Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion

So what are the benefits of having Dino still be HC come Monday? I cannot think of a single one at this point. I can think of plenty of benefits to firing him tomorrow. If he is not the long term answer, the sooner you move on the better it is for the program.
There is none. Being a nice guy doesn’t win games. He is not a good coach, it’s that simple. JW said Cuse was a brand on the rise or whatever, not with this coach it isnt.

Fire him tomorrow, then offer Mullen 5-7 million before the season ends and a better job opens. If you can’t land him I’d like Hartline. Maybe get him before he goes to a bigger program as well.. they need to open the check book up and get a proven coach. Not some up and coming FCS guy.

So what are the benefits of having Dino still be HC come Monday? I cannot think of a single one at this point. I can think of plenty of benefits to firing him tomorrow. If he is not the long term answer, the sooner you move on the better it is for the program.
Maybe he'll resign if you keep him a little longer and you save some coin?

If not Mullen or Hartline Id like Lewis.

"Lewis left the Kent State head coaching job to be Deion Sanders’ offensive coordinator. His KSU offense led the nation in scoring in 2020 and was on the verge of developing the first NFL Draft picks at Kent State since 2014 before the group left for the portal. WRs Dante Cephas (Penn State) and Devontez Walker (North Carolina) and offensive linemen Marcellus Marshall (UCF) and Savion Washington (Colorado) are all projected draft picks."

I couldn’t even make it through 3 mins of the press conference.

Reporter “Garett has looked uncomfortable in his decision making and leaving the pocket last 4 games. Why do you think that is ?”

Dino - “I don’t know”

ITS YOUR JOB TO KNOW. ITS BEEN A MONTH TO FIGURE IT OUT.

Reporter “Garett has looked uncomfortable in his decision making and leaving the pocket last 4 games. Why do you think that is ?”

Dino - “I don’t know”

OHANA

Outgained 528-128. And as NineOneSeven just mentioned, out rushed 318-0. By a team ranked 88th in rushing and 105 in stopping the run.

Worst performance by an SU OL of all time? Has to be up there. But they weren't alone.

This is one of the darker days we've ever had on the field.

Those are DAMNING numbers

In my humble opinion any P5 Football Program who took their program seriously and realizes that the landscape of College Football is changing and you will have schools invited to the big dances and other schools not invited would take a long hard look at their program leadership to see where they stand on the invitation list. Not sure many schools other than Syracuse would continue to employ a head coach who consistently ranks at the bottom of the recruiting spectrum, has an 18-43 record within his conference, has lost 13 games by more than thirty points and has had back to back years with four game losing streaks. Add to the fact that his decision making is constantly challenged by football analysts during his games. It’s beyond time for a change. You have had 7.5 and counting of consistently bad. Act like you care about the product you are putting out to yours fans and make it respectable and not laughable!

Dino - “I don’t know”

Come on man, he knows, but one of his only redeeming qualities is not throwing his players under the bus. Just doesn’t want to say that the offensive line is likely the worst in college football history at this level.

He’s a lousy coach and he’s always been a lousy coach.

He came in with a gimmick O that didn’t really work — didn’t improve recruiting, didn’t win games.

He caught lightning in a bottle Dungey’s senior year and rode it to a big payday. I hope he sends Eric a nice fruit basket every Christmas.

Program has largely stunk ever since.

Just end it. There’s absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Try again. What’s the harm? Oh no, maybe we suck like we have for the past 20 years? Oh no, not that.

Has anyone enjoyed the last 5 years of SU football? I sure as hell haven’t. Move on, try again.

It’s never a good sign when I can be thankful that I was stuck on an 11 hour flight preventing me from watching the game. Managing to rush for 0 yards against a bad VPI rush defense is so bad that it’s almost an accomplishment.

Not sure what the argument is to keep Dino at this point. I tend to err on the side of seeing if he can somehow pull off a couple wins to close the year and sneak a bowl game out of it. But a change up top actually may help a bowl game come to fruition. You can’t say we (Syracuse U and the fans) haven’t given Dino a chance to succeed and been patient. He’s had some great high moments but you can’t be the guy to preach consistently good, not just occasionally great, and have as many losses as he has. His ACC record has been awful but he showed enough signs of life during his tenure to keep us hopeful and supportive. But I don’t think the AD can go into next season with him at the helm and expect to sell tickets. I don’t even think Dino wants to be the HC going into next season. He will take whatever is left on his contract and play golf for a year out west.

2023 Babers is not the same guy from 2016. Or maybe he is but a bit older with less concern for the job he was hired to do.
One possibility that has been raised here before - he hoped a quick turnaround here would lead to a bigger P5 job - remember the the “Dino to USC” nonsense? That was his MO at EIU and BGU - wasn’t he HC at each for just 2 years?

Once he realized that this wasn’t going to happen and he was “stuck” in Central NY, the Hawaii/California in him seemed to lose his fire and decided he would just mail it in and collect a check til the University figured out that he was indeed a gimmick HC whose gimmick had been figured out by the college football world.

As has been said here many times, he’s a great representative of the University but it’s no longer enough for him to warrant keeping his job. 8 years of evidence is enough. We are now fully in the “evidence without belief” era.

I don’t think we will ever return to the glory days of the 80s-90s, but seeing Duke and Wake succeed in recent years tells me that we can be a good 7-8 annual wins program with the right coaching hire. Especially with the portal, it shouldn’t take 4-5 years — if we find the right guy.

18-43
18-43
Again, in what life endeavor can u have that record of sustained failure and keep your position? This guy has been paid well more than $20 million. We mock Rutgers and UConn but look in the mirror. Do it now, let Rocky finish up the colonoscopy and get a head start on the search.

It’s never a good sign when I can be thankful that I was stuck on an 11 hour flight preventing me from watching the game. Managing to rush for 0 yards against a bad VPI rush defense is so bad that it’s almost an accomplishment.

Not sure what the argument is to keep Dino at this point. I tend to err on the side of seeing if he can somehow pull off a couple wins to close the year and sneak a bowl game out of it. But a change up top actually may help a bowl game come to fruition. You can’t say we (Syracuse U and the fans) haven’t given Dino a chance to succeed and been patient. He’s had some great high moments but you can’t be the guy to preach consistently good, not just occasionally great, and have as many losses as he has. His ACC record has been awful but he showed enough signs of life during his tenure to keep us hopeful and supportive. But I don’t think the AD can go into next season with him at the helm and expect to sell tickets. I don’t even think Dino wants to be the HC going into next season. He will take whatever is left on his contract and play golf for a year out west.
Maybe I could be his golf coach, it’s equivalent of him being a head football coach lol

He’s a lousy coach and he’s always been a lousy coach.

He came in with a gimmick O that didn’t really work — didn’t improve recruiting, didn’t win games.

He caught lightning in a bottle Dungey’s senior year and rode it to a big payday. I hope he sends Eric a nice fruit basket every Christmas.

Program has largely stunk ever since.

Just end it. There’s absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Try again. What’s the harm? Oh no, maybe we suck like we have for the past 20 years? Oh no, not that.

Has anyone enjoyed the last 5 years of SU football? I sure as hell haven’t. Move on, try again.

Precisely.

Dino is a great ambassador for a program and if he wanted to remain in that role where he gives tours of Manley he’s fantastic.

We need a real hc. This shouldn’t be hard. JW is probably hamstrung financially if this isn’t done yet

No way our NIL can be much different than VaTech. We are terrible. Maybe we are better than BC, maybe. This bad was not expected.

This is probably not true; I’d expect NIL correlates closely with football budgets. Va Tech is in the top 4 (actually third) with a large drop from that group (FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, Miami). Syracuse is in the second tier, 9th overall in the ACC and $10-20MM/yr less than the big four. Which makes sense; a 3-4 VT team just played in a sold out stadium, we can’t sell out a stadium ever and attendance plummets if we’re sub-500. Virginia Tech isn’t good, and this game was an embarrassment - but if VT isn’t in the top 25 they are getting a terrible return on their investment.

My SWAG is their NIL pool money is probably 30-50% larger than ours.

So two things - I agree with Cuseregular, we aren’t going to complete for ACC championships. We should be able to compete with our peers and win 6-8 games most years with occasional 5-9-10 win seasons in the mix. We’re not there right now.

And UNC is close to us on budget. I do hope they do leave the ACC for a greener pasture - they will be getting their teeth kicked in regularly, the other schools won’t care about their opinion, and they will regret the move for eternity. (Especially if Duke does the right thing and tells them to go pound sand and refuses to play them regularly in hoops so that rivalry drops off just like Syracuse-Georgetown did in national relevance).

One possibility that has been raised here before - he hoped a quick turnaround here would lead to a bigger P5 job - remember the the “Dino to USC” nonsense? That was his MO at EIU and BGU - wasn’t he HC at each for just 2 years?

Once he realized that this wasn’t going to happen and he was “stuck” in Central NY, the Hawaii/California in him seemed to lose his fire and decided he would just mail it in and collect a check til the University figured out that he was indeed a gimmick HC whose gimmick had been figured out by the college football world.

As has been said here many times, he’s a great representative of the University but it’s no longer enough for him to warrant keeping his job. 8 years of evidence is enough. We are now fully in the “evidence without belief” era.

I don’t think we will ever return to the glory days of the 80s-90s, but seeing Duke and Wake succeed in recent years tells me that we can be a good 7-8 annual wins program with the right coaching hire. Especially with the portal, it shouldn’t take 4-5 years — if we find the right guy.
And didn’t Babers make a comment about Portal/NIL. I believe he should be embracing the portal. We are perfect for portal. Go hard after guys who are unhappy elsewhere because of lack of playing time, too far from home, coaching changes, whatever. You get a kid who I has been in college, hopefully more physically mature , and has opportunity for playing time. Less of a crapshoot than HS recruits. If nothing else, it’s the new normal and Babers not embracing that is wrong. And as someone mentioned earlier, he did bring in some portal guys this year that I thought represented a change, but he still blamed the system. Very Captain Quegg-like

There is none. Being a nice guy doesn’t win games. He is not a good coach, it’s that simple. JW said Cuse was a brand on the rise or whatever, not with this coach it isnt.

Fire him tomorrow, then offer Mullen 5-7 million before the season ends and a better job opens. If you can’t land him I’d like Hartline. Maybe get him before he goes to a bigger program as well.. they need to open the check book up and get a proven coach. Not some up and coming FCS guy.
What’s the Mullen love about? I see it a lot. Someone needs to educate me why he’s the answer.

Come on man, he knows, but one of his only redeeming qualities is not throwing his players under the bus. Just doesn’t want to say that the offensive line is likely the worst in college football history at this level.
Which he is responsible for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom