What type of season would Carleton have in the NCAA? | Syracusefan.com

What type of season would Carleton have in the NCAA?

Eric15

Living Legend
Just curious what people think… would they be maybe a 5-6 seed in the tourney type team? Better? Worse?

They could win the championship in a mid-major conference. They'd be middle of the pack in a decent 'major' conference (PAC-12, SEC, Big 12) and lower half in the ACC and B10. Probably top 3 in the Big East or AAC.

TOP 20 team in the nation. Top 4 in any major conference. Top in any lower level conference without question.

I would say they would be bottom 3rd in any of the P5 conferences. You have to remember they have nothing at all in the middle. They play a style of defense that is tough the first time you see it but it would be scouted and they would have to adjust or be exposed. They simply do not have the personnel to match up defensively with P5 teams. Yes they have a couple of very nice players and a plethora of shooters but their big advantage in these exhibitions is that they are playing teams with lots of new parts and limited practice time while every year their core has been together for at least 3 seasons and can practice as much as they want to. They may start off the season hot but once they were figured out they would really struggle. I'm not convinced they would win the better mid-major conferences outright. I also felt they were much better last year than they were this year.

I would think a team that has won multiple championships in canada probably knows how to adapt enough to be a solid team in most NCAA leagues even without the size.

I would think a team that has won multiple championships in canada probably knows how to adapt enough to be a solid team in most NCAA leagues even without the size.

Its not just size but also speed and athletic ability combined with size. They only have a few guys who can really hang defending perimeter guys in m2m and IMO they are also their best players which is going to ware them down. I think they could still pull some big upsets the way they shoot, pass and are coached but in general they would be at a mismatch disadvantage at most positions most games.

I think everyone is overrating how good Carleton really is. They have been playing teams like Syracuse, Wisconsin, Memphis, etc early in the NCAA teams' seasons. Meanwhile, Carleton has been practicing for months and is already on the 10th+ scrimmage.

I guarantee you that if Carleton played SU in January, it would not be that close of a game.

Carleton would be a very solid mid-major type of team. Not convinced that they would be top 25--I think some of their success against American teams is based upon having some more experienced players who play together all year, and don't have many of the same practice limiting restrictions imposed by the NCAA. That enables them to be in mid-season form during the summer / the exhibition timeframe, when many US college teams are just beginning to officially practice together.

I'm not taking anything away from Carleton, but I think if you put them in the NCAA, and things were on equal footing practice wise, they might come down to earth a bit. That doesn't detract from their impressive performances. They are well coached, tough, and play hard. They'd need to add size [my opinion only] to be a top 25 caliber team.

I would say they would be bottom 3rd in any of the P5 conferences. You have to remember they have nothing at all in the middle. They play a style of defense that is tough the first time you see it but it would be scouted and they would have to adjust or be exposed. They simply do not have the personnel to match up defensively with P5 teams. Yes they have a couple of very nice players and a plethora of shooters but their big advantage in these exhibitions is that they are playing teams with lots of new parts and limited practice time while every year their core has been together for at least 3 seasons and can practice as much as they want to. They may start off the season hot but once they were figured out they would really struggle. I'm not convinced they would win the better mid-major conferences outright. I also felt they were much better last year than they were this year.

I would agree with the exception of the SEC and probably the PAC-12.

One more thing about Carleton--with all of the success they've had against prominent American college basketball teams, double digit victories, etc. -- they have to feel like we're their Kryptonite. They've had us down high teens both years, and we've found ways to beat them both times, while meanwhile they've run roughshod over the competition in all of their other "south of the border" games.

Matchups are weird.

Last edited:
They are the Canadian Butler when Butler was really good. I think they are good without a dominant big man personally. Almost like a villanova team.

They are the Canadian Butler when Butler was really good. I think they are good without a dominant big man personally. Almost like a villanova team.

Bulter had NBA players Hayward and maybe two others that got a cup of coffee in the association. Does Carlton?

I meant in terms of style of play. I think Carleton plays better as a team than Butler ever did though, which to me is more important.

I meant in terms of style of play. I think Carleton plays better as a team than Butler ever did though, which to me is more important.

They likely do with their year round practicing, scrimmaging and of course having a consistent core of players year after year. Talent level however I do not believe they are close to those Butler squads and I have no love for Butler. I'm not trying to put Carlton down as I feel they are an excellent program with a good coach and probably the best team we could have played an exhibition against. I hope we continue to play against them in future seasons, I just think that in general how good they are has been pretty exaggerated.

One more thing about Carleton--with all of the sess they've had against prominent American college basketball teams, double digit victories, etc. -- they have to feel like we're their Kryptonite. They've had us down high teens both years, and we've found ways to beat them both times, while meanwhile they've run roughshod over the competition in all of their other "south of the border" games.

Matchups are weird.
Surprised no one mentioned their lack of depth. They had none. Could be a reason we came back on them.

2015 National Championship

Carleton 74
Kentucky 47

Bulter had NBA players Hayward and maybe two others that got a cup of coffee in the association. Does Carlton?

Plus scouting of Carleton would be much more extensive f they played in the states and coaches would have much better game plans than playing them in a exhibition game. I think beating teams in the summer is a lot easier than beating teams in season

Just curious what people think… would they be maybe a 5-6 seed in the tourney type team? Better? Worse?
Their record against US programs is really impressive but playing US schools in the summer or at the start of the exhibition games, when teams haven't been practicing much, isn't the same as beating them in January or March.

I think they are well coached, run their offense really nicely. Do a great job getting open looks with jumpers and when teams overload to the 3 point circle, taking advantage and finding cutters to the basket. They have 2 or 3 really good outside shooters, their PG is a solid all around player and their 6'6 power forward is a good player who would start for many ACC teams.

They play good man defense and do a really nice job denying open looks from the perimeter. I think their offense and defense are really perimeter oriented because that is the way Canadian teams tend to play.

They are really small compared to a typical ACC team and not very strong either. No shot blockers inside. We haven't beaten them much from the outside...most of our points have been scored with talented players driving to the basket. Ennis and Grant did this a lot last year, and Joseph and Rak did it a lot on Sunday. Looks to me as though they struggle against this, which is a real problem playing US teams.

I think they would finish in the 11-13 range in the ACC. Would be right there with schools mid major schools like Dayton, Temple and the like. They don't have much support so they would have a limited home court advantage.

I agree with most. Border line NCAA team, probably wouldn't make the dance playing in most conferences but in the MAAC, the Patriot League, Horizon League, even the MAC, they would have a good chance of getting in.

if they had a starting 5 that could finish in 1st in the MAAC, then those 5 players would be in the MAAC.

they nothing.

Last year's team was stronger from what I understand. (I live in Ottawa, don't follow them at all, but that is what I have heard).

They have advantages that make it much easier for them to have success in the ex. games. But that does not mean they would be garbage in regular games either.

I think in some years they would make the tournament, whether it was at large or as a lower mid tourney champion. Basically in their stronger years they would be a 8-13 seed type team. But in some of their weaker National Title years they would not be a tourney level team.

I think Power 5 at-large teams in the 9-11 seed line are not really that strong. I certainly see Carleton at that level in certain seasons.

Plus scouting of Carleton would be much more extensive f they played in the states and coaches would have much better game plans than playing them in a exhibition game. I think beating teams in the summer is a lot easier than beating teams in season

It is a lot easier.

But there record in the summer the past 5 years (in aggregate) would be the resume of a top 3 seed. So a downgrade from top 3 seed, to 10-12 seed would seem feasable. Of course its all speculation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom