Waiters to the Heat | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Waiters to the Heat

I could not disagree more and I watch the NBA quite a bit. Waiters has improved his D sure but he still has a long way to go. You would also be hard pressed to find another player who poses after a horrendous 3-point brick attempt, or pouts/complains to the refs as much as Dion. Dion's basically a role player these days as well so even more dumb the way he acts. Oladipo is better in every facet of the game. That's just a fact. Now Oladipo IS a very good defender. Dion's PER is below 10! Oladipo is probably one of the top 5 speed/athletic guys in the NBA. Now OkC has two of those guys in the backcourt. I think that backcourt could be scary good. It is what it is with Dion.

Agree to disagree. Think you're looking at the Dion from last year. I watch most Magic games, and I just gotta disagree. Loved VO, but not sad to see him go. He was a master of bricking open threes himself.

Honestly, I think that the truth is somewhere in the middle with respect to DW. There is ZERO DOUBT that he came into the league as an attitude problem who didn't along well with teammates, sulked when he didn't get the ball, played mostly matador defense, etc.

But I think he is maturing, and this year with OKC was a step in the right direction. Sadly, the untimely death of his brother may have contributed to him getting his shiz together.

While I don't believe that he should be held to the standard of his first two years alone, it remains to be seen whether he'll build on the solid postseason he had in 2016. Here's hoping he can.

Agreed. I honestly am not 'hating' on the guy and wish him well. He was one of my favorite Syracuse players of all time who had a short stint on the hill before going pro. I just see what I see watching him play and try to be honest sans the orange goggle approach.

Adding some realism to over the top comments on Dion, or questioning some excuses for Dion's poor play, is not "hating" or wishing him not to do well.

Just recently we had threads that said Dion is as good or better than Kyrie and that Dion is getting the max. These were simply ridiculous statements to anybody who watches the NBA. To claim that criticism of these types of comments means that you do not watch the NBA is totally absurd.

Before that were the silly excuses... the prominent one that I attacked in the past was that he was not getting enough shots. The guy has fairly high usage and has had some of the lowest TS% in the league year after year. The issue was certainly not getting more volume. Not surprisingly, he finally turned it around to a certain degree with OKC in the second half this year, when his usage went down and he concentrated on showing a more rounded game.

Adding some realism to over the top comments on Dion, or questioning some excuses for Dion's poor play, is not "hating" or wishing him not to do well.

Just recently we had threads that said Dion is as good or better than Kyrie and that Dion is getting the max. These were simply ridiculous statements to anybody who watches the NBA. To claim that criticism of these types of comments means that you do not watch the NBA is totally absurd.

Before that were the silly excuses... the prominent one that I attacked in the past was that he was not getting enough shots. The guy has fairly high usage and has had some of the lowest TS% in the league year after year. The issue was certainly not getting more volume. Not surprisingly, he finally turned it around to a certain degree with OKC in the second half this year, when his usage went down and he concentrated on showing a more rounded game.

I don't even really watch the NBA and I find it hard to believe that someone could make that comparison.

Some of these opinions about Waiters are hilarious. Can tell many don't watch the NBA. Waiters is a very good defender. He has matured every year. His attitude isn't all that bad, no different than most NBA players. Certainly no Timmy D. He's going to get paid, and deservedly so. Not sure why there's so many negative opinions towards him.

He has grown so much since the kid we saw as a freshman. Plus, he has worked his ass off to improve. Hope he ends up in Dallas who seem to be very interested. As a Magic fan, IMO, he's better than Oladipo. I watch as many games as possible when it comes to the Magic, Knicks, and SU players. Hard to believe some of the opinions on Dion.

Yeah, the 'on-court demeanor' comments are off base. Maybe he had a bad attitude at points earlier in his career, but he's definitely matured since then. Off the bench, he was essential in OKC's playoff run. TS% at 52%, 3 boards, 3 assists vs. 1.5 turnovers in the playoffs. That's not half bad from a backup SG who can defend as well as Waiters can.

Yeah, the 'on-court demeanor' comments are off base. Maybe he had a bad attitude at points earlier in his career, but he's definitely matured since then. Off the bench, he was essential in OKC's playoff run. TS% at 52%, 3 boards, 3 assists vs. 1.5 turnovers in the playoffs. That's not half bad from a backup SG who can defend as well as Waiters can.

They aren't "off base." It's factual if you watch him play. What else could it be if he can't find a home yet? Shooting is a problem as well. I think he is dangerously close to becoming a D-League or overseas vagabond. Just my $.02.

At this point, he may be better off singing a 1 yr deal to improve his stock for next year's round of free agency...

They aren't "off base." It's factual if you watch him play. What else could it be if he can't find a home yet? Shooting is a problem as well. I think he is dangerously close to becoming a D-League or overseas vagabond. Just my $.02.

It's a matter of opinion, not fact. I watch the NBA, so I've seen him play enough, and I've arrived at a different opinion of his attitude than you.

It's a matter of opinion, not fact. I watch the NBA, so I've seen him play enough, and I've arrived at a different opinion of his attitude than you.

Four seasons vs three playoff series... One of which he wasn't even that good.

I don't even really watch the NBA and I find it hard to believe that someone could make that comparison.

I think when the Cavs were down 3-1 to the Warriors there was a post that said something like the Cavs would be better off with Waiters instead of Dion, which, yeah.

This Dion Waiters great playoff run has really taken on a life of it's own. In 18 playoff games he had a 52 true shooting% and a PER of 9.3. 9.3! In the last 4 games of the Warriors series, he shot 6-25. In the Dallas series he was really good, 26 minutes per game and a 62.4% true shooting. When the competition went up a notch and they faced the Spurs/Warriors, he was back down to a 48% true shooting.

Dion one year, 2.9 million to the Heat.

Yikes. Thought he'd get a lot more than that...

Should have took his qualifying offer before it was rescinded.

He should fire his agent after that debacle.

This makes me feel pretty confident about my bet that I made with some of my other Syracuse friends that MCW would make more in his 2nd contract than Dion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom