We won. That is all that matters right now | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We won. That is all that matters right now

I disagree. I think Judah was the worst. He just could never stay in front of his man.
He was bad too. It was a complete breakdown. I like what Red has done this year and I get Taylor has lost his shot, but I would’ve played him more for defense because he’s guaranteed to try on that end compared to the rest of the guys.

He was bad too. It was a complete breakdown. I like what Red has done this year and I get Taylor has lost his shot, but I would’ve played him more for defense because he’s guaranteed to try on that end compared to the rest of the guys.

Yep Taylor was having a good game and deserved a shot given the matador d from the guards. I’ve noticed when Judah D’s up JJ follows suit and the same in reverse. It’s really a bummer Chance got hurt - kid lives for defense and would set the standard for on ball D.

Looking at the play by play.

We went + 2 without Bell in the 1st half
We went -4 without Bell in the 2nd half

We won by 3 and he played 38 mins. I’m not seeing how they got +9 at all. Not doubting you saw it somewhere

I went thru the play by play and got Bell at +7.

AA is super slow to make obvious adjustments. Playing M2M, Brown’s man repeatedly goes to the left corner & just stands there. Brown is out of position to rebound, block shots, steal or block out. Bell’s man goes to the top of the key & ND repeatedly drives to the hoop for layups. Bell can’t stop anyone & can’t rebound. Over & over & over. AA doesn’t adjust & lets Bell get beat like a dead horse.
What adjustment were you looking for exactly? Should he have put Carey in to shut that down or pull Benny back off the street? Ahh Hima was the answer! It’s just so obvious.

If someone’s “All American” sport wasn’t BB then it doesn’t mean they know more about BB than those of us whose sport WAS BB
Hah. You sound like Kenny Powers.

We can whine. Or we can go to the hospital to have our hearts looked at. I know I have to.
But a win is a win and it is win number 18. I hope our guys learned a little something today.
It has to do with foot on the...
team needs blowouts if they wanna improve their metrics

let a perfect chance for an easy win slip away today

What adjustment were you looking for exactly? Should he have put Carey in to shut that down or pull Benny back off the street? Ahh Hima was the answer! It’s just so obvious.
You’re right, it’s simply impossible for a team to shutdown the high ball screen.

Most of Shrewsburrys threes came with a face in his hand a couple clang out and the turnstyle D doesn't look that bad.

Well, obviously it was a seesaw. We went from cruising mode to needing the life jacket mode.

There were definitely some positives:

1. I like Chris Bell's progression. He scored 18 points efficiently including 4 for 6 from trey range. He contested shots on D and had 2 blocks. He fought on the Boards and ended up with 4. He is slowly and steadily improving in that regard. In crunchtime he grabbed that key board and nailed the two freebies. He was my player of the game.
2. Justin moved well without the ball and shot a perfect 4 for 4 from in close and ended up with ten points. His O confidence is slowly increasing. Somehow he got zero boards though I cant say he wasnt trying.
3. Judah hit 333 - three steals, three assists, and three boards to go with his efficient 21. Nice game.
4. Maliq was maliqqing - 14 and 7 to go with five dimes and 2 blocks. Also very solid.
5. JJ and Cope - Neither was terrible, but neither was near their best. I really wanted JJ to game out against his old team. Cope did have a key defend on the late game trey attempt that might have tied it up.
6. Cuffe and Carey - The C boys gave us some minutes - I thought a few too many on the court together when Dame rallied just before halftime. They need to be separated - lose too much O when they are on the court together.

Though we can look at individuals and say everybody was OK to good, somehow that disregards the end of first half and almost entire second half collapse on the D end. It looked like we went from coasting to panicking on D. Just lost the first half mojo and never got it back though we re-grouped just enough to hang on.

What does everyone think Red should have done differently in the second half? Please provide your thoughts.
I have a couple really minor issues, but I am in full support of him in general.

I thought we needed Q in the game sooner in the second half. Like, 2 possessions in. We needed to score to stem the tide.

And I didn’t like the play design on the possession after the shot clock mistakenly was reset. :05 on the clock and run a play to inbound the ball to Maliq 30 feet from the basket?

I go back and forth on the “foul up 3 choice”. This team is so brain dead we’d end up giving up a 4 point play. But I certainly support in general, the foul up three crowd.

If you had told me Oct 1 that Westry and McLeod would suffer season ending injuries and Benny would get tossed in February and we’d be 18-10….I’d have signed on the dotted line immediately.

I know the losses have been bad, and this team plays in wicked streaks, but Red has done a great job in my opinion. I really didn’t think 20 wins was in play this season.

Being at games and watching him on the sideline interacting with players has been impressive. No obvious late game mistakes that have cost us. Showing us a decent m2m defense and the flexibility to switch defenses has been refreshing.

There’s nothing that I’ve seen at this point that screams “red flag”. Next year I will have greater expectations, and I think his boss will too.

I have a couple really minor issues, but I am in full support of him in general.

I thought we needed Q in the game sooner in the second half. Like, 2 possessions in. We needed to score to stem the tide.

And I didn’t like the play design on the possession after the shot clock mistakenly was reset. :05 on the clock and run a play to inbound the ball to Maliq 30 feet from the basket?

I go back and forth on the “foul up 3 choice”. This team is so brain dead we’d end up giving up a 4 point play. But I certainly support in general, the foul up three crowd.

If you had told me Oct 1 that Westry and McLeod would suffer season ending injuries and Benny would get tossed in February and we’d be 18-10….I’d have signed on the dotted line immediately.

I know the losses have been bad, and this team plays in wicked streaks, but Red has done a great job in my opinion. I really didn’t think 20 wins was in play this season.

Being at games and watching him on the sideline interacting with players has been impressive. No obvious late game mistakes that have cost us. Showing us a decent m2m defense and the flexibility to switch defenses has been refreshing.

There’s nothing that I’ve seen at this point that screams “red flag”. Next year I will have greater expectations, and I think his boss will too.
Well said.

What I want to see is if we lose kids we don't want to lose in the portal. That is key to me. If we lose up to 3 players to the portal, guys we don't want to lose, that won't reflect well on Red. My back ground is the brokerage business. Whenever a broker left a firm, and we are talking big money, life changing money, we always said that it was really because they hated the manager. This off season, both who we get and who if anyone, we lose, will be very telling.

What I want to see is if we lose kids we don't want to lose in the portal. That is key to me. If we lose up to 3 players to the portal, guys we don't want to lose, that won't reflect well on Red. My back ground is the brokerage business. Whenever a broker left a firm, and we are talking big money, life changing money, we always said that it was really because they hated the manager. This off season, both who we get and who if anyone, we lose, will be very telling.
I agree but would clarify the "we" in "we don't want to lose" needs to be the coaches, not us.

For example (not saying this is true), if the coaches really want Judah back, losing him would be a negative, even if the fans here might not want him back.

I agree but would clarify the "we" in "we don't want to lose" needs to be the coaches, not us.

For example (not saying this is true), if the coaches really want Judah back, losing him would be a negative, even if the fans here might not want him back.
That goes without saying and that was what I was trying to say. I don't care what the fan base thinks.

It’s imperative that we keep JJ, Q, Bell, Brown IMO. You make a good point it reflects on red, the coaching staff, but it may also reflect on where we are as a program and how we’re doing with the NIL.

We gave up almost 60 in the second half in 20
minutes. That translates to 80 plus in an NBA game with a 24 second clock. Everyone got destroyed. We couldn’t locate the coaches son at all. JJ and Bell were the worst two, but they had help.
Good thing it was a college game.

It’s imperative that we keep JJ, Q, Bell, Brown IMO. You make a good point it reflects on red, the coaching staff, but it may also reflect on where we are as a program and how we’re doing with the NIL.

I really don’t see us losing any of those players you mentioned

Couple things -

Bell has some serious anger issues. He seems like he could go after a coach or a teammate or even a fan at anytime and not sure that is healthy. Great shooter and underrated athlete but man is he close to something bad happening out there. He told a fan to ‘shut the ’ today - not good.

The energy when Q has the ball as a decision maker is crazy vs Judah. You can feel a great pass or a crazy shot or a crazy turnover happening every time and the domes energy level definitely picks up. Fun couple of yrs ahead for sure.

Malique is so freaking smart out there it’s crazy - his offensive diversity is expanding - he could be a 15/10/5 guy before he’s done - especially with Q as a distributor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom