Weather question for Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Weather question for Saturday

suinaustin

Walk On
If by chance the game does get cancelled, do you think is would be rescheduled for Sunday? UV has a Monday game at WF. We are off until Thursday.

If by chance the game does get cancelled, do you think is would be rescheduled for Sunday? UV has a Monday game at WF. We are off until Thursday.

Just got an email from a buddy who lives there and is a UVA grad.

"We had a similar situation with a GT game last year or the year before and they still played it (the stadium was pretty empty). I think it all depends on if Cuse can get a flight into town or not."

I told him we will be using the plane with the skis instead of tires.

If the game does get postponed, when and where would it be posted? I am travelling Saturday morning (couple of hours) to meet a friend (who is also travelling the same distance from a different direction) to watch the game in Watertown, NY. I can only assume somebody on here who has a better source than I would post something on here as soon as it is known.

If both teams and the refs are there, they will play. We usually practice at the normal time Friday afternoon, then charter out. Would not be surprised if we fly earlier and practice at JPJ.

My friend in C-ville said the snow is supposed to start early Friday morning and continue until Sunday morning. If they want to get there, I imagine it will have be after practice on Thursday. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

My friend in C-ville said the snow is supposed to start early Friday morning and continue until Sunday morning. If they want to get there, I imagine it will have be after practice on Thursday. Anyone know if this is a possibility?
Of course it is possible. It is a charter. Charters go when you want to go.

Of course it is possible. It is a charter. Charters go when you want to go.

Thank you. Any idea if it is likely at this point?

DAD
it won't let me post so post for me?

There will be no game Saturday. The official Virginia Weather Network (look us up on facebook) forecast for UVA is lots and lots of snow. Syracuse style snow, potential (notice the word, this is Wednesday and we are still 48+ hours out) for 16 to 28 inches depending on where the bands set up and if sleet mixes in. Of course 2 feet of snow for a seasoned Syracuser like my father (AccuRater) is akin to a November flurry, however here in the South we will shut it down tight. My wife went shopping last night and there was not a loaf of bread to be found. I wonder why the southerners go and get bread and milk when snow is in the forecast, do they think that snow shuts the cows down and kills yeast? I wonder...

Son of AccuRater

DAD

There will be no game Saturday. The official Virginia Weather Network (look us up on facebook) forecast for UVA is lots and lots of snow. Syracuse style snow, potential (notice the word, this is Wednesday and we are still 48+ hours out) for 16 to 28 inches depending on where the bands set up and if sleet mixes in. Of course 2 feet of snow for a seasoned Syracuser like my father (AccuRater) is akin to a November flurry, however here in the South we will shut it down tight. My wife went shopping last night and there was not a loaf of bread to be found. I wonder why the southerners go and get bread and milk when snow is in the forecast, do they think that snow shuts the cows down and kills yeast? I wonder...

Son of AccuRater

If the teams and refs are there they'll play.

If the teams and refs are there they'll play.
they also need people to work the clocks and other things. Not to mention the broadcast fees the schools recieve so they have to make it as well. But the key is the gov If he declares a state of emergency, everyone could be there and they can't play the game. It happened to syracuse in new Jersey back in the 90's.

DAD

Son of AccuRater
:eek: You've forgotten the eggs and toilet paper!! At the first hint of a snowstorm you have to run out and buy bread, eggs, milk and toilet paper or you'll all die of starvation and germs that will attack through messy bottoms!! :eek:

I live in Richmond and my son in Charlottesville and they are currently saying a foot to a foot and a half in C'Ville by Saturday morning and then another 3-5 on Saturday. But they still don't know exactly where the line between getting dumped on and moderate is, so there is still a chance it could be less.

"depending on where the bands set up".

Hate myself for this, but here goes: Won't our band set up on our side and theirs on the other side? (Lying in my hammock down here on my third Rum Runner. Oh how I miss the Syracuse winters)

Last edited:
:eek: You've forgotten the eggs and toilet paper!! At the first hint of a snowstorm you have to run out and buy bread, eggs, milk and toilet paper or you'll all die of starvation and germs that will attack through messy bottoms!! :eek:

Hey Hoo, down in Hooville, do you pay any attention to your women's soccer team?

Did you know this winter storm has a name? Jonas. When Coach K found out he said, AMAZING!

Winter Storm Jonas
Chris Dolce
Published: January 20, 2016

Winter Storm Jonas will impact a large swath of the country from the mid-South and Ohio Valley to the East Coast starting Thursday.

Hardest Hit Areas May See Up to 2 Feet of Snow, But Northern Extent of Heaviest Snow Uncertain

map_specnewsdct-84_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Snowfall Forecast

We are confident that parts of the East will see more than a foot of snow from Winter Storm Jonas, particularly in the Mid-Atlantic states. It's not out of the question that some locations will see up to 2 feet of snow. This includes parts of eastern West Virginia, western Virginia and possibly portions of the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore metro areas.

There is less confidence in how heavy the snow amounts will be the farther north you travel along the I-95 corridor, including from New York City to southern New England. Snowfall amounts in this swath will be dependent on the exact track of the area of low pressure associated with Jonas.

end of forecast

If the bookies want to make sure they see some action and make their vig from Saturday's Cuse - Virginia game they may be better served by making a line on whether the game is played, or not.

The Weather Channel has been naming winter storms for a couple of years, trying to get the practice universally adopted. So far its been a big fail. Most meteorologists ignore the naming thing.

They also shot themselves in the foot when they went to reality shows and ignored the weather. They seem to be run by relative incompetents.

I should have also mentioned for anyone traveling to Charlottesville (which honestly I wouldn't recommend) that towns here do not have any capability to handle snow the way they do in the northeast. Back on the hill they would be able to do a decent job on the roads pretty quickly, but here that will not happen.

I have learned not even to venture out in even a little snow here. Why? The roads remain unplowed for a really long period of time and drivers do not know how to drive in snow here. The combination of those two factors means stay home. There are always cars all over the sides of roads when it snows here and many accidents. So if you do travel down here PLEASE heed my warning!! Latest forecast for Charlottesville is 18-24.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom