UVA Players in the Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Players in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he was looking for Beck to offer and got the “talk” instead. He’ll end up a WR at TTU
One of the comments suggests his future is at LB.

Based on what I've heard, don't expect many (if any) UVA portal players on offense. Anae was not exactly loved by the UVA offensive players.

Based on what I've heard, don't expect many (if any) UVA portal players on offense. Anae was not exactly loved by the UVA offensive players.
That would be a shame, considering how well the offense worked. Not the kind of players we need right now, IMO.

Where did you hear that? Who said that? Exactly what did they say? (I don't expect an answer.)

Where did you hear that? Who said that? Exactly what did they say? (I don't expect an answer.)
So before jumping to conclusions why don't you wait for an answer? Clockwork knows a reporter who followed UVA football and that's where is information comes from. His source provided the information. It's a data point. If you don't like it then fine but no need to be a dick about it. People wonder why insiders don't share info, it's kinda because people like you.

So before jumping to conclusions why don't you wait for an answer? Clockwork knows a reporter who followed UVA football and that's where is information comes from. His source provided the information. It's a data point. If you don't like it then fine but no need to be a dick about it. People wonder why insiders don't share info, it's kinda because people like you.
I didn't jump to any conclusions. I simply asked for corroborating information. Too many people on this board simply post crap with no basis.

Hey OiB, I received the info from a good friend who has covered UVA football for 10 years. He's a great journalist and someone I trust implicitly with info like this. Obviously, it needs to be taken with the requisite grain of salt.

Most of the players loved Beck but really hated the way Anae coached and mentored. The results speak for themselves, but apparently, everyone from admins to players to support staff were not enamored with Anae.

Is this the tip of the iceberg to saying you question the hires?
I don't question the hires at all! Anae's offensive past is all the proof I need. I think Beck is a homerun and Anae is a hard-hit double into the gap. As I said to my friend in the know, "Sterlin Gilbert may have been beloved but his offense sucked."

So I'm all for a coach that might be pr!ckly who simply gets results. Just commenting on the fact that UVA offensive players were not necessarily enamored with how he treated them.

Last edited:
Hey OiB, I received the info from a good friend who has covered UVA football for 10 years. He's a great journalist and someone I trust implicitly with info like this. Obviously, it needs to be taken with the requisite grain of salt.

Most of the players loved Beck but really hated the way Anae coached and mentored. The results speak for themselves, but apparently, everyone from admins to players to support staff were not enamored with Anae.
Most well coached units have a ‘good guy’ and a ‘bad guy’ that work together to get the best out of the players. The bad guy demands a lot, rarely praises, and usually has little personal relationship with the players. The good guy breaks back shattered egos, is very positive and usually is very to and well loved by the players.

Guessing this is how things have gone with the UVa offensive unit for some time now. Maybe some of the other position coaches also filled the good guy role? Pretty sure Gilbert played the bad guy role on the Syracuse offensive unit the last couple of years. It only works if the bad guy really knows his stuff and his criticisms and negative feedback is 100% legitimate. I think the problem with Gilbert was this was NOT always the case. This is probably a big reason Sterlin has struggled to succeed as an OC thus far.

I know Lynch is one of the coaches on the staff who plays the good guy role. Hoping Schmidt does as well. We probably need another good guy type for the WR coaching position. In addition to a kick butt type recruiter and a guy who excels at developing WRs into big time P5 players. That is going to be a hard job to fill. No wonder Dino is taking his time trying to find the right guy for the job.

It will be interesting to see how it all breaks down.

I didn't jump to any conclusions. I simply asked for corroborating information. Too many people on this board simply post crap with no basis.
I don't post anything without solid info from people I trust. I also typically okay it with the person I'm getting the info from before posting. Like I said in another post to you, no information in situations like these are 100%, and I hope my friend is wrong in this case as UVA has some good portal players. I simply think the likelihood based on what I know, is less than 50% that we get any UVA offensive players.

Most well coached units have a ‘good guy’ and a ‘bad guy’ that work together to get the best out of the players. The bad guy demands a lot, rarely praises, and usually has little personal relationship with the players. The good guy breaks back shattered egos, is very positive and usually is very to and well loved by the players.

Guessing this is how things have gone with the UVa offensive unit for some time now. Maybe some of the other position coaches also filled the good guy role? Pretty sure Gilbert played the bad guy role on the Syracuse offensive unit the last couple of years. It only works if the bad guy really knows his stuff and his criticisms and negative feedback is 100% legitimate. I think the problem with Gilbert was this was NOT always the case. This is probably a big reason Sterlin has struggled to succeed as an OC thus far.

I know Lynch is one of the coaches on the staff who plays the good guy role. Hoping Schmidt does as well. We probably need another good guy type for the WR coaching position. In addition to a kick butt type recruiter and a guy who excels at developing WRs into big time P5 players. That is going to be a hard job to fill. No wonder Dino is taking his time trying to find the right guy for the job.

I agree with what you say, and most coaching dynamics I've covered over the course of my career break the way you mention. This sounded like more than just that though. It sounded like he was a bit of an "a-hole." No one within the athletics department really liked him at all.

The rumor around the grounds was that Mendenhall was being pressured to push Anae out (along with other coaching adjustments). He stayed loyal and left the program in part because of those coaching adjustment "suggestions". What I just stated is much more in the "rumor realm" than the other things I've mentioned though.

Like I said though - I'm willing to roll the dice with an OC who may not be liked but gets results. Anae might not be a long-term solution, but that's part of the reason why I think Beck is here. He's the OC heir apparent in my mind.

I don't question the hires at all! Anae's offensive past is all the proof I need. I think Beck is a homerun and Anae is a hard-hit double into the gap. As I said to my friend in the know, "Sterlin Gilbert may have been beloved but his offense sucked."

So I'm all for a coach that might be pr!ckly who simply gets results. Just commenting on the fact that UVA offensive players were not necessarily enamored with how he treated them.
Anae = Beck just as Arnett = White.

I don't post anything without solid info from people I trust. I also typically okay it with the person I'm getting the info from before posting. Like I said in another post to you, no information in situations like these are 100%, and I hope my friend is wrong in this case as UVA has some good portal players. I simply think the likelihood based on what I know, is less than 50% that we get any UVA offensive players.
You really shouldn't have to explain this.

Roger that. 15 years ago and maybe even 10 years ago I wouldn't bat an eyelash of with concern over a guy who has proof of results but doesn't have a lot of big fans of those he coaches or is around.

Today's day and age though I do wonder how much it matters in terms of building sustainable success. Hopefully as noted already there is enough balance of good guys.

It's not a problem. I post the info I have and if people don't want to believe it that's fine. Inside info is a double-edged sword. It's great to have, but it's not always rock solid. I understand why people can be skeptical.
I just wish people would understand this finally. We've chased away too many posters who had great information. As you said, it doesn't always come to pass, but it is shared in good faith. That is good enough for me, and personally, I appreciate it. I have zero connections. I gather information and then make my own conclusions. If you provided information 20 times and it all turned out to be completely wrong, then I would know not to trust your information. Obviously, that isn't your record. But, my point is, and this is a plea to all of our posters...read the information. Don't ask for the source. Use the information as you see fit. Either trust it or don't. Learn who has good information and who doesn't, and otherwise shut the hell up.

This has been a great informational thread for me. Thanks to all.

Btw, my first observation of good cop/bad cop was on Hill Street Blues in the ‘80’s. :)

I just wish people would understand this finally. We've chased away too many posters who had great information. As you said, it doesn't always come to pass, but it is shared in good faith. That is good enough for me, and personally, I appreciate it. I have zero connections. I gather information and then make my own conclusions. If you provided information 20 times and it all turned out to be completely wrong, then I would know not to trust your information. Obviously, that isn't your record. But, my point is, and this is a plea to all of our posters...read the information. Don't ask for the source. Use the information as you see fit. Either trust it or don't. Learn who has good information and who doesn't, and otherwise shut the hell up.
I know there are certain posters that have been run off because of stuff like this. I'm a 43-year-old professor who has been on this board (or some iteration) for 21 years. If someone wants to not trust me, no skin off my back. I'm too old to be a troll, and too thick-skinned to care if someone gets their panties in a bunch over something I post! ;)

Lynch is definitely your other good guy. From everything I hear the players love him.

Thanks for that Clockwork. That's all I was asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom