USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Which would be a maximum of $32M per school per year for 6 years--not counting the league's cut.

Not accurate. They’re already making 42.6m per school so this would increase it to 50m or more depending on bowls, etc. At least according to ESPN

* but was on edibles at the time and was also talking about moss growth in the northwest with what appeared to be a felt pigeon
I agree with Bill; the students and the fans don't want this. This is for management, boosters, and the coaches (the big winners). I don't know about the FB/BB athletes, but I am sure all the other sport athletes don't want this huge increase in travel time. I don't understand how the Presidents/State admins are going along with this for what, $10/20 mil year? Most of that will go to travel costs, and FB/BB coaches within 5 years.

It is a real shame as the PAC12 was a model conference: high level achievement, two teams in each region with obvious rivalries, reasonably compact travel area, and BB was particularly athlete friendly as you would travel to one area and play two schools and come home in one trip - only the Ivy league is better.

I agree with Bill; the students and the fans don't want this. This is for management, boosters, and the coaches (the big winners). I don't know about the FB/BB athletes, but I am sure all the other sport athletes don't want this huge increase in travel time. I don't understand how the Presidents/State admins are going along with this for what, $10/20 mil year? Most of that will go to travel costs, and FB/BB coaches within 5 years.

It is a real shame as the PAC12 was a model conference: high level achievement, two teams in each region with obvious rivalries, reasonably compact travel area, and BB was particularly athlete friendly as you would travel to one area and play two schools and come home in one trip - only the Ivy league is better.
Hats off to you, Oakland

Take Ohio State and Michigan out of the mix and the quality of home game opponent really drops for UCLA and USC fans.

Who would rather watch Minnesota instead of Oregon or Washington?

Their fans will hate it quickly it will be tolerable if they win but torture if they don't being in that conference.

I hope this particular realignment falls apart. Maybe if UCLA reneges USC will be forced to back out. The time and expense of non-revenue sports traveling regularly to Rutgers or Maryland is just stupid.

I hope this particular realignment falls apart. Maybe if UCLA reneges USC will be forced to back out. The time and expense of non-revenue sports traveling regularly to Rutgers or Maryland is just stupid.
I think Kansas and San Diego state would be fine replacements for them and fans of UCLA and USC will hate seeing Rutgers and Iowa as their home games people simply won’t go.

There will be more away fans at their football games this will be a disaster.

It won't fall apart. UCLA and USC are running for the cash. The increase over what the PAC-12 pays will more than make up for traveling expenses incurred by the non-revenue sports.

Now, the wear and tear on the "student"-athletes is another story.

I think the only way that this could get fixed is if they major schools wanted it to get fixed. But, where is the incentive in that? It works very well as is, for the schools with the power to change things.

Not to be that guy but don't understand the angst. UCLA and SC chose stability and cash...same thing every school has done in the re-alignment era, including us.

Until too many schools get left out and have the political pull to make a threat work, there is no leverage. Until then, the Power schools maintain the leverage and ESPN, Fox, the alphabets and now the streaming services will control and manipulate as much as possible as long as possible.

Don't worry, excessive greed will always come into play and the balance will shift and equilibrium will be sought causing the pendulum to swing the other way. Hopefully, good sense kicks in, but people will be involved so good sense may or may not be involved.

it makes complete sense from a revenue standpoint and makes no sense from any other logical standpoint. you can stop reading this post after the first 8 words because those words are all that matter

I actually respect the SEC (as much as that’s possible) with how they’re building. They’re being smart. They didn’t grab two crap teams like a MD and turdgers. Or grab two teams from another continent. They’ve only expanded when it makes sense for everyone. Rivalries to be formed, solid fan bases, etc. B10 I think it’ll be interesting how viewership does the next 10 years. Will adding teams that don’t make sense from a fan perspective matter.

Bet Schiano is hawking “see the world”, “go to the west coast“ “let’s go surfin” to recruits. :p
Wait till they see how they have to get there.

1667495004138.jpeg

Not to be that guy but don't understand the angst. UCLA and SC chose stability and cash...same thing every school has done in the re-alignment era, including us.
This is simplistic. The tradeoff is increasingly bad for the fans, for whom geography and rivalries are increasingly thrown to the wind.

We went from playing WVU to NC State. They are going from Oregon State to Penn State.

This is simplistic. The tradeoff is increasingly bad for the fans, for whom geography and rivalries are increasingly thrown to the wind.

We went from playing WVU to NC State. They are going from Oregon State to Penn State.
Right geography would have stopped us from joining any other league.

The only people who are going to want to go to UCLA vs Ped State games in the Rose Bowl will be Ped State fans.

Big Ten fans will enjoy the trips to LA though.

Right geography would have stopped us from joining any other league.
ACC was an easy choice due to geography, fit, joining some old BE rivals, etc. The lone east coast team on the PAC12 would not be as straightforward. The trade offs are bigger, obviously.

The bigger the trade offs, the harder the decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom