Who is CNY’s greatest player ever? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is CNY’s greatest player ever?

Calvin Murphy was from Norwalk, CT. Born there, raised there and played HS ball there.

I stand corrected, thanks.

I grew up in Section 4, and have always considered myself a CNYer. But enough about me :cool:. We played against Jim Lee (Windsor, NY) in HS, where he was almost unstoppable. I also thought of Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy, but both were from the Buffalo area, so I guess they don't qualify even though we were all fiercely proud of them for being from "upstate" (as in, not NYC).

edit: and I had to dig around in the dust and cobwebs of my mnemonic catacombs (assisted by Google ;)), but Jimmy Collins from Corcoran had a great career at New Mexico State, leading his 1970 team to 27-3 and the Final Four that same year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/yearbyyear/1970
Through Syracuse lore, I've heard about some battles between Bing and Collins 1 on 1.

I thought the question was more about who is the greatest ever from CNY, not who played at SU. Anyways, I know the question is basketball, but the best athlete I ever saw in CNY regardless of how they did as a pro but more how they did as a high school athlete was Pete Holohan.

Benard blunt

Bernard was nasty. So much game, athleticism and and strength for his size. He was a couple inches short of playing high DI. It's too bad his career got derailed by that horrible knee injury while at St. Joe's. Busted his kneecap really bad, if I recall. Still the holds the record for most HS points in CNY, no?

Remember those Bernard Blunt-Dorsey Levens matchups? They were awesome. I was at both their respective home games at JD and Nottingham during Dorsey's senior year. Jam packed houses and great basketball. Sick dunks, too.

I thought the question was more about who is the greatest ever from CNY, not who played at SU. Anyways, I know the question is basketball, but the best athlete I ever saw in CNY regardless of how they did as a pro but more how they did as a high school athlete was Pete Holohan.
Bees- I was thinking the same thing. I went to Liverpool 1 year behind Pete so I saw every game of his basketball and football. Man among boys. He could have played high d1 basketball too. The battles between Pete's L'pool teams and Danny Schayes JD teams were epic. I understand his team won the ND bookstore basketball tournament over Kelly Tripukas team while at ND. He could have been a baseball pitcher if he wanted as well. Rocket arm. If he isn't the best high school athlete from CNY I'd be shocked.
Florange44

Bees- I was thinking the same thing. I went to Liverpool 1 year behind Pete so I saw every game of his basketball and football. Man among boys. He could have played high d1 basketball too. The battles between Pete's L'pool teams and Danny Schayes JD teams were epic. I understand his team won the ND bookstore basketball tournament over Kelly Tripukas team while at ND. He could have been a baseball pitcher if he wanted as well. Rocket arm. If he isn't the best high school athlete from CNY I'd be shocked.
Florange44
Not to hijack. But he's eerily similar to Dave Logan from Denver. Same era, although Dave is a little older. Logan was one of only 2 players ever drafted by NFL, NBA, MLB. They even both lasted close to the same years in NFL. And Logan was the coach of Mullen High, 3 titles in a row led by AAM, 4 total.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Logan_(American_football)

The best? No question it's ... To the Editor;
How can there be any question about who the best basketball player ever to emerge from CNY? It isn't even close. Brianna Stewart has dominated the game at high school, college and international levels. The only reason it hasn't happened in the pros yet is because she is still in college!
Fred Hintz
Syracuse

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...yning_calls_and_a_new_view_quick_hits_fr.html

The best? No question it's ... To the Editor;
How can there be any question about who the best basketball player ever to emerge from CNY? It isn't even close. Brianna Stewart has dominated the game at high school, college and international levels. The only reason it hasn't happened in the pros yet is because she is still in college!
Fred Hintz
Syracuse

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/ind...yning_calls_and_a_new_view_quick_hits_fr.html

She very well may be the most decorated of all to come out of CNY when her career is said and done. Needs a WNT gold medal in the Olympics and a few WNBA titles to cement it. I have no doubt she'll get those either. No one will ever outwork her. She is a workaholic in the gym. Always perfecting her game. She used to be at the DTown Y at 7:30 on Saturday mornings, in a nearly empty gym, working on her moves. Her father would show up around 8:30 after lifting, I think, and just feed her passes for an hour. She would drain threes with ease.

I told Brian before she played her first game with UConn that she will go down as the best female player of all time. That is, of course, barring injury. Brianna could, if need be, play all five positions on the court and play them equally well. She plays aggressively on defense, is a shot blocker and great rebounder. She never takes a play off either and is hard worker off the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom