subscribers live in West, Midwest and Northeast. So Amazon is interest in B1G, not SEC. And adding California, Oregon and Washington to B1G would be the most cost effective for Amazon.
cbs loses its sec rights in 2023 to abc/espn

Interesting.
“Phillips noted that the ACC is in a power position for three reasons: its revenue is expected to far outpace that of the Pac-12 or Big 12 once USC, UCLA, Texas and Oklahoma (which are slated to move to the SEC in 2025) move to their new conferences; it operates its own network in partnership with ESPN; and the grant of rights binds its members together for the foreseeable future.”

More chatter of the B1G grabbing additional P12 teams. I get wanting to take Oregon and Washington. But taking both Cal and Stanford seems odd. They have poor brands and small fanbases. If you want the San Fran market, why not just take one? I would think Arizona, Colorado, and Utah are better fits as the 4th team.

More chatter of the B1G grabbing additional P12 teams. I get wanting to take Oregon and Washington. But taking both Cal and Stanford seems odd. They have poor brands and small fanbases. If you want the San Fran market, why not just take one? I would think Arizona, Colorado, and Utah are better fits as the 4th team.

They probably figure it will keep California off their backs.

They probably figure it will keep California off their backs.

Why not leave out Stanford for Arizona? You add a better brand, and you add a new state that has the 11th biggest market.

Why not leave out Stanford for Arizona? You add a better brand, and you add a new state that has the 11th biggest market.

Who knows, trying to give them travel partners?

I'm sure there's a method to the madness.

Cal and Stanford are joined at the hip, just like Ucla and Usc. The more Pac teams join the B1G, is better for us, no? Less spots to be filled by potential ACC teams. How big can these conferences get? 20, 24? I guess B1G end game could be:
17-Stanford
18-Cal
19-Oregon
20-Washington
21-North Carolina
22-Virginia
23-Miami
24-Notre Dame

Cal and Stanford are joined at the hip, just like Ucla and Usc. The more Pac teams join the B1G, is better for us, no? Less spots to be filled by potential ACC teams. How big can these conferences get? 20, 24?

I don't think the schools would turn down a lifeboat. Why risk being left behind and be forced to join the B12 with Baylor and BYU in it? They have no leverage. It would be like WV turning down the B12 to stay in the Big East because of Pitt.

If the P12 splits off into the B1G, B12, and MWC then what happens to the playoffs? Are they really going to keep the 6 conference champ rule? That 6th team wouldn't likely be ranked.

Do we really want NR Utah State at #5 Georgia in the 1st round? Meanwhile #10 Michigan State gets left out?

If the P12 splits off into the B1G, B12, and MWC then what happens to the playoffs? Are they really going to keep the 6 conference champ rule? That 6th team wouldn't likely be ranked.

Do we really want NR Utah State at #5 Georgia in the 1st round? Meanwhile #10 Michigan State gets left out?
These discussions would be so much more fun, if our seat at the Big Boy table was secure.

I would offer that you are severely underestimating Stanford's standing in college athletics. The Cardinal's profile goes well, well, well beyond TV ratings and it is an institutional fit (sans geography) for the vast majority of the academically-inclined ACC. In fact, it is the undisputed King of academics in the world of college football.

Stanford offers the wealthiest alumni base in Division I football, an endowment that does not stop ($37.8B at end of '21, yes, I said Billion), championship pedigree in the vast majority of sports, an almost new on-campus football stadium (redone in 2005), respected/recognizable brand, proximity to Silicon Valley/Big Tech, a rivalry with Cal that resonates nationally. And then the Bay Area DMA.

I would offer that you are severely underestimating Stanford's standing in college athletics. The Cardinal's profile goes well, well, well beyond TV ratings and it is an institutional fit (sans geography) for the vast majority of the academically-inclined ACC. In fact, it is the undisputed King of academics in the world of college football.

Stanford offers the wealthiest alumni base in Division I football, an endowment that does not stop ($37.8B at end of '21, yes, I said Billion), championship pedigree in the vast majority of sports, an almost new on-campus football stadium (redone in 2005), respected/recognizable brand, proximity to Silicon Valley/Big Tech, a rivalry with Cal that resonates nationally. And then the Bay Area DMA.

IMO Stanford is a good add but Cal adds very little. The only reason to add Cal is politics. That being said, no one cares about Cal-Stanford. How does Stanford having wealthy alumni make Maryland richer?

IMO Stanford is a good add but Cal adds very little. The only reason to add Cal is politics. That being said, no one cares about Cal-Stanford. How does Stanford having wealthy alumni make Maryland richer?
Fair questions. Cal-Stanford is a top-10 CFB rivalry, one that any network would want as part of its queue of games. ESPN is thrilled with its SEC partnership, and the ACC to a somewhat lesser degree, but the 10pm games on Saturday night are VERY important. The Pac 10/12 for all of its recent struggles, delivers these games that are important for ESPN to own (and to keep away from FOX).

The endowment is important because it points to the general health and profile of a university or college. There are essentially no healthier school than Stanford. At least among schools that play college football at the FBS level.

I am also confident that college football on the West Coast will rise again.

So let's say the B1G does take Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington, where would the others land?

I think Oregon State and Washington State would have to settle for the MWC. Which means the 2nd smallest stadium in the P5 is now Vandy.

Arizona State and Colorado make sense for the B12.

But what happens to Arizona and Utah? Would the B12 want those schools since they already have a presence in Utah and don't need 2 AZ schools?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom