USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

So let's say the B1G does take Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington, where would the others land?

I think Oregon State and Washington State would have to settle for the MWC. Which means the 2nd smallest stadium in the P5 is now Vandy.

Arizona State and Colorado make sense for the B12.

But what happens to Arizona and Utah? Would the B12 want those schools since they already have a presence in Utah and don't need 2 AZ schools?
I see it as Arizona ASU Utah Colorado to B12. Wazzu and Oregon St to the MWC

Fair questions. Cal-Stanford is a top-10 CFB rivalry, one that any network would want as part of its queue of games. ESPN is thrilled with its SEC partnership, and the ACC to a somewhat lesser degree, but the 10pm games on Saturday night are VERY important. The Pac 10/12 for all of its recent struggles, delivers these games that are important for ESPN to own (and to keep away from FOX).

The endowment is important because it points to the general health and profile of a university or college. There are essentially no healthier school than Stanford. At least among schools that play college football at the FBS level.

I am also confident that college football on the West Coast will rise again.
You also have to think like a university president, which is the person who ultimately makes these decisions. They want to be among likeminded institutions and academics and institutional fit are paramount. The B1G doesn’t need to expand. They’ll only do that for the right candidate

Cal and Stanford are joined at the hip, just like Ucla and Usc. The more Pac teams join the B1G, is better for us, no? Less spots to be filled by potential ACC teams. How big can these conferences get? 20, 24? I guess B1G end game could be:
17-Stanford
18-Cal
19-Oregon
20-Washington
21-North Carolina
22-Virginia
23-Miami
24-Notre Dame
With the setup of the expanded playoff, Notre Dame has no reason to give up its independence. They're getting sufficient money from their TV contract and they have no problem with topping out at the 5-12 game. They really hate the idea that their ice hockey teams have to play in the B1G. They want zero part of the B1G in any other sport. ND's alums are concentrated on both coasts and in Chicago. They neither want nor need to play regularly in Minneapolis or Lincoln.

Last edited:
You also have to think like a university president, which is the person who ultimately makes these decisions.
Typically, the president does what the board tells them to do. However, each school is different.

They might be considering it, but they aren't going to actually do it. The whole point of expansion is to make more money. Adding anyone (except maybe Notre Dame or Florida State) hampers that goal. Maybe when SEC starts reaching they'll grab a few brands they view favorably, but they have no reason to pre-emptively do so right now.

Expansion is dead until ND decides if they'll do anything IMO. USC/UCLA were the surprise entries to "Wait they are available" sweepstakes.

Of course, i'll change my mind if the GoR is breakable. I do think Clemson/FSU have to give it a long pause if their intention is to win championships vs run a profitable athletic dept. The latter may be at the expense of real opportunities to win titles.

So let's say the B1G does take Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington, where would the others land?

I think Oregon State and Washington State would have to settle for the MWC. Which means the 2nd smallest stadium in the P5 is now Vandy.

Arizona State and Colorado make sense for the B12.

But what happens to Arizona and Utah? Would the B12 want those schools since they already have a presence in Utah and don't need 2 AZ schools?

Having Arizona-Arizona State, and BYU-Utah would seem to be good TV content for the Big 12. They need all the content they can get.

Washington-Wazzou, Oregon-Oregon State wouldn't make as much sense for the B1G. You just take Oregon-Washington and cut out the fat.

Having Arizona-Arizona State, and BYU-Utah would seem to be good TV content for the Big 12. They need all the content they can get.

Washington-Wazzou, Oregon-Oregon State wouldn't make as much sense for the B1G. You just take Oregon-Washington and cut out the fat.
Would a network rather have those 2 games and pay 16 teams? Or pay 14 teams and only get those games every other year OOC?

Arizona at least has a strong brand. Utah I think is hard to justify taking. Why take them over San Diego St or USF?

Regarding Stanford and Cal… I know many don’t like to hear the “A” word in the conversations about realignment (i.e., academics), but the Big Ten Academic Alliance is a big deal. They get almost $10 billion in funded research each year. Stanford and Cal are huge players in funded research. Do they bring the cheddar for sports? Maybe not so much. But they bring it for research and that’s worth it’s weight too.

IMO - all conferences are trying to diversify. Rutgers brings nothing in terms of sports. But, they have a strong academic research footprint and the elite B1G sport teams (e.g., OSU, Michigan, etc.) get an away homecoming game in a alum-rich metro area that their alums can enjoy. Keeps the donors happy. Stanford and Cal are potentially more of the same.

Would a network rather have those 2 games and pay 16 teams? Or pay 14 teams and only get those games every other year OOC?

Arizona at least has a strong brand. Utah I think is hard to justify taking. Why take them over San Diego St or USF?

It’s a good question, I don’t know the math. I would just think league like the Big 12, without a true alpha, may want strength in numbers and as much content as they can get their hands on.

I think Utah is a stronger draw/football brand than San Diego State or USF. They’ve proven themselves and I’d bet the Salt Lake City market isn’t so bad.

A couple of points.
Thank God for the Gor
Let the big get fat on other conf
ACC picks up some very good schools and ends up in third position

Travel issues for a non-revenue sport.

Plane and then bus trips to out of the way hockey venues convinced Swarbrick to switch.
He shouldn't diss Lowell and Amherst, not to mention Burlington, Durham, and Orono. :)

That was 100% ND's choice. They were in Hockey East and could have stayed there forever.
Hockey, the 1 sport where teams can just move from the 'SEC' to the 'B1G'...and it makes total sense.

you are forgetting that CA > OR, WA, AZ & UT combined.

by locking up CA, those 4 states become feeders for the entire B1G.

thats a strong western front.

makes total sense to me.

you are forgetting that CA > OR, WA, AZ & UT combined.

by locking up CA, those 4 states become feeders for the entire B1G.

thats a strong western front.

makes total sense to me.

The B1G taking 3 of 4 P12 schools would lock it up.

The B1G taking 3 of 4 P12 schools would lock it up.
not really.

there is no need to ever allow what happened in FL a couple of years ago to ever happen again.

take all the Cali schools, boom...done.

let the other schools die on the vine as their best all flock to the B1G.

UCLA can't get 20k to their home football games. What is the allure to taking them? I understand they have big name credibility for basketball and some olympic sports...but no conferences care about olympic sports.

not really.

there is no need to ever allow what happened in FL a couple of years ago to ever happen again.

take all the Cali schools, boom...done.

let the other schools die on the vine as their best all flock to the B1G.

What happened in Florida?

Cal is never competitive being in the P12. Things would be worse outside the P12. There is zero chance of them going to the B12. They would either go Indy or MWC. They are just another San Diego State or Fresno State in football. That is no threat to the B1G.

Travel issues for a non-revenue sport.

Plane and then bus trips to out of the way hockey venues convinced Swarbrick to switch.
I think it was a logical decision, and the Hockey East schools didn't love schlepping out to South Bend.

I was just countering the point that ND doesn't like being in the B1G for hockey. That's absurd, they literally chose to be there.

What happened in Florida?

Cal is never competitive being in the P12. Things would be worse outside the P12. There is zero chance of them going to the B12. They would either go Indy or MWC. They are just another San Diego State or Fresno State in football. That is no threat to the B1G.
UCF went undefeated and claimed to be #1, thus bringing much shame and shade to FL, Fla St and Miami.

Take Cali’s big 4 and you own the whole Pacific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom