Where is the Adam Weitsman recruit in this class? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where is the Adam Weitsman recruit in this class?

It's too late now -- we missed out on all of our primary targets for this year / class of 2023.
you said...

" but I expect that quite a bit of whatever we dole out for NIL will be focused on retaining quality players we already have."

So I ask again, which players and how much ?

you said...

" but I expect that quite a bit of whatever we dole out for NIL will be focused on retaining quality players we already have."

And that's what I believe. Because if it's not used that way, then we're going to lose established, high producing talent [like Ja'had Carter], because other schools WILL be willing to poach them by offering a bag. And just to be clear...

#1, I was talking about football, which seems appropriate given that this is the football recruiting forum.

#2, I qualified that I feel differently about basketball -- where 1 player can in and of themselves engineer a program turnaround, so throwing that money at the right stud recruit has a higher value proposition than for football.

#3, Doesn't matter who'd I'd give it to / in what amount, I'm not Adam Weistman. But it isn't difficult to envision high performers like a Jatius Geer blowing up next year, or Alijah Clark, or Gadsden on the other side of the ball. Or maybe we get a pleasant surprise on Friday and LaNorris Sellars honors his commitment, and we want to incentivize him to stay in CNY after he experiences the culture shock of a winter climate. Guys that other teams will actively seek to pry away by throwing huge sums of money at them, which could be deterred by giving them NIL compensation to keep them at SU.

Last edited:
I do-
I'm assuming NIL bags are much larger, and present related challenges spreading $ around "fairly".
What's required to bring in the O-linemen that keep a $2M QB healthy and productive?
Or the best RB's/receivers as weapons for the $2M QB?
So, by your logic, guys don’t block for Pat Mahomes because he gets all the money?

you said...

I’m confused, what is your expectation here? An organized and bulleted list of guys on Weitsman specific NIL deals with specifications on who gets how much?

unless you are a guy “in the know” with big time sources in the program I can’t foresee any of that information ever being public. Depending on the nature of the NIL deals, we might figure out who he offered money too based on appearances, but we won’t get specific amounts just openly written about in an article or posted on the message board Willy nilly

So, by your logic, guys don’t block for Pat Mahomes because he gets all the money?
By my logic, this is something new.
It is not the NFL.
I'm wondering about the challenge presented spreading all the NIL $ around a team without ruffling feathers.

By my logic, this is something new.
It is not the NFL.
I'm wondering about the challenge presented spreading all the NIL $ around a team without ruffling feathers.
The NIL dollars are, conceptually, unlimited, unlike the NFL salaries.

That kid will probably get $2-3 million based off hype and performance
If they are offering Drake Maye $5m i'm sure someone with Hunter's capabilities will get $4m especially if there's a bidding war between those 2.

Animation Money GIF

The way I interpret the comments from Weitsman, his money will go to bringing in new talent, and more than likely, one person, not the O-line, and not existing players we want to prevent portalling. That said, there may be need to cover that side of this as well. As I understand, the potential problem may be that NIL cannot (officially) be tied to performance, or where you play, so a kid could "take the money" and still move on. That seems slippery on a lot of surfaces and I am sure there are lots of people being very careful about the wording of these NIL offers.

The way I interpret the comments from Weitsman, his money will go to bringing in new talent, and more than likely, one person, not the O-line, and not existing players we want to prevent portalling. That said, there may be need to cover that side of this as well. As I understand, the potential problem may be that NIL cannot (officially) be tied to performance, or where you play, so a kid could "take the money" and still move on. That seems slippery on a lot of surfaces and I am sure there are lots of people being very careful about the wording of these NIL offers.
I'm sure the contracts take account of this to protect the sponsor, e.g., funds paid in installments (so the player has to perform across a time period to cash in), tied to a number of ads or in-person appearances for the sponsor, etc. None of this, of course, reflects the actual value of the NIL of 95% of the recipients .. which, independent of their respective teams, quickly approaches zero. But that's another conversation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom