We scored 62 points | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We scored 62 points

I think we actually averaged fewer ppg than last year. Just sayin
Did we have the monumental injuries last season PLUS a new HC for the players to adjust to?

Really this program has a way with the most unlikely QBs. Like what's his name, the Dook B-Ball player who transferred here for grad school and switched to FB because he had no B-Ball eligibility? I subconsciously block his name, I think of him as The Flopper or Mr Floppy Bunny Ears or whatnot, but DAMNED if he hardly EVER flopped on the gridiron; he might have made the NFL with one more year as our QB.

There's an athlete for you. When he plays fair, that is.
Paulus and he was a far better football player than he was a basketball player. He was national Gatorade player of the year at QB.

Did we have the monumental injuries last season PLUS a new HC for the players to adjust to?
We had monumental injuries and a new OC after McF***it left. We still never scored 61 points.

I think the real issue is that we gained a lot of yards, but didn't score many points. Nothing to be gained by fooling ourselves. We couldn't run the ball at all and one-trick ponies don't win at this level. We have a ways to go, maybe another two years before we can compete consistently.
Glass half empty. I suspect other things are on your mind besides sports.

Paulus and he was a far better football player than he was a basketball player. He was national Gatorade player of the year at QB.
Thanks. I could have googled his name but calling him Mr Floppy Bunny Ears was more fun.

I really DO have a mental block about his name because I'm much more a B-Ball fan than F-Ball and the incessant flopping cost not only us offensive fouls but many teams. I don't think we were in the ACC at the time but the Dook players getting away with it caused imitators, and we got the short end of most calls. Paulus was just the WORST offender.

And even for the National Gatorade Player of the Year, to NOT play your sport regularly for four seasons but play an entirely different one day in and out, then do what Paulus did is amazing.

I am all for shootouts every now and then, but when your team gives up 76 points, its embarrassing.
Please stop beating the horse. It's not only dead, but it's been skinned, cooked, canned and served to Fido!

Glass half empty. I suspect other things are on your mind besides sports.
Don't think so. We were 89th in total scoring offense (25.7 avg ppg) in the nation, despite being 11th in passing offense. (last year we were 77th with 27.3). We were 115th in rushing offense.

Yards between the 20's mean very little. We had 100 teams ahead of us in trips to the red zone. We were good when we got there, but we just didn't get there enough.

Without a running game the passing game is harder as the field shrinks. If we can't run block we can't win in a P5 conference.

Only 76, not 77.;)

We score 61 with a QB who was a 4th string walk-on two years ago. (No dis to Zack, who played a fantastic game!). We lose by two scores and beat the spread. Most people (be honest!) saw this as a 42-10 rout.

Man, just look at the attention this game is gonna get!
Actually 69. Don't forget on TD was a pick 6. Not on the defense...

Don't think so. We were 89th in total scoring offense (25.7 avg ppg) in the nation, despite being 11th in passing offense. (last year we were 77th with 27.3). We were 115th in rushing offense.

Yards between the 20's mean very little. We had 100 teams ahead of us in trips to the red zone. We were good when we got there, but we just didn't get there enough.

Without a running game the passing game is harder as the field shrinks. If we can't run block we can't win in a P5 conference.
Scoring offense is not always scored by the offense. It's a lousy start to measure the offense because of overtime, kick returns and turnover returns and even safeties

Yards per play is the measure. Not perfect but better

Losing 21-6 doesn't get you laughed at by the college football world.

Losing 21-6 you've only scored 22.22% of the total points. Losing 17-3, you only have 15% of the total points scored. Those are much bigger a** kickings than the 44% (look at that!) of the total points we ended up scoring.

The defense is going to be better with more experience and hopefully more depth next year.

I think we'll be better next year. Maybe 6-6 and a better running game seem like realistic goals.

I hope we will be better, but I am not really expecting much improvement, especially if Dungey is done. Losing AET is huge. We lose his 1,482 yards, 14 TDs - that 32's% of our total points (84 of our 308 points). Not to mention the effect of the attention he got leaving others open.

We were basically outscored by an average of two touchdowns per game. Five games were simply not even competitive and we played against second teams for a quarter or more.

We could take a nice jump forward or a small one backwards, depending on whether or not ED is back as well as injuries etc.

I really think we need at least another decent recruiting class (or two) before we can get our hopes up too high.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^Says it all. Let's be real about this season. A great beginning, and so much better than many anticipated last summer.
As long as we are being real, one game against the 109th defense with the 127th (out of 128) best pass defense is nothing to get overly excited about. For the season we gained a lot of yardage between the 20's but actually scored fewer ppg than last year and we ranked 89th in scoring offense nationally. Yes, we were 11th in passing offense, which only illustrates the importance of a balanced attack as we had no run game (115th).

Just remember that 32% of our points and 38% of our passing yards is gone next year.

I am as big a Babers fan as anyone., but I think most underestimate the difficulty he faces with this program. I am keeping my expectations for the next couple of years in check and looking down the road to sustained success.

Forgive me if it's come up already...

Have we scored anywhere near that number since our shellacking of Miami 66-13, against a D-1 school that is?

the big thing was the great 5 td game yesterday, most of the plays were system based short throws and not the bomb over the top throws. much easier to find that WR than a Home Run dude. But we need to have a HR threat too.

Scoring offense is not always scored by the offense. It's a lousy start to measure the offense because of overtime, kick returns and turnover returns and even safeties

how about points per snap ? cuz pitt scored 76 points on 59 snaps. that's 1.29 points PER SNAP ! that is woefully bad defense. matadorian in essence.

how about points per snap ? cuz pitt scored 76 points on 59 snaps. that's 1.29 points PER SNAP ! that is woefully bad defense. matadorian in essence.
Counting defensive scores is dumb. Obviously the yards per play was atrocious.

We also didn't have a good kicker this year, and need a change for next year, that left a lot of points off the scoreboard.

We averaged 51. yards per play last year, 5.4 this year, an improvement but not a huge one.

Scoring still wins game. Last year we rushed for 15 TDs, passed for 19 and scored 2 each on interceptions, fumbles and kick returns. Cole Murphy kicked 16 field goals and 37 extra points.

This year we again rushed for 15 touchdowns but passed for 24. We had one pick 6 and nothing from fumbles or kick returns. Murphy only kicked 10 field goals and 36 extra points. So this offense produced 5 more touchdowns in 12 games. Again, an improvement but not a huge one. It will be interesting to see if there's a much bigger increase next year.

If we'd scored as many offensive touchdowns as this year but got as many kicking points as Murphy got last year and as many defensive and special teams scores as last year, we would have scored 355 points in 12 games, 29.6 per game. there are 128 FBS teams. The 64th best team averaged 29.9 ppg, so i guess you could say we've achieve a sort of inconsistent mediocrity.

I think Dino's defense is a crock of crap. There I said it. This belief that we have to run some BS bend but don't break Tampa-2 style as a compliment to this offense is something I still have a major problem with. Having a good offense and a good defense are by no means mutually exclusive things. I see some people claiming how much fun this was to watch. Was it? Was it really better than a close-fought defensive 21-17 type of game? Not for me. For me it was like watching a hamster trying to run in his wheel. No matter how fast or how well we ran, we didn't have the ability catch Pitt and it felt that way the entire game. I didn't even cheer for our last 2-3 TDs, why not? Because it was inevitable that Pitt would score in the next 2-3 plays. Sorry but I'd rather have offensive troubles but a defense that can keep you in games, because if the defense is keeping you in it, then all it takes is one ST play, one pick-6, one anything to turn the game on it's head. What we have instead is complete hopelessness based on the fact that it doesn't matter if we score because we can't stop them from scoring in the next 5 plays. I suppose had we been playing ahead instead of from behind it would be pretty exciting, but Saturday's game was like watching a deer who feel through the ice that kept trying to climb out.

I think Dino's defense is a crock of crap. There I said it. This belief that we have to run some BS bend but don't break Tampa-2 style as a compliment to this offense is something I still have a major problem with. Having a good offense and a good defense are by no means mutually exclusive things. I see some people claiming how much fun this was to watch. Was it? Was it really better than a close-fought defensive 21-17 type of game? Not for me. For me it was like watching a hamster trying to run in his wheel. No matter how fast or how well we ran, we didn't have the ability catch Pitt and it felt that way the entire game. I didn't even cheer for our last 2-3 TDs, why not? Because it was inevitable that Pitt would score in the next 2-3 plays. Sorry but I'd rather have offensive troubles but a defense that can keep you in games, because if the defense is keeping you in it, then all it takes is one ST play, one pick-6, one anything to turn the game on it's head. What we have instead is complete hopelessness based on the fact that it doesn't matter if we score because we can't stop them from scoring in the next 5 plays. I suppose had we been playing ahead instead of from behind it would be pretty exciting, but Saturday's game was like watching a deer who feel through the ice that kept trying to climb out.

It's a lot easier to fix a defense then it is an offense. I saw way more positives on Saturday than most of the people on this board. It doesn't matter what scheme you run, you can't teach speed.

It's a lot easier to fix a defense then it is an offense. I saw way more positives on Saturday than most of the people on this board. It doesn't matter what scheme you run, you can't teach speed.
No but you can scheme to slow it down, Shafer did it all the time and kept us in games. If it's so easy to fix defense then why is Dino's always so bad? In arguably his best season as a HC, his MAC Championship, his defense was ranked 115th in the country. We can have both, not mutually exclusive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom