Waters chat from today... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Waters chat from today...

Why do they lose eligibility? Where is the logic in it? Taking a year away makes no sense to me. In general its because they are saying the player basically retook a year of highschool after coming over. These are generally not native english speaking kids so they likely need that year. Not to mention american players have been prepping with no lost eligibility for ages up on ages. Now they reclassify backwards when ever they feel like it and never a word from the NCAA. It really is a horrible injustice to the kids.
Yep. One of these foreign kids needs to file a massive law suit against the NCAA because the only language they understand is financial pain. That is the only thing that gets them to change their miserable behavior.

My nephew, an American student, was held back a year in kindergarten due to being small and having a later birth date. Then he became a hockey player. He went to boarding school in high school, as all of the college hockey players come out of the Canadian Jrs or the US prep schools. All prep schools hold the hockey players back a year because of the physical nature of the game. This was a nephew who could have gone to Harvard, so absolutely no valid academic reasons for this. By the time he started college as a Division 1 hockey player he was almost 20 years old. This was the standard for all hockey players. They are mostly 24 when they graduate from college. So how does the NCAA consider ice hockey and basketball so differently? Both under their jurisdiction. Makes no sense..
It's plain as black and white.

On Jones I'm going to say no if Mike Waters is correct on what he said yesterday -

derekbrower20 hours ago

Mike - What's your take on why SU is supposedly showing serious interest in Brodricks Jones? Given the scholarship limitations, why are they entertaining someone who is *maybe* a 3-star recruit. (Yes, I know one service has him at 4-stars, but most seem to have him as a 2 or 3 star recruit).

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com20 hours ago

@derekbrower

A kid expresses interest. You almost have to check him out. You talk to his coaches, etc.

I'd be stunned if it goes any further than that. Memphis, Providence and UTEP have much greater need for him.

DJ's knees are not proven. Chino can't play 40 minutes. I think we have a bigger need than Mike's perception.

Mike is closer to the program than the typical fan is.

If he's not worried about DC's knees, it's only because the coaching staff isn't worried.

Joan Cofrancesco: "how is coleman doing?...will he play this year"

Mike Waters: "I'm holding on judgments about Dajuan until the fall. Need to see him play multiple days in a row."

What exactly are you being critical of in my post?

- Giles ain't coming

-Daigne's issues are due to transcripts

-Lydon and Richardson are the two freshmen most likely to contribue

-Coleman is the key for next season

I have become aware It is not exactly Diagne transcripts!

Appears the NCAA has a bugger up it's butt for SU.
I know what your moniker stands for. I've used that acronym many times in the past, if it stands for what I think it stands for.

Disturbing takeaway for me: Mike sees this team's ceiling at around 22 wins... yikes.

He made reference to "if" Coleman comes back for a fifth year. I could see dc deciding it's time to start making money
I'm on record that if DC has a healthy and productive year (10 & 8) then he is gone. No reason to risk another injury when he has draftable ability. As much as I would like a couple healthy years out of him at SU I really want the kid to get a payday.

I'm on record that if DC has a healthy and productive year (10 & 8) then he is gone. No reason to risk another injury when he has draftable ability. As much as I would like a couple healthy years out of him at SU I really want the kid to get a payday.
He may leave even if he isn't that productive. I don't think his stock will get much higher in either case and he's on track to get his degree.

How about the kids who's parents hold them back a grade to gain a competitive advantage in sports. They don't lose any eligibilityy...wth
My nephew, an American student, was held back a year in kindergarten due to being small and having a later birth date. Then he became a hockey player. He went to boarding school in high school, as all of the college hockey players come out of the Canadian Jrs or the US prep schools. All prep schools hold the hockey players back a year because of the physical nature of the game. This was a nephew who could have gone to Harvard, so absolutely no valid academic reasons for this. By the time he started college as a Division 1 hockey player he was almost 20 years old. This was the standard for all hockey players. They are mostly 24 when they graduate from college. So how does the NCAA consider ice hockey and basketball so differently? Both under their jurisdiction. Makes no sense..

It all depends on when you do it. My son, who just completed 6th grade, plays lacrosse. His club coach was mentioning to a group of us that the new trend is to reclassify and repeat 6th. Considering my son is still as of today 11 (birthday in August) and is the youngest in his class, I would consider holding him back if he really showed the talent necessary to make it to the next level, but how the heck do I evaluate that at 11????

I found this article about it.

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boy..._staying_back_in_middle_school_to_get_an.html

It really needs to be done during middle school so it doesn't look so suspicious. Or something.

It all depends on when you do it. My son, who just completed 6th grade, plays lacrosse. His club coach was mentioning to a group of us that the new trend is to reclassify and repeat 6th. Considering my son is still as of today 11 (birthday in August) and is the youngest in his class, I would consider holding him back if he really showed the talent necessary to make it to the next level, but how the heck do I evaluate that at 11????

I found this article about it.

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boy..._staying_back_in_middle_school_to_get_an.html

It really needs to be done during middle school so it doesn't look so suspicious. Or something.

I agree. Our youngest was a pretty good student and athlete but his birthday was in November. He was a decent size till middle school when he definitely fell behind size-wise. In the beginning of 9th grade, 2 different coaches told us we made a mistake not holding him back in middle school. Never thought of it, never knew it was done until we spoke to others about it. We knew that parents held kids back from starting school but not purposely after starting school. Had to wonder how these kids handle being held back? How would the child, teachers, ex-classmates and new classmates react particularly if the kid was a good student? Wouldn't it be sending a bad message? Well he played sports and did well but did grow 3 inches after high school which would have been a big plus competing in high school with many kids who were up to 2 years older than he was. (he didn't turn 18 till November of his freshman year in college) Something about it just seems convoluted though...

I know what your moniker stands for. I've used that acronym many times in the past, if it stands for what I think it stands for.
You are correct.

I like to think of it as kind of a Big Lebowski attitude.
For those encountering this acronym for the first time, here are two clues
1) It describes a Zen state of mind
2) dilli = do I look like I

Side Note: I have a brother Bill.
One of his friends used to call him dilli.

I use it because it's generally self-descriptive and my surname begins with Gaf.

Last edited:
I agree. Our youngest was a pretty good student and athlete but his birthday was in November. He was a decent size till middle school when he definitely fell behind size-wise. In the beginning of 9th grade, 2 different coaches told us we made a mistake not holding him back in middle school. Never thought of it, never knew it was done until we spoke to others about it. We knew that parents held kids back from starting school but not purposely after starting school. Had to wonder how these kids handle being held back? How would the child, teachers, ex-classmates and new classmates react particularly if the kid was a good student? Wouldn't it be sending a bad message? Well he played sports and did well but did grow 3 inches after high school which would have been a big plus competing in high school with many kids who were up to 2 years older than he was. (he didn't turn 18 till November of his freshman year in college) Something about it just seems convoluted though...
Whose benefit was being realized by holding the kid back in middle school; the kid or the parents?

I've been away from the board this week, but I'm assuming Mike was once again unable to conceal his contempt for the program. ;)

This was an interesting exchange from Mike's lunchtime question session showing a bit of his true colors. Mike had no comment on what OrangeIsCuseTown said. Maybe there should be a feature article comparing what the NCAA is doing with Syracuse as opposed to UNC.

upstateupdate
Whats going to happen to your alma mater and how will that effect the over all ACC if they are weakened?

Mike Waters
Remember Sherman's march through Atlanta? I think the NCAA is about to re-enact that as it comes into Chapel Hill.
If UNC takes a big hit, the ACC will be weakened. This isn't just any ol' program we're talking about here. This is one of the ACC's traditional standard-bearers. The ACC will still be a tough league, but it'll be down a man.

Fearless62836
I think you're crazy if you think the NCAA will impose any penalty at all on UNC.
UNC is part of the Good Ole Boy Network.

OrangeIsCuseTown
have a choice. They've already received a 1-year post season ban from the governing body or some such... the NCAA literally is not in a position to let them off the hook, due to how thorough the report is about their made up classes.
I doubt they'll get the death penalty like they should however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom