Vermont Game... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Game...

Let’s give thanks to the Canadians today. Porter and Hiltz both huge in this one. And of course mr Rehfuss. His ability as a feeder makes him a guy the team clearly loves to play with and also looks even better off the dodge this year. Hiltz Rehfuss scanlan is a heck of a line for entertainment value.

Let’s give thanks to the Canadians today. Porter and Hiltz both huge in this one. And of course mr Rehfuss. His ability as a feeder makes him a guy the team clearly loves to play with and also looks even better off the dodge this year. Hiltz Rehfuss scanlan is a heck of a line for entertainment value.

They stand on guard for thee.

canadian flag canada GIF

Sometimes u need to take one of those let them know cheap shot wont be tolerated. Sometimes I read the hate and and criticism and wonder What kind of fan are you. Got beat by army the sky is falling. Go back and read all the hate that is spewed some of u dont even belong on this. U should go make a hate page and rant rant about nothing. U dont and can never understand the true meaning of this game.

i get there is more to this post then the singular comment on the penalty (i dont know about all that, so i cant judge one way or the other), but the penalty was dumb, it's not really debatable.

Let's move past the fact that a minute or two earlier, we abused their goalie (i dont have a problem with either team here - if UVM doesnt want their goalie getting lit up, he shouldnt be running all over the place with the ball), Curry clearly shot on goal after the whistle. In pretty much any sport that involves a goalie, this is a no-no. 88 on UVM, rightfully took exception, hit Curry late and high, and got flagged for it. Scanlan comes over, and gets a couple little digs on 88, right in front of the ref, then takes the slash that draws the flag. Our advantage is wasted, and Scanlan accomplished nothing. I mean, i get what he was trying to do, but ti was dumb, and frankly, not well executed.

You take the kid's number, enjoy your minute of antagonistically well-earned man-up, then get your digs in later when you can avoid/mitigate negative consequences. Scanlan's response was weak -- both mentally and physically.

Having said all of that, I'm happy Scanlan got some of his scoring mojo back today. I though he cleaned up his game a lot, and really rode hard again.

I was not able to watch the game live but caught it on YouTube. Good game by the steam. Sloppy passing and the field seemed slippery - wrong shoes, maybe? Phaup was not himself but next week is a new game.

Porter elevated the keeper standard again. The offense was mostly very good, still don't understand the sloppy passes, SU is usually much crisper, accurate in their passes.

A good win, as any win is a good win. Overall I was very pleased and see this team has potential. At no point did players act like they were flustered and played within themselves.

Sometimes u need to take one of those let them know cheap shot wont be tolerated. Sometimes I read the hate and and criticism and wonder What kind of fan are you. Got beat by army the sky is falling. Go back and read all the hate that is spewed some of u dont even belong on this. U should go make a hate page and rant rant about nothing. U dont and can never understand the true meaning of this game.

Kicking the guys stick from behind doesn’t stick up for your guy. Cmon. Scanlan’s penalty was not for being a tough guy but for taking a cheap act. Stand down, tough guy!

Yes u are right. Glad your not my teammate or friend. I'm sure curry would love u for a teammate. Stand up tough guy!

Everything about that Scanlan penalty sucked. Throwing a candyass’d stick check while being pulled away by a ref is not the kind of “standing up for a teammate” response I’d want.

88 drilled Curry late likely because Curry was the player who wrecked his goalie before and had just taken a borderline late shot after the whistle.

Scanlan eliminated any immediate negative consequence for 88’s payback on Curry.

If I’m 88 next to Scanlan in the box I’m thanking him for letting me take a free shot on his buddy with no downside.

Kicking the guys stick from behind doesn’t stick up for your guy. Cmon. Scanlan’s penalty was not for being a tough guy but for taking a cheap act. Stand down, tough guy!

Yes u are right. Glad your not my teammate or friend. I'm sure curry would love u for a teammate. Stand up tough guy!
Knock it off.

That penalty was unreleaseable on 88. Could have really put the game away with multiple goals.

Scanlan is far from the only guy to do a bonehead thing in the heat of defending a teammate or a testy moment between teams (anyone remember Nate Solomon?). He has not made a habit of doing anything like that so I give him a pass and know he will be more aware now that he actually got a penalty for it.

Saw flashes of the scanlan we know and love in yesterday’s game, a couple nice deceptive shots and a heck of a feed to Rehfuss. Also every game he could have a couple more assists but guys don’t bury for whatever reason. He is just as good a feeder as Rehfuss and Hiltz. Stills a couple highly questionable decisions/low percentage shots early in the shot clock but I want him out there.

Orange did not bring the same energy they did to this game as they did to the UVA game but did enough to win. Offense was fantastic, Rhefuss another great game. Ball movement was good and shooting was spot on. Hiltz is very much the real deal. Porter stood on his head, he makes it look like he’s playing catch out there sometimes.

Defense on the whole left a lot to be desired, some of the worst ground ball played I’ve seen in a long time and they gave up around 50 shots. That’s just not going to get it done most games. Not sure what happened at the face off x. Unfortunately, when Phaup is off it’s really not pretty. Disappointed in the wings, thought they could have played much better. Biggest takeaway though is groundballs, groundballs, groundballs.
I'll say it again. Vermont is very good team, but I just hate be out hustled.

I have been really impressed with Rhefuss these last two games. His passing has been outstanding and he’s proven himself to be multidimensional with his dodging and finishing ability. His incredible behind the back off a fake shot assist to Trimboli gets a lot of attention but that elevator finishing move he put on the UVM goalie was no joke. There were many on this board, myself included, who were pretty ambivalent, or even not happy about him coming back, and now I simply can’t envision this offense without him and I’m already panicking about how the team replaces him next year. I know there’s a lot of season left but the team is so much stronger with him playing like this.

Overall I think the biggest issue the offense will face is picking its spot, and being able to take what the defense gives them. Saw some guys who are used to putting up big points yesterday press a little bit, and it will be hard for guys to take a backseat. Not many defenses will be able to defend all the pieces this team has, but things will fall apart if guys try and do too much.

There is no way they put Scanlan on the second midfield line. Interestingly enough he played his best game of the season being guarded by a long stick.

The defense certainly had a number of bad bounces yesterday, but they also created a good amount of bad luck for themselves. The energy was not the same as it was for the UVA game, which is understandable, but I still would have liked to see the defense play with a bit more of an edge. Wykoff was good and really stayed with his man. Murphy has the bad play where he left his man on the crease but he’s earned a mulligan with his play. Overall the defense plays well in their base set and often don’t get beat 1v1. But good ball movement can really throw them into disarray. I thought they did a good job blocking passes and shots against UVM, but too often I think they are overly reliant on their sticks and don’t move their feet as much as they should. They need to be better at defending with both aspects. I was relieved to hear Desko say a big focus of practice this week would be on groundballs.

Overall I think the biggest issue the offense will face is picking its spot, and being able to take what the defense gives them. Saw some guys who are used to putting up big points yesterday press a little bit, and it will be hard for guys to take a backseat. Not many defenses will be able to defend all the pieces this team has, but things will fall apart if guys try and do too much.

This is an excellent point... and I think it will be as much a challenge for the coaches as for the players. In game adjustments, communicating them to players, and demanding the necessary discipline in a way that doesn't deflate your stars is not an easy task.

Some spirited discussion of this shot going on in the Twitter universe. I think the only other guy I have seen shoot this fast in the dome was Ted Glesener of Army, his brother John had a rocket too. It is also reminiscent of a shot Buttermore had against Hopkins back in 2019. 16-17 yards out and it hits the corner in an instant. Always easier to be complimentary of plays like this when we win the game, unlike that Joe Seider shot for a team that will not be named!

Mitch Wykoff, Defense, Syracuse: The Gettysburg transfer continued his impressive play for the Orange on Saturday, causing two turnovers and scooping up two ground balls while being a force on the back end in their win over Vermont.

Snagged a good one.

Surprised article didnt include Betrand who went 4-1-5 and now leads UVA in goals.

Maryland has been terrific but receiving little contribution from their numerous transfers

Gallagher at 85% so far for ND and returning fogo Leonard at 77%. Might be comp but might be problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom