What I expect at this point… | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

The big men coaching thing is weird. Has Edwards not improved under Griff?

I think a bench coach and elite recruiter are much more important.
Have to think it is easier for a big man to recruit a big man. Not hard to image what is going on in minds of Filipowski, Clingan, etc. when they visit SU and are surrounded by ex-guard coaches 7-10" shorter than themselves.

Hop's last year, HE stopped trying to recruit, and Boeheim didn't even notice.

Around this time was the famous photo of Boeheim sleeping at a basketball game with mouth agape.

Boeheim only would travel to New England to see prep schools that played against Buddy. That's where our recruits came from almost exclusively after Mike left.
The sleeping photo was from 2013.

Bernie Fine did a great job coaching Bigs for us and he was nowhere near a giant, so does size really matter?

Out of curiosity, did Red land any major recruits from his start with SU through 2016?

I get that JB has been more burden than draw in the past few years, so it may be tough to assess just how good a recruiter anyone on the staff may be. Things went horrifically south starting in 2017.

However, prior to that, we were landing classes with multiple top 100 guys. 2016 was Battle, Moyer and Thompson. 2015 was Malachi, Lydon and Howard (damn that was a good class). 2014 was McCullough and Joseph.

Was Red primarily responsible for any of those guys?

Etan could also be one of the top recruiters in the country if he wanted. Can you imagine the impression he'd make on kids and their parents?

Not sure why anyone thinks Etan would be a coach or recruiter. He’s been pretty clear that he thinks the entire enterprise is exploitive and racist. Pretty sure he’d see joining in that enterprise to be about equivalent to signing on as a guard at a concentration camp.

The big men coaching thing is weird. Has Edwards not improved under Griff?

I think a bench coach and elite recruiter are much more important.
Jesse Edwards has improved more since his first year than any other player I have ever seen under Boeheim.

His improvement has been remarkable.

And he looks very well coached - he does fundamental things well - as well as I have seen for a big man.

Basically what I heard last week as well with my since retired 'rumblings' thread.

Wish I knew more about why Red over GMac and retaining Autry. Not expressing a preference, just wondering why.

However, if I do express a preference, it would be to add 1-2 true big men coaches to the staff.

:looks around:

N... no.
Not Listening Excuse Me GIF by Travis

Out of curiosity, did Red land any major recruits from his start with SU through 2016?

I get that JB has been more burden than draw in the past few years, so it may be tough to assess just how good a recruiter anyone on the staff may be. Things went horrifically south starting in 2017.

However, prior to that, we were landing classes with multiple top 100 guys. 2016 was Battle, Moyer and Thompson. 2015 was Malachi, Lydon and Howard (damn that was a good class). 2014 was McCullough and Joseph.

Was Red primarily responsible for any of those guys?
Sooooo… nothing, eh? Really inspires confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom