USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

my whole god damn point has been to see what is available and do it amicably and on top of the table so as to not to walk away with nothing.

the GOR is not the exit fee.

and i know what you did, hence the Mortimer.
what I did? I can't wait for this. We have no idea what the Gor is doing for the member schools right this moment. One thing I know for sure, you don't know. As for the Mortimer, yes, I get rid of dead weight. Good news for you, I'm retiring soon. Do you have a white sheet of paper you can waive around saying you have peace in our time?

No athletic scholarships is a big sticking point. Duke ain't agreeing to that.
I can see the Dookie students pitching their tents for the home games against Columbia and Brown.

what I did? I can't wait for this. We have no idea what the Gor is doing for the member schools right this moment. One thing I know for sure, you don't know. As for the Mortimer, yes, I get rid of dead weight. Good news for you, I'm retiring soon. Do you have a white sheet of paper you can waive around saying you have peace in our time?
did, do, does, whatever...all good Mortimer.

we have no idea what the GOR is doing is right, if its bad...thats not good.

it seems to be bad, so unzip it. we as the public dont even have to know its unzipped, just for the parties at hand to see what sharks want to eat what. maybe the b1g wants to eat Syracuse?? i dont know...but if they do, then lets get out now and pay. and if they dont, they who do they want that they inevitably will get??? lets just put that on the table and let them negotiate out.

i think we can all agree right now it is holding things together, and i have laid out why it might bad for those who are cashing those checks.

you know the only paper i have in my hand is the NY Post...

This makes the most sense of anything I’ve read thus far.

When the Big 12 was on the ropes the last time around when UT and OK bolted, there was a lot of talk about the PAC 12 wanting to expand into the central time zone. It made a lot of sense then, but they didn’t pursue it for whatever reason. With Colorado in the conference already they can effectively create an eastern division or POD with those schools.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this works from a revenue perspective without opening up GOR? If there isn't (significant) incremental revenue, isn't the risk of defection still high or is the ACC trying to solidify (a tie for) 3rd place?

Also, this seems like it would give Sankey enough incentive to really push his "SEC Only" playoff

it seems to be bad, so unzip it. we as the public dont even have to know its unzipped, just for the parties at hand to see what sharks want to eat what. maybe the b1g wants to eat Syracuse?? i dont know...but if they do, then lets get out now and pay. and if they dont, they who do they want that they inevitably will get??? lets just put that on the table and let them negotiate out.

i think we can all agree right now it is holding things together, and i have laid out why it might bad for those who are cashing those checks.

New York Post...figures. I'm actually surprised...that you can read.

1. you are right, i am not a businessman and certainly not the Prime Minister of the UK, im an advisor on Wall St, but i will take that as a compliment if it cost me in the short term.
1657148819751.gif

Last edited:
Nobody is saying any team can not leave the ACC. What is being said, that if you leave the ACC there is a price you have to pay. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

New York Post...figures. I'm actually surprised...that you can read.

So... whose is bigger? :cool:

This feels like it has legs. it’s like the Big Ten and SEC are the villains in a Scooby Doo cartoon and the ACC, PAC and Big 12 are those meddling kids.

still missing the point.

you want the GOR because...why?

i say its antiquated and useless.

uznip it, open it up...see what people got. then tell them their exit fee.

if you prefer doing business by holding a gun to their heads and yelling...youre going nowhere without giving me all your money 1st!!!...then i am wrong and welcome to the good side.

i just dont think thats good business.

and the GOR works as well as a rowboat in a naval battle.

if anyone wants out of the ACC, theyre leaving and i bet a single penny wont be paid to a GOR.

and if there is, it will be so small no one will care and the smart world will laugh at whomever takes its...pettyness.
That’s what’s wrong with big business and the supposed ‘smart world’ etc - contracts, promises, laws, regulations don’t mean a thing - it’s all about greed. Like little kids who cross their fingers behind their backs - just liars.

Heard a good podcast on this and it made sense: ESPN/SEC isn’t going to purposely blow up the ACC. Clemson being in a small media market with an SEC team already in state combined with the next to prettiest dates being in FL makes is redundant. UNC is married to Duke and is wedded to basketball 1st.

FOX/B1G is even more unlikely.

If this PAC 12 partnership can get us an updated number, maybe ESPN makes us more whole and happy. We’d be a good FOX firewall

Heard a good podcast on this and it made sense: ESPN/SEC isn’t going to purposely blow up the ACC. Clemson being in a small media market with an SEC team already in state combined with the next to prettiest dates being in FL makes is redundant. UNC is married to Duke and is wedded to basketball 1st.

If this PAC 12 partnership can get us an updated number, maybe ESPN makes us more whole and happy. We’d be a good FOX firewall
So Clemson, FSU and Miami aren't going to the SEC and Vandy to the ACC?

I think a potential TV alliance with the PAC-12, addresses two issues -

1. Most importantly it expedites a renegotiation of the ESPN TV deal and hopefully give the ACC a 2nd crack at rectifying a terrible deal before.

2. An increase in overall revenue which per team will probably be minimal but still makes an attempt to improve the current revenue share.

I think a potential TV alliance with the PAC-12, addresses two issues -

1. Most importantly it expedites a renegotiation of the ESPN TV deal and hopefully give the ACC a 2nd crack at rectifying a terrible deal before.

2. An increase in overall revenue which per team will probably be minimal but still makes an attempt to improve the current revenue share.
And blocks the B12 from wearing big boy pants.

While I’m at it, I’m going to end this now too…

UNC is not stupid, they most certainly ARE NOT wedded to a small private school 5 miles or whatever away.

They will drop them in a heartbeat in football and end up playing them anyway in hoop just like they do now.

See Syracuse and the old BE.

I would like to insert this into the conversation: UCF and USF are bigger schools in larger population areas than Florida State, Florida or Miami. If we have to create a new ACC out of the "left behinds", they will give us Florida exposure and could turn into powerhouses than can carry the conference flag.
I am very familiar with UCF and USF. I agree about UCF, that school is a giant in the making. USF is a dumpster fire and IMO will never get there. UCF pulls students from all over the state. USF is 80% Tampa kids, very limited appeal around the state and not much even in Tampa.

However, UCF is not passing UF in the next 50 years. UF alums are all the old money in the state. Tons of political power and business titans are alums. I could see UCF passing FSU in 50 years though.

There are so many things to unravel here

1- would adding new teams to the ACC really open up the GOR? That doesn’t seem correct, I would think they would have to agree to it to become new members but not something we know

2- a “super” conference will have 24-32 teams. With smaller “pods”. Which will be regionalized. People keep saying we will lose regionality in conferences but I just don’t see it. Imo they will be more regionalized than recently because of the small pods. The out of pod games would be like OOC games.

3- we CANNOT allow the Big 12 to get PAC schools. That would be very bad. At least now we are the number 3 conference.

4- people are saying we would need to add value to get more money. That isn’t necessarily true. We add 8 pac schools and 6 big 12 schools, go to 28teams. Create regional pods and divisions of east and west. That then cuts off expansion for now. Puts us at 28 teams, adds value, exposure all over the country and cuts down the P5 to the P3. It’s not the most powerful at the top, but it would be the deepest and largest population based conference. Obviously this would only work if the GOR stayed in place. Because of the regional pods and break of divisions traveling costa would not be that much more.

5- I think ND is never going to join. So kick them out, as long as it doesn’t affect GOR after one last invitation. If they say no. You add Cincinnati, WVU, Houston, Oklahoma st, Kansas, Arizona, Asu, Colorado, Utah, BYu, Stanford, cal, Washington, Oregon. That gives you 28 teams, 4 pods of 7 (regionally divided), you play 11 conference games. 6 in your pod, 2, 2, and 1 from the other pods rotating. They would be like out of conference games. And then each team schedules 1-2 OOC games each year.

Last edited:
There are so many things to unravel here

1- would adding new teams to the ACC really open up the GOR? That doesn’t seem correct, I would think they would have to agree to it to become new members but not something we know

2- a “super” will have 24 teams. With smaller “pods”. Which will be regionalized. People keep saying we will lose regionality in conferences but I just don’t see it. Imo they will be more regionalized than recently because of the small pods. The out of pod games would be like OOC games.

3- we CANNOT allow the Big 12 to get PAC schools. That would be very bad. At least now we are the number 3 conference.

4- people are saying we would need to add value to get more money. That isn’t necessarily true. We add 8 pac schools and 6 big 12 schools, go to 24 teams. Create regional pods and divisions of east and west. That then cuts off expansion for now. Puts us at 24 teams, adds value, exposure all over the country and cuts down the P5 to the P3. It’s not the most powerful at the top, but it would be the deepest and largest population based conference. Obviously this would only work if the GOR stayed in place. Because of the regional pods and break of divisions traveling costa would not be that much more.
Certainly having powers like Oregon and Washington added to Clemson, Florida State and Miami would boost the conference’s football stature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom