We scored 62 points | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We scored 62 points

I hope we will be better, but I am not really expecting much improvement, especially if Dungey is done. Losing AET is huge. We lose his 1,482 yards, 14 TDs - that 32's% of our total points (84 of our 308 points). Not to mention the effect of the attention he got leaving others open.

We were basically outscored by an average of two touchdowns per game. Five games were simply not even competitive and we played against second teams for a quarter or more.

We could take a nice jump forward or a small one backwards, depending on whether or not ED is back as well as injuries etc.

I really think we need at least another decent recruiting class (or two) before we can get our hopes up too high.

I don't think this is the right way to think about it. This offense throws the ball to 4 WR. That production doesn't disappear. This system has had record breaking outside WR's everywhere it's deployed. AET made the most of it and is special - but I think his loss is being overblown.

- this O system has been operating inefficiently all year (yards not translating to points); Babers has said it will mid way through this season.
- one of the inefficiencies is presnap penalties that killed drives; cut that in half
- we had a very bad running game. If we can add that in the offseason - our points will start to match the yards
- much does rely on ED IMO. But I trust the staff and they will have an offseason to get right

We averaged 51. yards per play last year, 5.4 this year, an improvement but not a huge one.

Scoring still wins game. Last year we rushed for 15 TDs, passed for 19 and scored 2 each on interceptions, fumbles and kick returns. Cole Murphy kicked 16 field goals and 37 extra points.

This year we again rushed for 15 touchdowns but passed for 24. We had one pick 6 and nothing from fumbles or kick returns. Murphy only kicked 10 field goals and 36 extra points. So this offense produced 5 more touchdowns in 12 games. Again, an improvement but not a huge one. It will be interesting to see if there's a much bigger increase next year.

If we'd scored as many offensive touchdowns as this year but got as many kicking points as Murphy got last year and as many defensive and special teams scores as last year, we would have scored 355 points in 12 games, 29.6 per game. there are 128 FBS teams. The 64th best team averaged 29.9 ppg, so i guess you could say we've achieve a sort of inconsistent mediocrity.

Given where we've been in the last 15, average is a huge improvement.

And I think people are still missing a major point: tempo gives both teams more possessions in a game. If your D is worse than your offense is good you see some ugliness. We were waiting all season to see the yards turn into points. Last game, last Q: 27 points.

I don't think this is the right way to think about it. This offense throws the ball to 4 WR. That production doesn't disappear. This system has had record breaking outside WR's everywhere it's deployed. AET made the most of it and is special - but I think his loss is being overblown.

- this O system has been operating inefficiently all year (yards not translating to points); Babers has said it will mid way through this season.
- one of the inefficiencies is presnap penalties that killed drives; cut that in half
- we had a very bad running game. If we can add that in the offseason - our points will start to match the yards
- much does rely on ED IMO. But I trust the staff and they will have an offseason to get right
I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong.

The loss of ED, Brisley and AET would seem to be pretty significant, however.

In the final analysis, I think it is easier on the psyche to have lowered expectations where SZu football us concerned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom