Watching the scrimmage on TV | Syracusefan.com

Watching the scrimmage on TV

SWC75

Bored Historian
... I liked a move McCullough made on the baseline past a defender. He put the ball on the floor, protected it with his body and moved easily past the guy for a lay-up. it wasn't dazzling but I haven't seen a Syracuse big man do that in a while. It was a Carmelo type move. Joseph seemed active on defense but did little to break things down or set them up on the offensive end. The most impressive player was Christmas who ran the court and was also very active in the half-court. he looked ready for a bust-out season.

Other than Patterson, who hit a couple, all jump shots were bricks. The alumni shot better than the current guys.

... I liked a move McCullough made on the baseline past a defender. He put the ball on the floor, protected it with his body and moved easily past the guy for a lay-up. it wasn't dazzling but I haven't seen a Syracuse big man do that in a while. It was a Carmelo type move. Joseph seemed active on defense but did little to break things down or set them up on the offensive end. The most impressive player was Christmas who ran the court and was also very active in the half-court. he looked ready for a bust-out season.

Other than Patterson, who hit a couple, all jump shots were bricks. The alumni shot better than the current guys.
cm - national player of the year

Nice to see the improvement with Rakeem. I think after doubting his abilities for 3 years and am starting to come around. Missed a couple chip shots in the first half but he looked more comfortable taking shots in the paint and not as mechanical. Hopefully a sign of better things to come. Gbinje also looked like a much improved version. I could see Gbinje and Cooney being our best backcourt.

Nice to see the improvement with Rakeem. I think after doubting his abilities for 3 years and am starting to come around. Missed a couple chip shots in the first half but he looked more comfortable taking shots in the paint and not as mechanical. Hopefully a sign of better things to come. Gbinje also looked like a much improved version. I could see Gbinje and Cooney being our best backcourt.

Gbinjie played point out of necessity. He's a good player but if he is forced to play point for extended minutes...long season my friend.

I also look for G-man to have a big year. I think he deferred to his teammates a lot last year. He's capable of more than he's showed. The fact that his best game was the last one vs. Dayton might have given us a hint.

The caveat being it's really not prudent to make any definitive conclusions when watching a midnight madness scrimmage, here's my take nonetheless: Rakeem is poised to have the kind of year that we've all been hoping for, McCullough is a big time talent and we will need his season to be more like Carmelo rather than Donte but it will likely be someplace in between the two. Silent G has also improved and will be relied upon heavily to score and to be the guy that is used to cover in areas where we might struggle.

Okoboh, like many big guys, is going to be somewhat of a project although we need some semblance of a steep learning curve from him since after Rak...ugh! We are going to miss BMK in a big way.

I feel for Kaleb Joseph, the kid is going to have an enormous responsibility placed on his shoulders and he is going to be unfairly compared to Ennis and MCW. His upside is that he seems to have a great attitude, is up to the task, likely will not be a one and done (hooray for that!!!) and his style of play in the long run is going to be just the thing that Syracuse Basketball needs. Given time, he will be a great and impactful point guard. Cooney's season will depend largely in part as to being able to get some 3 pt shooting from some other players and him being able to get open looks rather than running around like he's on fire.

Roberson, didn't really get a feel for where he was at since we didn't seem much of him. Another poster said he cut his hand. Hope it's a minor thing because we are going to need a significant contribution from him.

Both BJ and Buss showed that they can be contributors and we will need some good play from both of them to have a really good season. I think Buss has been underestimated by many and will be worth his weight in gold should we have other guards struggle this season.

All in all it was just great to see the team suited up and knowing that the real deal is just around the corner. And, as always, no matter what this Orange fan is going to support them every single second of the season!!! I think we are going to enjoy what we see as the season unfolds.

Last edited:
The caveat being it's really not prudent to make any definitive conclusions when watching a midnight madness scrimmage, here's my take nonetheless: Rakeem is poised to have the kind of year that we've all been hoping for, McCullough is a big time talent and we will need his season to be more like Carmelo rather than Donte but it will likely be someplace in between the two. Silent G has also improved and will be relied upon heavily to score and to be the guy that is used to cover in areas where we might struggle.

Okoboh, like many big guys, is going to be somewhat of a project although we need some semblance of a steep learning curve from him since after Rak...ugh! We are going to miss BMK in a big way.

I feel for Kaleb Joseph, the kid is going to have an enormous responsibility placed on his shoulders and he is going to be unfairly compared to Ennis and MCW. His upside is that he seems to have a great attitude, is up to the task, likely will not be a one and done (hooray for that!!!) and his style of play in the long run is going to be just the thing that Syracuse Basketball needs. Given time, he will be a great and impactful point guard. Cooney's season will depend largely in part as to being able to get some 3 pt shooting from some other players and him being able to get open looks rather than running around like he's on fire.

Roberson, didn't really get a feel for where he was at since we didn't seem much of him. Another poster said he cut his hand. Hope it's a minor thing because we are going to need a significant contribution from him.

All in all it was just great to see the team suited up and knowing that the real deal is just around the corner. And, as always, no matter what this Orange fan is going to support them every single second of the season!!! I think we are going to enjoy what we see as the season unfolds.

I dread one and dones at the end of the season but I like them at the beginning. If Joseph and McCullough proves to be a one and done we should be really good. But I'd sure like to see how good they could be- for us- next year.

I know most Orange fans were salivating last night when they saw the likes of McCullough... NBA scouts will be no different. After some exposure and a few big games by CM... the draft boards will be replete with sterling proclamations of McCullough as penultimate draft stock fodder.

As for Kaleb Joseph, I'd really be surprised but I'm in agreement with you in that if both are one in dones we are in for one hell of a season.

I also look for G-man to have a big year. I think he deferred to his teammates a lot last year. He's capable of more than he's showed. The fact that his best game was the last one vs. Dayton might have given us a hint.
Agreed. I think he'll start too.

I dread one and dones at the end of the season but I like them at the beginning. If Joseph and McCullough proves to be a one and done we should be really good. But I'd sure like to see how good they could be- for us- next year.

Joseph a one and done???

We have only had three (3) one and dones in the history of the program. All were top flight five (5) star recruits. Joseph does not "qualify." McCullough does.

Joseph a one and done???

We have only had three (3) one and dones in the history of the program. All were top flight five (5) star recruits. Joseph does not "qualify." McCullough does.

That wasn't a prediction. It was a reaction to the Flacusian saying that he was glad Joseph would not be a one and doner. I don't expect him to be one either. I was just commenting that the idea of having a one and doner is exciting in October, scary in march.

I think after doubting his abilities for 3 years and am starting to come around.
I never doubted his ability - just his consistent effort/focus/desire and his playing defense without fouling. Hopefully he has finally overcome those things for his senior year.

That one was about from the same spot.

Thanks for sharing that link. I keep thinking that shot was from much further out. I do remember, however, how wonderful the feeling was when JW nailed that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom