USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

NY is useless when it comes to this stuff. Not going to turn it political but if were waiting on the state to help or do something we'll be playing Hobart and Ithaca in 10 years.
The Buffalo Bills beg to differ...

The Buffalo Bills beg to differ...

There's an enormous difference between money for an NFL stadium (where Buffalo was hinting they would bolt without it) versus NY even realizing what's happening in the current D1 realignment landscape.

There's an enormous difference between money for an NFL stadium (where Buffalo was hinting they would bold without it) versus NY even realizing what's happening in the current D1 realignment landscape.
No question about it.

So, if (and at present, this is not the case), but if UVa has its choice upon departure, I think they’d go SEC > B10. It is a southern school at heart, perhaps not a deep southern school. But that is where it’s culture leans. At the very least, it is certainly not midwestern.

Now, don’t lose sight of this, the Cavaliers will stay in the ACC for the foreseeable future, but I also see them (in time) following UNC’s lead. Could be in 2034 or some similar time frame. As a package deal or sorts. And UNC is even a smidge more southern than UVa. (And I could give two ships where Jim DeLaney went to school, so save that for your SwimSwam board buddies)
UVA academics fit the B1G but their soul is Southern...SEC is my choice

Let me ask a stupid question…..Fox “owns” the Big 10 and ESPN/ABC “owns” the SEC and ACC TV rights. It’s been said on this thread multiple times that the networks basically dictate which school gets invited to which conference.

So then why doesn’t ESPN/ACC fold into one super conference the SEC, the ACC and add any additional desperate teams worth adding (and also kick out any low income producing programs..cough cough Vanderbilt, or whoever) to produce something like a two division 14 x 14 mega conference to compete against Fox/Big 10?

Point being is aside from ND, I am not sure the Big 10 could add enough additional quality schools outside of SEC/ACC to get to a conference of the same size that would generate same level of TV dollars.

Would we be part of the 'whoever', (since this is mostly about football with the other sports along for the ride)?

I can’t get excited about playing football in a weak conference.

This isn’t like CBB where teams like Gonzaga can thrive outside of a major conference.

I’m sure there will be a market for content outside of the B1G/SEC, should the worst case scenario occur, but it would feel way too “minor leagues” for me to really continue to be passionate about our program.

At least now, I don’t feel apathetic until halfway through the season. Hope can still spring eternal that we can be a borderline Top 25 team that matters in the CFB landscape year to year.

Feels like forever ago, but I still remember how hype I was to see our university in the CFP rankings .. even if I knew we weren’t a title contender. I don’t need much from this program… but I fear even that would be lost if we are squeezed out of realignment.

I will never be apathetic about SU football, no matter where wind up. The assumption that we have to be in the highest plateau of the sport to be interesting is wrong. Again, don't you think Cincinnati, Central Florida and Boise State fans have had more fun in recent years than SU fans? Haven't you wondered what it would be like to be a North Dakota State fan? If the highest plateau has been moved up to include the top 40 schools, is that where we belong? How much fun would it be to have SU play a Top 40 school every week? Yes, it's more $$$$ but everybody gets the same share of that money, so it's not going to be a competitive advantage or turn us into a top 40 football school.

It's like sticking our hand in an elevator door so we can get on board with a team of Sumo wrestlers, rather than waiting for the next elevator.

I will never be apathetic about SU football, no matter where wind up. The assumption that we have to be in the highest plateau of the sport to be interesting is wrong. Again, don't you think Cincinnati, Central Florida and Boise State fans have had more fun in recent years than SU fans? Haven't you wondered what it would be like to be a North Dakota State fan? If the highest plateau has been moved up to include the top 40 schools, is that where we belong? How much fun would it be to have SU play a Top 40 school every week? Yes, it's more $$$$ but everybody gets the same share of that money, so it's not going to be a competitive advantage or turn us into a top 40 football school.

It's like sticking our hand in an elevator door so we can get on board with a team of Sumo wrestlers, rather than waiting for the next elevator.
To each their own. I prefer to play football at the adult table.

Staples: The realignment battle for No. 1 — and for No. 3 — is made for TV

Interesting article. I think SU middling on this list is pretty impressive considering they were pretty bad all but 1 of these years. I think it shows we have a good baseline and people watch SU even in the bad years. Pretty much all the teams higher than SU have had some decent success in the past 6 years, far more than SU. I believe we'd be around the top 10, if not better, if they were winning.

Interesting article, particularly option three for us. If it actually happened, which I know is unlikely, might actually be able to compete financially with SEC/BigTen

Thoughts?
The likelihood of scenarios like this only having 16 teams total (8 from each coast) are near zero.

The likelihood of a bi-coastal conference searching for a new TV deal not including SU (and therefore NYC/NYS) are remote at best.

Articles like this are largely click bait and mean nothing. Cincinnati gets way too much love here. They’ve had a nice five-year run. The Bearcats get 5-10% as much play in Ohio as the Buckeyes.

The likelihood of scenarios like this only having 16 teams total (8 from each coast) are near zero.

The likelihood of a bi-coastal conference searching for a new TV deal not including SU (and therefore NYC/NYS) are remote at best.

Articles like this are largely click bait and mean nothing. Cincinnati gets way too much love here. They’ve had a nice five-year run. The Bearcats get 5-10% as much play in Ohio as the Buckeyes.
Agreed. But I think a 24 team, 4 division option is intriguing if these leagues are serious about survival.

I can’t get excited about playing football in a weak conference.

This isn’t like CBB where teams like Gonzaga can thrive outside of a major conference.

I’m sure there will be a market for content outside of the B1G/SEC, should the worst case scenario occur, but it would feel way too “minor leagues” for me to really continue to be passionate about our program.

At least now, I don’t feel apathetic until halfway through the season. Hope can still spring eternal that we can be a borderline Top 25 team that matters in the CFB landscape year to year.

Feels like forever ago, but I still remember how hype I was to see our university in the CFP rankings .. even if I knew we weren’t a title contender. I don’t need much from this program… but I fear even that would be lost if we are squeezed out of realignment.
Listen I have lived in Syracuse three-quarters of my life and I have been a fan for a good part of that and I just know if Syracuse is left out it's over! It's kind of scary actually because I think we will pretty much end up like Yukon and maybe fold the program. That would be devastating but it is what it is I can't see any other way it would go. Athletic department with could not afford it they were be hemorrhaging money. There would be no attendance so lack of money coming in and hardly any money coming in from conference like we are used to now which if things go our way for the ACC or wherever could be even much more so this is pretty much do or die my opinion.

Interesting article, particularly option three for us. If it actually happened, which I know is unlikely, might actually be able to compete financially with SEC/BigTen

Thoughts?
This article is not good. Read the athletic article from Dennis dodds I believe. It follows which schools have following. Pretty telling that Syracuse football has been really bad for the past 20 years and we are still 24th in viewership since 2015 (of those that are not in the sec or Big 10). The teams this article places in the divisions is not even close to the top markets that are not currently in the 2 big conferences.

Listen I have lived in Syracuse three-quarters of my life and I have been a fan for a good part of that and I just know if Syracuse is left out it's over! It's kind of scary actually because I think we will pretty much end up like Yukon and maybe fold the program. That would be devastating but it is what it is I can't see any other way it would go. Athletic department with could not afford it they were be hemorrhaging money. There would be no attendance so lack of money coming in and hardly any money coming in from conference like we are used to now which if things go our way for the ACC or wherever could be even much more so this is pretty much do or die my opinion.
We will never do what UConn did worst case scenario for us is being in the 2nd tier and making current or a little bit less than acc dollars in a leftover league

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom